RVC reversing camera installed

RoadRunnerRik

Dec 9, 2017
So I'm putting it here as well cause it may help others too.

As some of you may know our Leons can be fitted with the OEM high rearview camera (like the Golf, the Passat, the A3, the Octavia etc) despite the fact that this was never a factory option. Only problem up to now was the calibration of the camera and the fault that would appear in case of a scan with any of the popular diagnostic tools like VCDS, OBD11, VCP, ODIS etc. That would happen because there is no parameter file for this camera (5Q0980556B) with the correct measurements for the Leon and so ODIS could not calibrate it successfully. Only way is to trick ODIS to think that the camera is mounted on another model for which the camera is a factory option. In our case this model is Skoda Octavia 2017 hatchback.

Mandatory tools:

Original VCP & ODIS Service (in my case 5.1.6)

Optional tool:

VCDS

And it goes like this:
  • We upload Octavia III hatchback parameters with the VCP
  • We manually select in ODIS --> Octavia 2018
  • Select the camera as 6C and not 006C which is the Top View camera (if someone needs help with that PM me)
  • Place the VAS6350 board 1300mm from the rear axle and a bit off center to the left of the camera
  • Begin the calibration procedure by putting the gear selector to R and then giving these measurements:
  • 600mm camera height (that is actual height for a Leon Cupra with stock suspension)
  • 1340mm distance from rear axle (a bit fake in order to trick ODIS)
  • Board height is up to you, in my case it was 10mm since I have the VAS stuck on a cardboard
  • Let the procedure begin the countdown, it should take less than 20"
And voila

View attachment 20373

Feel free to let your retrofitters know and avoid European shops for this. Don't make the same mistake I made by paying 350€ for the same exact kit as this...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Enjoy!

Thanks! I've done it today and it worked like a charm. Finally I get rid of the calibration error in vcds.

Reactions: at0ny and Stefan147
Jul 6, 2021
Hello guys,
Question out of the blue... My camera was retrofitted directly by the SEAT dealer when I bought my Leon, they bought the right camera from SEAT

The only thing I'm missing are the guidance lines that move, mine are fix. Is there a way to activate it in OBD11 or is it something hardware related?

bahyr

Jun 26, 2019
Probably they fitted you with camera Low with static lines. What is the camera module number?

bahyr

Jun 26, 2019
As high line camera was not on the OE Seat Leon MK3 list they can not equip you with.
You can check it with some diagnostic dongle/soft VCDS, OBD11 etc.

Oct 23, 2021
I bought also some cheap one just for test if its working, i wanted to avoid drilling into bumper....its the licence plate light replacement camera.
61W7Z30-tGL._AC_SS350_.jpg

But do you have recommendation how to power such a camera which has LEDs on it? So it will only turn on while in reverse, is the best option to take the power from reverse lights or any other idea? from radio unit or fuse box?

Did you have to remove the bumper to fit the wires etc for this camera I have the same camera all linked up and working just not fitted in the bumper yet as I cannot see a way to get the wires to the bumper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

svenik

Sep 27, 2020
Did you have to remove the bumper to fit the wires etc for this camera I have the same camera all linked up and working just not fitted in the bumper yet as I cannot see a way to get the wires to the bumper

Maybe there is a way in ST, if you remove the plastics in the trunk to get the wires to the trunk. But i removed the bumper.

Oct 23, 2021
Thanks was hoping not to but looks like I will mine is a 2016 SC. Will have to wait for a nicer day to tackle this.

Oct 23, 2021
Thanks for the info in this topic guys managed to install my reverse cam today happy with the outcome
f547d39fa3a7100e1b003a76c3bae0fb.jpg

Shame it’s non moving lines but will do for now until I search for a better quality camera it’s just a cheap one to test

Mar 7, 2020
Fey moths ago i fitted cheap Chinese camera but i was not happy from it. Recently I start to think about OEM camera and thanks for @Stefan147 info I deside to be High Line version. The set was ordered from hire:
The seller is reliable and the set is very good and full. All is OEM and with VW marks on it.
Wiring:
ACC + and ground -> I use the trunk 12V socket as I did with the old camera
Video cable pins on the same blue MIB connector
CAN-> High Line camera is activated via CAN not from the reverse light like the low line. Provided CAN cable has a connector extension so it is very easy to connect it on the MIB unit can cables
For activating I use VCDS.
First enter on CAN module-> installation list-> search and check 6C Back-up Cam. After this step 6C module will appear and CAN communication with it will start.
Second enter on 5F module-> remove the check box for low line camera i use, coding byte 19 bit 4 camera low installed ->next from adaptation -> car_funktion_list_BAP_Gen2_VPS_0x0B change to activated; car_funktion_list_BAP_Gen2_VPS_0x0B_msg_bus select terminal 15.
After this check and if all is OK you will have nice high line camera with 4 view modes.
View attachment 24511
1. Standard view with dynamic turning lines.
View attachment 24512
2. Parallel parking view
View attachment 24513
3. Top view
View attachment 24514
4. Wide angle view
View attachment 24515

