RVC reversing camera installed

Mr_G_76

May 3, 2019
Finally got around to wiring a camera to my ST, I used an Ampire KC802-NTSC camera and powered it using the relay method. Havnt actually mounted the camera yet, but mocked it up and tested with engine on and off and it works great
20191026_175819.jpg

Last edited:

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
Finally got around to wiring a camera to my ST, I used an Ampire KC802-NTSC camera and powered it using the relay method. Havnt actually mounted the camera yet, but mocked it up and tested with engine on and off and it works great View attachment 10799
I was planning on just using a cheap Chinese camera but that picture quality is so much better. Might have to get an Ampire one now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Nov 17, 2019
Hi everyone and thanks for the really useful information, I have managed to install the reverse camera ( number plate one) successfully. Let me know if you need any information. Sadly I forgot to take any picture during the process. The car is Seat Leon MK3 tech pack 2016 1.6 TDI. I will upload pictures later.

Nov 17, 2019
Hi everyone and thanks for the really useful information, I have managed to install the reverse camera ( number plate one) successfully. Let me know if you need any information. Sadly I forgot to take any picture during the process. The car is Seat Leon MK3 tech pack 2016 1.6 TDI. I will upload pictures later.

Attachments

• IMG_20191118_175808__01.jpg
    IMG_20191118_175808__01.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 328
  • IMG_20191118_175816.jpg
    IMG_20191118_175816.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 318
  • IMG_20191118_175729.jpg
    IMG_20191118_175729.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 319
Reactions: Lozzy15
Oct 13, 2019
Hi, can anyone explain how they ran the wire from the back to the front? Can't seem to find a way to get the wire from near the glove compartment to the back of the head unit - they seem to be separate and nowhere to get through. All the cables are going up into the dash. Is there another way to get behind there? Thanks

Godzzi

Nov 11, 2019
just started to do this today and I'm half way.
- tested first to see if the camera works while powered from the cigarette lighter
- opened the side dash panel where you can see the wire after you run it up beside all other wires.
- I then was able to grab the wire, pull it through the available space and then ran it down in the A pillar
- ran the wire through the side, next to the seatbelt and all the way to the trunk.

this is where I stopped. WIll continue the next days, curious to see where I can exist the car with the wire to get to the bumper camera. will figure it out.

Nov 17, 2019
just started to do this today and I'm half way.
- tested first to see if the camera works while powered from the cigarette lighter
- opened the side dash panel where you can see the wire after you run it up beside all other wires.
- I then was able to grab the wire, pull it through the available space and then ran it down in the A pillar
- ran the wire through the side, next to the seatbelt and all the way to the trunk.

this is where I stopped. WIll continue the next days, curious to see where I can exist the car with the wire to get to the bumper camera. will figure it out.
Just remove the rear bumper, you will see some flaps on the sides and you can guide the wire through it (a just lift the youcarpet to the side and you will see the flaps there) then you will be able to connect the camera. Add some zip ties to put the cable in place. Hope this helps and hope this is the way to do it ( this is how I have done mine). If cable is long enough I think it will be even better to run it through the original grommet where the original cables run through to the outside of the car. Best to wait from some expert advice from more experienced members.

Nov 17, 2019
Hi, can anyone explain how they ran the wire from the back to the front? Can't seem to find a way to get the wire from near the glove compartment to the back of the head unit - they seem to be separate and nowhere to get through. All the cables are going up into the dash. Is there another way to get behind there? Thanks
When you say head unit do you mean the one in the centre of the car ie the display one? As far as I know to connect the camera you need to remove the unit that is in the glove box and add cables to the blue connector ( you will need some special keys to remove this unit) no need to remove the head unit( display one). Unless you have a different model or an aftermarket head unit. Hope this helps.

Godzzi

Nov 11, 2019
finished the job today. I connected on the blue/black wire from the boot, close to where the 12v socket is. it was mentioned here before that left hand drive cars have the wire on the right. False. It's still on the left side. I haven't tested if the reverse light is providing good power for the camera, I went directly with a relay and got the "good" power from the 12v socket.

I used the same wire path with the parking sensors to exist the car.

What I discovered is that, if you have a the boot open, the reverse light will not light up when reverse is engaged.

Norbert

Oct 16, 2018
I just checked my st how the reverse camera fitted as the new car come hopefully this week.The guy who fitted work for seat(third party)and wired same way behind bumper and connected for power to 12v boot socket and 2 wire go to satnav unit.This time i dont want to pay £200 when i got proper vagcom cable just do myself max 40mins job.
I think will buy ampire camera.another camera recommendation?

Godzzi

Nov 11, 2019
e ended up changing my cheap ebay camera. I went and got a JVC KVCM30 which is not expensive at all (around 35 eur) and the difference is night and day. I truly recommend it.

Jan 8, 2020
United Kingdom
Just about to purchase a Leon FR (2019) and as it doesn't have reversing camera, I am looking to get one installed.

I've seen this (https://www.in-car-install.co.uk/seat-leon-reversing-camera-kit.html#product_tabs_attribute) and had a quote of £375 fitted, which I think seems ok (any thoughts on this?). I am also assuming the camera fitting to the number plate light won't affect the LED light that is currently there? So I will have the same 2 lights above the plate but just the extra bit for the camera?

Also slightly concerned that it is OEM parts and not a genuine SEAT parts, so the look and feel is different, are genuine Seat part installs hard to come by?

Jan 8, 2020
United Kingdom
I can thoroughly recommend Paul from http://poollretrofits.com/seat-leon-rear-view-camera/

He retrofitted an OEM (same as factory) highline reversing camera to my 2017 Leon. Looks and works the same as the factory fit one

I saw this site when researching actually, does looks good. Unfortunately it's quite pricey (£516 or £588 for highline) and is a 10 hour round trip for me from Central Scotland, so too far for me as well.

Norbert

Oct 16, 2018
£100 if you do yourself at home and around 1 hour job.need some tool and vagcom for coding.coding 2mins.i just did mine few days ago. Decent camera was £84.
I paid previously for a guy who fitting cameras for main dealer and I believe he use dirt cheap camera so seat fit cheap thing too.