Rolling Road result TDI FR

ewizzy

Went on a rolling road shootout day today with the itr-dc2 forum.

Everyone made bang on thier expected results, with 5 or 6 standard cars (Accord type Rs and Integra Type Rs) all making bang on standard power (ATR is 212 bhp standard and the UKDM ITR is 185 bhp)

So, theres the background info :p

Now, what then happened, considering the bang on figures of the other cars there, I really didnt expect :D

Mine went on the rollers, half way through the day, the air temp was roughly 10 degrees C

Peak power at the Flywheel using the DIN correction was 193.6 Bhp and 292.8lb/ft

This result is from a completely standard Leon TDI FR mk2 with 17.5k miles on teh clock :D :clap:

I was quite frankly amazed, and slightly underwhelmed at some of the results the tuners reckon they have been getting from tuning the FRs :confused: SuperChips 213 bhp and 310 lb/ft for £500 doesnt seem like such a good eal after all ;) J/K

The only thing I can put it down to is that I have thrashed the arse off the car from brand new, I went on a trackday when I had only 300 miles on the clock :happy: [B)]

Hope you all had a good weekend :)

Kind Regards

Alex

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
do you have a copy of the graph available online?

sometimes numbers can be increased by wheelspin (where the losses for that point will be low on coast down but 'seem' higher)

Moley RUFC

Up in the Lickeys........
Nov 20, 2006
Lickey,Worcs
I agree wheelspin can be an issue, but in all honesty if everyone had the same test on the FR-TDI i would guess the average bhp would be about 185-190 anyway. Its quite often proved certainly with ''newer'' diesel engines and engine management.

Aside from diesel i had a Saxo VTR which was supposed to be 98bhp standard, had it tested 3 weeks into having it brand new and it was at 114bhp. Only 6bhp below the VTS at the time!!

ewizzy

There was definately no wheelspin, well, there was until we had 3 big blokes sitting on the front.... I declined the offer to sit on te front of a front wheel drive car doing 85 mph held down with a grotty ratchet strap lol

I do have a copy of the graph, just not online.

With regards to te torque being WAyyy Hiiii.... its not that much higher than it should be, standard is supposed to be 258lbft and 170bhp. So 30 odd lb/ft and 20 bhp on a cold day isnt that bad :)

k4ith

Goodson!
Sep 3, 2006
West Lothian
there's the old urban myth that new cars from the factory are coming in higher than the stated bhp, i did see a TFSi making more than the acclaimed manufacturer bhp when out on a r/r when my golf was getting stripped of perf/parts, also my brothers mk4 gti was supposed to be 150bhp but was infact 161 standard, but as someone stated its the R/R lottery.

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Went on a rolling road shootout day today with the itr-dc2 forum.

Everyone made bang on thier expected results, with 5 or 6 standard cars (Accord type Rs and Integra Type Rs) all making bang on standard power (ATR is 212 bhp standard and the UKDM ITR is 185 bhp)

So, theres the background info :p

Now, what then happened, considering the bang on figures of the other cars there, I really didnt expect :D

Mine went on the rollers, half way through the day, the air temp was roughly 10 degrees C

Peak power at the Flywheel using the DIN correction was 193.6 Bhp and 292.8lb/ft

This result is from a completely standard Leon TDI FR mk2 with 17.5k miles on teh clock :D :clap:

I was quite frankly amazed, and slightly underwhelmed at some of the results the tuners reckon they have been getting from tuning the FRs :confused: SuperChips 213 bhp and 310 lb/ft for £500 doesnt seem like such a good eal after all ;) J/K

The only thing I can put it down to is that I have thrashed the arse off the car from brand new, I went on a trackday when I had only 300 miles on the clock :happy: [B)]

Hope you all had a good weekend :)

Its not unusal for VW Marques engine pwr results to be higher the PD 130 would often push out 145/8bhp in standard form, so if we assume that the Superchip results were 213 take a nominal 35bhp off would give you 178 - still over the published figures.

Did some repeat runs using my G Tec Pro. now I have 1K+ on the clock:
PWR AT THE WHEELS after 4 runs averaged, condition wet/damp 10c
141.6HP / 105.25Kw 281.75T Nm 8.725sec 0-62/100Kph [road tests give 8.3]
will repeat these at the next 1k and so on
Now weather these results are good or bad only time will tell. ............

Last edited: