Running rough - coilpack?

Adjay

Sep 5, 2011
Donegal,ireland
I just have a petrol cupra it was by pure chance that I found out. a customer of mine owns a seat dealership and he was entering my chassis number on computer for a part and noticed a campaign for coil packs and he noticed under my chassis number that it was not listed as being notified yet..

tlewis14

I just have a petrol cupra it was by pure chance that I found out. a customer of mine owns a seat dealership and he was entering my chassis number on computer for a part and noticed a campaign for coil packs and he noticed under my chassis number that it was not listed as being notified yet..

i wonder if this applies to everyone, i suppose the every one that has had one of the earlier ones have allready changed the coilpacks. what do you have to do take your car in or would they hand you the number of coilpacks on offer? i will pop into my local stealers and see if its allready been in or not.

TomJackUK

Jan 3, 2011
Or, even easier - just give them a call and give them your reg. They can look it up, and then book you in if your car is on the recall list :)

stefduff

I got mine booked in yesterday for 4 new coilpacks, they only seem to replace the genuine seat ones though.

RICKY3

Jun 2, 2012
AYRSHIRE
I got mine booked in yesterday for 4 new coilpacks, they only seem to replace the genuine seat ones though.

Depends on garage I got 4 changed and one was a aftermarket one
Garage said they like to fit them in full sets:)

Sent from my iPhone

Jammo

LCR 225 SEE YAA
Dec 27, 2013
Southampton
Advice

Hello all im after some advice, I had a coil pack fail, so I changed all 4 as a precaution!
the car is idling fine etc but the engine management light still comes on! My scanner is saying that all 4 coil packs are open circuit!!? Ive erased the fault but they keep coming back! I don't think they are genuine coil packs they came from euro car parts...could the packs be at fault?
I have a cupra r 225

Last edited:

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Could be they sold you the wrong part. Swap one of them for one of the old ones that was still working and see if the fault code disappears for that cylinder.

Jammo

LCR 225 SEE YAA
Dec 27, 2013
Southampton
Did exactly that! Tirns out they were the wrong coils!
Fitted correct ones now!
How ever im still getting system too lean bank 1!
The plugs have been changed, the wiring is good!
I cant see any vacuum leaks or boost leaks!
It seems to not have alot of boost going through the gears!
The waste gate is good! Ive still got an intermittent miss fire :/!
Any pointers buddy?

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Does sound like boost leak if you're feeling less boost, but usually that would mean the system would be too rich as there's less air. Could be a dodgy MAF, either instead of or as well as a boost leak. You really want to get the system pressure tested, boost leaks tend to end up in places you can't visibly see...

Jammo

LCR 225 SEE YAA
Dec 27, 2013
Southampton
I would of thought you would hear air escaping underload?
Il get it tested anyway to elimintate that!
Alot of people seem to have issues with the n75 valve?
Ive replaced the DV! Its an awesome car quick as, but this issue is doing my head in aha!

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Not with the racket the engine makes while running. There's a thread called DIY Boost Leak Tester in here somewhere, search for that.

I think you maybe mean the N249 valve, I think a lot of the "issues" are in people's heads. Folk bypass it and think they've got more boost, like the placebo effect. I bypassed mine and the car felt absolutely no better and sounded funny on dumping. If you did mean the N75, sometimes changing to a newer revision can help if your car is mapped and your valve is an older type but again, don't expect a night-and-day difference.

Jammo

LCR 225 SEE YAA
Dec 27, 2013
Southampton
Will do bud!
Ive just been looking at issues on here and the n249 has popped up few times!
May just get a new one aha! Ive just not had issues before, it use to go like a scalded rat! Im a mercedes tech so ive done all the basic checks!
Would disconnecting the MAF when its mis firing (more when cold) point towards a faulty MAF?

Ripraw

Hi. Im having coil pack based fun.

Had one fail, the car would run fine until on boost and then big misfire, used the scanner and it showed a DTC for coil pack 1.

I changed all 4 as a precaution and all seemed well for a while.

On a recent trip the car was fine for about 15 minutes, then immediately started to misfire, it got progressively worse until it stalled out at idle. I checked it with the scan tool and had two codes for intermittent misfire on 1 and 3. I left it for a few hours, then fired it up and it ran perfectly. For about 15 minutes, then same problem. Rechecked codes and yup, 1 and 3 intermittent misfire.

Does this sound like the coil packs I have bought are a bit pants or am I needing to look elsewhere? I only ask as I dont want to bin another hundred or so quid for no result.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Forgot to mention its an 02 Cupra (Not an R)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jammo

LCR 225 SEE YAA
Dec 27, 2013
Southampton
I had a similar issue with mine! I replaced all 4 coil packs and the mosfire was still there! Was due to me not buying decent coil packs! Lesson learnt! You checked the spark plugs and the coil pack wiring? That common for getting heat damage! Hope thats some help bud!

Ripraw

Darn, ok well I will get some decent ones then. Whats the current thinking on the best replacements? Am I off to VAG or GSF?

I changed the plugs for new ones, the cars done about 40 miles in the last year on the new plugs and packs so they are still as new :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.