To work precisely and the lines to be correct two things must be done. First parameterization, it is done by the seller (parameters for what car he insert to the camera only he knows :) ). And second settings with ODIS as @Stefan147. I do not have ODIS and I didn't make this but camera is working with no issues, only it give error for missing basing settings when scan with VCDS.
went with your guide and AliExpress camera from the link. All good and working, well for the most part.
I think I am experiencing few bugs though, not sure if it's my case only:
  • My physical P button now only activates parking sensors without Park pilot - only beeping without any visualization on head unit, same goes for "auto activation" of park pilot when approaching obstacle in front. To get any visualization, I need to trigger RVC by going to reverse..not that convenient for precise front parking
  • Furthermore from time to time (pretty rarely though), RVC fails to activate, sometimes with an error message "Park pilot is currently unavailable". When this happens and it cannot be triggered manually with physical P button it gives you a rather blind feeling
Is it only me? I did the RVC installation myself, but coding was done by my mechanic with provided instructions, not sure if anything could be done wrong there, seems pretty clear..

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
Thanks for the info in this topic guys managed to install my reverse cam today happy with the outcome
f547d39fa3a7100e1b003a76c3bae0fb.jpg

Shame it’s non moving lines but will do for now until I search for a better quality camera it’s just a cheap one to test

I don't see the point in worrying about picture quality.
As long as you can see behind you, that's all that matters and that picture you have is perfectly adequate for reversing

You're not using it to film a blockbuster movie

Reactions: Ew4rty

mindeto

Aug 19, 2021
Kaunas
I fitted mine a few weeks ago.
Total cost was about £30.

The camwra was from wish, the filter from Amazon and an adaptor from eBay.
A bit of wiring and some extra wire then fitting a coding.

It's not an amazing picture, but it's as good as any car with a RVC I've driven.

8a6c70e6c8d2c3966801189502f11d31.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
fe703cfb8727010aacbc6193cb483c89.jpg
Could you tell me what is this camera? I see it comes with a license number light. Would you like to share how it looks uninstalled? Thank you

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
Could you tell me what is this camera? I see it comes with a license number light. Would you like to share how it looks uninstalled? Thank you
I don't have the link anymore but it's pretty much this:

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
Yeah it worked out really well and looks pretty OEM

I had planned on changing to a more OEM camera but sold the car.

Apr 27, 2022
So I'm putting it here as well cause it may help others too.

As some of you may know our Leons can be fitted with the OEM high rearview camera (like the Golf, the Passat, the A3, the Octavia etc) despite the fact that this was never a factory option. Only problem up to now was the calibration of the camera and the fault that would appear in case of a scan with any of the popular diagnostic tools like VCDS, OBD11, VCP, ODIS etc. That would happen because there is no parameter file for this camera (5Q0980556B) with the correct measurements for the Leon and so ODIS could not calibrate it successfully. Only way is to trick ODIS to think that the camera is mounted on another model for which the camera is a factory option. In our case this model is Skoda Octavia 2017 hatchback.

Mandatory tools:

Original VCP & ODIS Service (in my case 5.1.6)

Optional tool:

VCDS

And it goes like this:
  • We upload Octavia III hatchback parameters with the VCP
  • We manually select in ODIS --> Octavia 2018
  • Select the camera as 6C and not 006C which is the Top View camera (if someone needs help with that PM me)
  • Place the VAS6350 board 1300mm from the rear axle and a bit off center to the left of the camera
  • Begin the calibration procedure by putting the gear selector to R and then giving these measurements:
  • 600mm camera height (that is actual height for a Leon Cupra with stock suspension)
  • 1340mm distance from rear axle (a bit fake in order to trick ODIS)
  • Board height is up to you, in my case it was 10mm since I have the VAS stuck on a cardboard
  • Let the procedure begin the countdown, it should take less than 20"
And voila

View attachment 20373

Feel free to let your retrofitters know and avoid European shops for this. Don't make the same mistake I made by paying 350€ for the same exact kit as this...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Enjoy!
Hello @Stefan147, I was wondering if this would work with the mib1 sat nav ?

mykro

Apr 12, 2022
Yes, you need the kit with both the camera and the wiring. Then all you have to do is the assembly and coding. Ask the seller if the camera comes with the correct parameters otherwise you will also need VCP and not just VCDS.

Picture is OEM quality. Not great not terrible. Our screen is quite low resolution so the camera is not that important. Note that this is the Camera HIGH which was never an option for Leon 5F. It was used on Golfs, Octavias, A3s etc. Do some research in this topic and you will find lots of info about it.

what parameters are needed to know before I order camera?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.