Running Spare wheel questions?

davels

soon 2B 2 wheeler!
Jun 16, 2006
Norwich
ello was told by my tyre.s that i should have my tyre.s this week, but they have sent me an email with a consignment no. and saying it's gonna be monday. just checked on the consignment no. and it doesen't exsist?? so i don't know how long it's gonna be:cry:

my question is how long can i run on my steelie spare? will it thro out the tracking? (doesn't really matter as getting a four wheel alignment done when new wheels fitted anyway) any other probs it can thro up? any help appreciated:blink:

BJM

Sep 25, 2005
Houston, Renfrewshire
I cant see it throwing out the tracking. IIRC the steelie spare on the pre-facelift FR is the same size as the alloys. Either way it will be the same rolling radius. VCan't see any problems running it at all!

davels

soon 2B 2 wheeler!
Jun 16, 2006
Norwich
since changing to the spare and driving it home last weekend, my traction at rear has improved dramatically, the feeling like the ars* end is gonna go when going round bends has all but gone, i think there may have been an underlying fault with the old tyre, i thought it was just the way the car was cos of the big lump at the front:doh:
cheers for the quick replies guys

Kam

Prof. Myang Li - Yum!
Jun 6, 2002
South East
Visit site
Don't see it being a problem running it for a while. If there are different tread patterns, then I would take it a little easier.

Just placed an order with Mytyres, hope they can deliver before Christmas.

davels

soon 2B 2 wheeler!
Jun 16, 2006
Norwich
it's a brand new bridgestone turenza like the others, never been used i don't think, just another quick question. should i put the new ones when i get em on the front or the rear?

Kam

Prof. Myang Li - Yum!
Jun 6, 2002
South East
Visit site
it's a brand new bridgestone turenza like the others, never been used i don't think, just another quick question. should i put the new ones when i get em on the front or the rear?

I would place the new ones on the rear and get the worn ones to the front to get them used up. They say that new tyres on the back also help to prevent the back stepping out in the wet like at roundabouts...

FR-RUSH

IBIZA FR TDI BLACK MAGIC
Dec 3, 2005
Islington
i cant wait to get rid of my original tyres that came on the car, really get no traction around long bends always feel the front end is going.

but i have had over 20k out of the original tyres, but i wont be buying the same again. i think they were the turenzas.

Kam

Prof. Myang Li - Yum!
Jun 6, 2002
South East
Visit site
i cant wait to get rid of my original tyres that came on the car, really get no traction around long bends always feel the front end is going.

but i have had over 20k out of the original tyres, but i wont be buying the same again. i think they were the turenzas.

Probably made for long service life, which often means mediocre performance. Not for "real" driving.

FR-RUSH

IBIZA FR TDI BLACK MAGIC
Dec 3, 2005
Islington
yeah thats what i guessed, ie hard compound = more miles = less grip. leading to no fun on round abouts. im also going to go for a low noise tyre this time around too.

davels

soon 2B 2 wheeler!
Jun 16, 2006
Norwich
have you got a front strut brace mate, my understeer is non exsistant now unless i really push it an the wet, it just the oversteer i've got probs with, but yep the turenza's are only ok when really warmed up, they hold no heat in em! and in the wet i can't take my engine anywhere near 2000 rpm talk about unitentional burnout:blink:

FR-RUSH

IBIZA FR TDI BLACK MAGIC
Dec 3, 2005
Islington
yeah your right there, they are not too expensive either, so come summer, some sticky tyres and a strut brace will be on the cards.

davels

soon 2B 2 wheeler!
Jun 16, 2006
Norwich
Right cancelled my order with mytyre as i found a bulg in another tyre, so gotta get em done asap, ordered 4 "Kumho" (think thats right) k31's for £250 fitted and balanced, apparently a very very good tyre in dry and wet, the guy at the shop even googled em for me and the reviews 96% average on 700 reviews and 10 out of 10 scores of all 8.5 to 9's. getting them fitted tommorow morning so i'll let you know what their like. they are £62 a corner at the mo, but their planning on breaking in to F1 so the price could double or even triple if they do.

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
the spare wheel if same size and tread patern should never be a problem on a car how ever long you have it on there the spacesaver type can only be used for up to 80kmph 50mph and handling is a no no! i cnt see a front tyre causing the rear end 'to go' (davels :think: )

gazjones

its exactly the same size you will be fine with it just its very heavy and might make your back end a bit loighter if the original is out the car lol

davels

soon 2B 2 wheeler!
Jun 16, 2006
Norwich
i don't think i said the front tyres would effect my rear end grip, or i can't see the post anyway???

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
since changing to the spare and driving it home last weekend, my traction at rear has improved dramatically, the feeling like the ars* end is gonna go when going round bends has all but gone, i think there may have been an underlying fault with the old tyre,

i might just have missread

davels

soon 2B 2 wheeler!
Jun 16, 2006
Norwich
i replaced the nearside rear tyre = rear end grip.
partly my fault buddy as i didn't state what wheel i changed ;)

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
:) no probs i was confused then!
i got all of my tyres changed (spare alloy as well had tyre fitted) ballanced and fitted and the tracking last month think it came to about £270 for perelli p700 think therebetter than the p zero nero's nice to get that exspensive annual thing out the way!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.