Scrapyard turbo conversion for the 8v

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
Im either getting my wires crossed or this could be a nice idea opposed to going for an eaton conversion. Im not fussed about big power for now but a small hike would be nice, good challenge too. What im thinking is:

Manifold and turbo from a non pd non vnt diesel - Im sure it fits the 8v head and should be fine for low boost?
Standard compression - good for 5psi?

I know theres alot of other things to think about and most are in the back of my mind but I would like to hear some peoples thoughts, ideas etc. I know some others must have thought of this......Flapper maybe :whistle:

So..... comments, ideas, opinions, tell me im stupid maybe ;)

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
nah no manifold ive just got a tdi and it won't be too hard to get measurements from as theyres a fair bit of space to do it. Is the 8v crossflow or not?

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
8v's not a cross flow, inlet and exhaust are to the rear of the engine (bulk head side).

I thought the tdi's were the same? I would only be interested in the exhaust side mate.

Cheers Damo, hopefully I can pull it off and not fall at the first hurdle.

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
Yeah Tdi is the same I will get you meausurements tommorow too dark at the moment, hopefully things will match up.

oldeboi

Nov 2, 2009
Ive got an old inlet from a mk2 golf 1.6td laying around, any good to you?

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
Cheers mikeh.

Seen a couple of cars running cross flow 8v's with tb's, only way to go really if your going that route.

Don't need anything inlet end, standard manifold should be fine.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
heard the tdi/8v rumour before but thought it had already been checked over to be honest

nice idea, and seen some supercharger kits running standard engines easily at 5 psi on a few cars too but if you can get enough supply of motor's start at 1psi and turn it up til it breaks and modify then to suit

been tempted myself in the past but can't be arsed with swapping engined every weekend, been there done that :) although ripping the front end off and taking the whole eng/box out eventually you'd get used to it ;) or at least modify it to make it easier

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
heard the tdi/8v rumour before but thought it had already been checked over to be honest

nice idea, and seen some supercharger kits running standard engines easily at 5 psi on a few cars too but if you can get enough supply of motor's start at 1psi and turn it up til it breaks and modify then to suit

been tempted myself in the past but can't be arsed with swapping engined every weekend, been there done that :) although ripping the front end off and taking the whole eng/box out eventually you'd get used to it ;) or at least modify it to make it easier

Will have to see if I can find the info if its been tried and failed. Im sure theres a manifold available in the US, thats another option dependent on cost.

I was chatting to the mechanic I use and he said exactly the same as you, plenty of bottom ends about to test limits/wallets.

OllieL

2.0 16v Cupra Sport GTi
Dec 10, 2006
Birmingham
Do it buddy, sounds like a cracking little project.
Can see you getting bored of fixing it rather than thrashing it though

Ollie

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
i almost lost the faith and i did a straight conversion with the G60, but when you got a 8v with some boost... its definatly worth it, lots of fun :)

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
I think its seperate gaskets per port on the 8v, I'm pretty sure I've got some new in the garage (part as a head gasket kit). Would have been a nice idea though.

Any idea if its the ports not matching up or them being too small?

I think a little bit of boost from a small turbo would suit an 8vl, hopefully reliable aswell.......I can only hope! Nice to be reminded that the 2E rods are beefy.

Still havn't seen your g60 about Dolly.

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
I'm sure it matches up fine and it's the port sizes that were the issue

i know original it's not as easy to tell but looking at Payen's catalogue the 2E/AGG uses the same 4 gasket's ( JC152 ) as all the TDI's they list

AEY
1Y
AAZ
1Z
AHU
AFN
ASY
AGP
AQM
AGR
ALH
ASK
ASV

note some of those are euro spec + mk3 engines and although the gasket's are the same of course it may have some other physical difference to consider yet

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
Its a small piece of evidence towards it fitting, cheers for that mate. The 16v use different gaskets then?

Would ETKA give us a clue to the manifold differences?

Wonder if the manifold off my mk4 would fit on :happy:

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Tdi
253300.png

8V
253150.png

16V
253200.png

Last edited: