RS Focus Mk2 Frozen White.

OldSpeckledBen

Jun 8, 2010
Leicester
I'm in two minds whether to go 200 cel sport cat, non resonated, or de cat resonated, whats your views and why.

I personally would go for the sports cat and non resonated, like someone said the de cat will have trouble passing MOT and will bring up engine warning light :(

Keep up the good work :)

RS Dave

Nov 18, 2010
Durham
I personally would go for the sports cat and non resonated, like someone said the de cat will have trouble passing MOT and will bring up engine warning light :(

Keep up the good work :)
Yes I agree, initially I was always going the sport cat non resonated route, but when I was at the RR day a lot of people were in the opinion of de cat, resonated, yes the de cat route is obviously cheaper, but my main concern is Track days & noise levels, so even though the sport cat route is more expensive, I think for peace of mind that's the way to go, and some Insurance company's do not like the de cat because as far as they are concerned it would not pass a MOT, just another excuse for them not to pay out.

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Yes I agree, initially I was always going the sport cat non resonated route, but when I was at the RR day a lot of people were in the opinion of de cat, resonated, yes the de cat route is obviously cheaper, but my main concern is Track days & noise levels, so even though the sport cat route is more expensive, I think for peace of mind that's the way to go, and some Insurance company's do not like the de cat because as far as they are concerned it would not pass a MOT, just another excuse for them not to pay out.

Good reasons matey. I recently had a Milltek turbo back fitted on my LCR and have to say I did think about a de-cat, but it's less hassle MOT wise, insurance wise and in terms of noise I don't want mine too loud. Just a nice sporty exhaust note will do me, the main thing was having a sports cat on the car for performance gains :)

k1_kid

I love this car, best colour combonation by a mile, a mate has one in where I live in black and white but i like the touches you have done, the stripe etc, not to mention under the bonnet ;)

OldSpeckledBen

Jun 8, 2010
Leicester
but my main concern is Track days & noise levels, so even though the sport cat route is more expensive, I think for peace of mind that's the way to go, and some Insurance company's do not like the de cat because as far as they are concerned it would not pass a MOT, just another excuse for them not to pay out.

Thanks for the comments guys, my targate is 390 bhp 400 lbsft of torque.

I agree, track day noise levels is another reason not to de cat it and a good point about the insurance companys.

Thats alot of torque :thumbup: that'll be very handy around a track :)

chopper-lew

Jan 29, 2011
Helensburgh, Scotland
Thanks for the comments guys, my targate is 390 bhp 400 lbsft of torque.

Thats roughly what mine is running mate. Absolutly awsome torque, a real hoot every time I drive it!

The JWR 120+ tuning package is a good way to get there, thats the route I went after getting rid of the bluefin software. The difference is like night and day.

Best of luck.

Lew.

RS Dave

Nov 18, 2010
Durham
Thats roughly what mine is running mate. Absolutly awsome torque, a real hoot every time I drive it!

The JWR 120+ tuning package is a good way to get there, thats the route I went after getting rid of the bluefin software. The difference is like night and day.

Best of luck.

Lew.
JWR have a very good reputation, I only went down the Mountune route because of the Ford Mountune warranty, but as soon as I put the inlet plenum on, the warranty is void anyway, there is a MP350 upgrade due out shortly, again no warranty,but the trouble with Mountune is when, so it could be a while, I have spoken to JWR and he his willing to make a map for my RS with either 550or 650 injectors, but the obvious thing to do is wait for Mountune, but I am not the most patient of people, so I am going ahead with the 76mm Milltec system anyway, at least the exhaust side of things is then done, ready for whichever way I go. :)

STom

I think this video is interesting for you!
youtube.com/watch?v=3fliquibzhQ

I did not think, that car is originally bright and the end of the building is foiling!

RS Dave

Nov 18, 2010
Durham
I think this video is interesting for you!
youtube.com/watch?v=3fliquibzhQ

I did not think, that car is originally bright and the end of the building is foiling!
Thank You, I really enjoyed that until they put the rap on it, looks better in gloss black, thanks Dave. :)

RS Dave

Nov 18, 2010
Durham
Hi guys, I was at one of your VAG meetings Wednesday night, and Darren took some photos of my RS, what do you think, I am well chuffed. :)

DSC_0081-1.jpg

DSC_0087-1.jpg

DSC_0080-1.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Looking very nice.
400 ft-lbs will feel amazing as long as you can get it onto the road and not just spin it away or torque steer into a ditch.
Keep up the updates, lots of us have this car as a target to beat.
For me its either this or a R26R, will be happy when beating them both, lol

RS Dave

Nov 18, 2010
Durham
Looking very nice.
400 ft-lbs will feel amazing as long as you can get it onto the road and not just spin it away or torque steer into a ditch.
Keep up the updates, lots of us have this car as a target to beat.
For me its either this or a R26R, will be happy when beating them both, lol
In the dry its amazing how Ford have managed to do it, as there is very little torque steer, but in the wet its a different animal, you just cant get the power down unless you feed it in nice and gently, I had the traction control cutting in at 130mph in 5th gear in the wet now that's :censored: interesting, :)

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Bit out of my price range just now and I've only had the LCR a year so not done with it yet :) Fancy a blue RS once I've had my fun with the Leon tho :)

chopper-lew

Jan 29, 2011
Helensburgh, Scotland
I was a bit worried about the massive torque but the trick dif handles it so well.

The superchips stage 2 was rubbish. very on/off boost and a sudden blast of torque wich wasnt nice. You could feel the torque steer a lot with that. Ive heard the stage 3 was even worse so thats why i abandoned it and went to autotech/jwr for more power and a better map and thats exactly what i got.

Soooo smooth, loads of power all the way through the rev range.

Theres a sudden boost of torque as soon as you put your foot down as if you were driving a modern fast turbo diesel, but instead of dropping off at 3-4000 revs like a TD engine does, it just gets stronger and faster all the way to 7000 rpm.

I would go as far as saying the torque steer was less than factory standard, ie hardly existant. the maps really are that good.

RS Dave

Nov 18, 2010
Durham
I was a bit worried about the massive torque but the trick dif handles it so well.

The superchips stage 2 was rubbish. very on/off boost and a sudden blast of torque wich wasnt nice. You could feel the torque steer a lot with that. Ive heard the stage 3 was even worse so thats why i abandoned it and went to autotech/jwr for more power and a better map and thats exactly what i got.

Soooo smooth, loads of power all the way through the rev range.

Theres a sudden boost of torque as soon as you put your foot down as if you were driving a modern fast turbo diesel, but instead of dropping off at 3-4000 revs like a TD engine does, it just gets stronger and faster all the way to 7000 rpm.

I would go as far as saying the torque steer was less than factory standard, ie hardly existant. the maps really are that good.
Yes, I have spoken to Jason at JWR and he has a very good reputation, and if I had not gone down the Mountune route, I would most certainly gone the JWR route, but there is time yet.:)

chopper-lew

Jan 29, 2011
Helensburgh, Scotland
Yes, I have spoken to Jason at JWR and he has a very good reputation, and if I had not gone down the Mountune route, I would most certainly gone the JWR route, but there is time yet.:)

The montune route has also had excellent reviews.

the only thing i (and many others) would advise against is the superchips stage 2 or 3. Stage 1 was good for the money though.

Nice pics by the way!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise