Safety & Driving Pack (M)

julian24110

Jul 16, 2009
Cornwall
So after 1 MK2 & 2 MK3 Leons I've done it again and am now promoting myself to this MK4 forum

Today I've ordered a Magnetic Grey 1.5 TSI FR due for delivery in late March. This is a big power drop form my current MK3 1.8 FR but I bought myself a 3 Litre Z4 last year for having fun in :cool:

My question is, having gone through a broker to get a fantastic deal I couldn't add the Safety and driving pack (m) as the cars in the deal are already ordered. This pack includes Automatic high beam assist, Dynamic road sign recognition and Dynamic cruise control. Not deal breakers for me but good gadgets to have. Does anyone know if these can be retrofitted? Surely this is just enabling software options as all the hardware must already be there for some of the other included features?

scuj1

Mar 3, 2015
Edinburgh, Scotland
I had no option to add any of these packs back when I ordered my FR Sport back in September but I probably would've taken at least one of them!

Apparently there's no reason why the Lane Assist Camera couldn't be used for the Road Sign Recognition but VAG have limited access from what was possible before in older vehicles. This thread is worth keeping an eye on https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/obd-modifications.463977/

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
So after 1 MK2 & 2 MK3 Leons I've done it again and am now promoting myself to this MK4 forum

Today I've ordered a Magnetic Grey 1.5 TSI FR due for delivery in late March. This is a big power drop form my current MK3 1.8 FR but I bought myself a 3 Litre Z4 last year for having fun in :cool:

My question is, having gone through a broker to get a fantastic deal I couldn't add the Safety and driving pack (m) as the cars in the deal are already ordered. This pack includes Automatic high beam assist, Dynamic road sign recognition and Dynamic cruise control. Not deal breakers for me but good gadgets to have. Does anyone know if these can be retrofitted? Surely this is just enabling software options as all the hardware must already be there for some of the other included features?
East Yorkshire Retrofits just posted on mk3 forum yesterday about some of those upgrades.
If you're moving from regular cruise to adaptive, then you would need a new indicator stalk.
More details and link in post below. Not sure if they already are set up for mk4. And they are a fair drive from Cornwall!

Reactions: julian24110

julian24110

Jul 16, 2009
Cornwall
Sounds like all the main kit is installed but I can see you need extra buttons on the steering wheel for the ACC.

the sign post recognition and auto high beam must just be coding changes surely.

Tell

Staff member
Probably East Yorkshires access to ODIS means they can do more. Separates the people who say they are retrofitters from those that are.

Whilst we are waiting for Tommy and his mk4 mods this Golf 8 thread makes an interesting read:

SFD agreement seems to be rolled out piecemeal to retrofitters. Software updates on the Golf 8 over the air are split to minor and major. Major you get only from the dealer.

Quite a few spinning world reports on there or whatever. eSim loosing connection and reverting back to kph speed warnings with TSR... had that with a duff software update on mib2. Interesting that people report that.

Feels like fun times.

Tell

Staff member
Sounds like all the main kit is installed but I can see you need extra buttons on the steering wheel for the ACC.

the sign post recognition and auto high beam must just be coding changes surely.

Coding changes are blocked by SFD to the home enthusiast now on 2020 models and FL hence why they can do it since they are using ODIS rather than enthusiasts VCDS. My take until the suppliers agree some form of contract.

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012

Ah yes, would likely need to replace steering wheel then?

julian24110

Jul 16, 2009
Cornwall
Probably East Yorkshires access to ODIS means they can do more. Separates the people who say they are retrofitters from those that are.

Whilst we are waiting for Tommy and his mk4 mods this Golf 8 thread makes an interesting read:

SFD agreement seems to be rolled out piecemeal to retrofitters. Software updates on the Golf 8 over the air are split to minor and major. Major you get only from the dealer.

Quite a few spinning world reports on there or whatever. eSim loosing connection and reverting back to kph speed warnings with TSR... had that with a duff software update on mib2. Interesting that people report that.

Feels like fun times.

Wow, a whole new world opening up here. I love tech but only when it works!

I can see many evenings sat on my drive playing with this stuff, something to look forward to in lockdown #4 ?

Tell

Staff member
Wow, a whole new world opening up here. I love tech but only when it works!

I can see many evenings sat on my drive playing with this stuff, something to look forward to in lockdown #4 ?

The VAG PDF materiel in English on SFD for anybody interested. That which dealers and retrofitters have updated to, to use ODIS.... for those technically minded. It was put up on ErWin. You can still clear error codes in the SFD protected control units but not code. But not all control units are protected by SFD. Saying that, but not code, some people managed a bit more so they said. Didn't find any concrete examples thou.

People seem to have made progress modding their virtual cockpit screens across the 2020 Vag brands but that appears to be the lot in documented mods, the rest being hearsay till I see an example. My research upto yesterday.

Ditto Octavia 2020 and Golf 8s.

Reactions: whocarez

adrian001

Apr 19, 2016
Traffic sign and high beam will need the front facing camera, I am not sure if this would be fitted to cars without the pack. ACC would need a new steering wheel button panel and possibly and new radar. You would then need to get the features coded which would be on SFD protected modules.

Tell

Staff member
Traffic sign and high beam will need the front facing camera, I am not sure if this would be fitted to cars without the pack. ACC would need a new steering wheel button panel and possibly and new radar. You would then need to get the features coded which would be on SFD protected modules.
If it's got lane assist then it's a candidate for TSR if SFD doesn't rear it's head until licenses are sorted out. The lane assist camera is the V shaped one mounted behind the mirror area. They always say V shaped one on boards. V is the field of view from above. Looks like this, high definition camera: (I'm sure the Mk4 will look similar)

20210622_143722.png

adrian001

Apr 19, 2016
Just checked the brochure and even the basic spec cars have lane assist, so they should all be able to be upgraded to TSR and high beam assist. If you can get round SFD. My guess would be that they could become available as a software upgrade that you can purchase later via a dealer or over the air.

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
For Obdeleven that will fall into their annual license for the pro and factor the SFD costs into the micro payment apps. I reckon that is where it's heading.

The coding for the Leon 4 must be the well trodden route so it's just SFD stopping that. Assuming that VAG lift SFD on all modules then its back to normal coding.... but may be an annual license for those that already have the Pro but change to a FL car 🙄.

Pre SFD standard code

Click

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
Said V camera. But do you have TSR on it.

TSR is an interesting subject, VAG went right off it a few years back not enabling it on their vehicles then it became back in vogue. Very useful tool to stay within real time speed limits.

Mine has picked up the max speed signs on the back of lorries in France (probably the realistic sign they use) but other than that it works well. In such instances you look and think where did it get that from but greater than 99% time it's correct.

adrian001

Apr 19, 2016
For Obdeleven that will fall into their annual license for the pro and factor the SFD costs into the micro payment apps. I reckon that is where it's heading.

The coding for the Leon 4 must be the well trodden route so it's just SFD stopping that. Assuming that VAG lift SFD on all modules then its back to normal coding.... but may be an annual license for those that already have the Pro but change to a FL car 🙄.
or they may charge you credits for access to each SFD protected module when you do a coding change. I dont think it will be cheap as VW will want a large cut almost to the point of making the changes not viable and ODB11 will have to cover development and maintenance costs.

Tell

Staff member
or they may charge you credits for access to each SFD protected module when you do a coding change. I dont think it will be cheap as VW will want a large cut almost to the point of making the changes not viable and ODB11 will have to cover development and maintenance costs.
Oh yes the micro payment apps wont be so cheap, never use them. Clocked up 420 points now just opening it up and not using them 😍.

Edited in the Ateca pre FL code above. Expect it will be much the same. Its the normal Vag one. You have to find the bus its using which may be different.

Deleted member 123864

Said V camera. But do you have TSR on it.

TSR is an interesting subject, VAG went right off it a few years back not enabling it on their vehicles then it became back in vogue. Very useful tool to stay within real time speed limits.

Mine has picked up the max speed signs on the back of lorries in France (probably the realistic sign they use) but other than that it works well. In such instances you look and think where did it get that from but greater than 99% time it's correct.
Yes, I have TSR. TSR is in fact legally required from 2022

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
I just wish you could turn off lane departure as a default, having an invisible hand grab the wheel in the middle of a sharp corner or jerk the wheel toward incoming traffic is very distracting!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.