Seat Ibiza 2014 1.2 Power Steering failure when parking & stationary

se370z

Aug 1, 2016
Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if this is covered before, if it has please direct me to the right thread :)

Recently I bought a lightly damaged Seat Ibiza FR 1.2, the car has been fixed now, i have been driving it for the last couple of days, however it looks like there is an issue with the power steering, it's perfectly fine when driving but when I'm parking or turning the steering wheel around when it's stationary it looks like there is a problem with it (it fails - becomes hard to turn the wheel around).

Does anyone know what is causing this problem?:confused: also the steering wheel light on the dash is on as well.

Thanks in advance.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
either the battery, alternator or steering pump.
first check your battery voltage at idle.

se370z

Aug 1, 2016
Hi there,

I don't think it's the battery because 2 weeks ago I bought a brand new battery.

I will have a look it could be the alternator or steering pump.

either the battery, alternator or steering pump.
first check your battery voltage at idle.

se370z

Aug 1, 2016
Did you had the problem before changing the battery?

I bought the car from a salvage company, it was damaged and it came with a dead battery.

all the airbags were deployed maybe there is a setting that needs to be cleared I don't know.

also the EPS light comes on as soon as I drive.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
is the light always on? you may consider to buy vcds as a diagnostic tool since you also have others problems to solve.

Last edited:

se370z

Aug 1, 2016
is the light always on? you may consider to buy vcds as a diagnostic tool since you also have others problems to solve.

yes, the eps light comes on as soon as i start driving. and the power steering light is always on.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
yes, the eps light comes on as soon as i start driving. and the power steering light is always on.

Is the steering as hard as it is with engine turned off?
Does your car have ESP?

Last edited:

se370z

Aug 1, 2016
Is the steering as hard as it is when engine turned off?
Does your car have ESP?

no, It's slightly softer, it feels like it's working but not good enough. also when you drive it, it becomes very soft.

yes, it has i believe the light is on. it's an 2014 1.2 tsi fr ibiza.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
I believe you might have one of this three problems by this order probability:

- Charging system problem. (alternator or load wire problem http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=209472)
- Steering pump (damaged by the accident)
- Wiring (either the wiring from the battery to the pump, or the wiring between the pump and the sensor if your car doesn't have ESP, if it has the sensor is in the steering wheel so it has no wiring to the sensor)

do you have a multimeter?

can you check your battery voltage while idling? if the voltage is much lower than 14V you have a problem with the alternator or the load wire.
also does you battery light appear with key half turn, and disappears when starting the car? If the light doesnt turn on with key half turn you have the load wire problem.

I'm not familiar with the 2014 Ibiza but I think ESP means you have this button: do you have it? (EPC doesnt mean ESP). This is important because steering works in a different way (different sensor) if you have ESP.

ibizafr2015interiorseatibizafr122014apruebaautoc.jpg

Last edited:

se370z

Aug 1, 2016
Hey buddy i really appreciate your help.

I do have a multimeter, while idling it shows 14.2v

Yes I also do have that button in my car, when i press it another lights comes on, on the left side (a car with a zig zag lines underneath and it has *OFF* underneath the zig zag.

Also on the right side of the sppedometer a car with zig zag lines comes on as soon as i start driving..

when i turn the key half turn - the battery light comes on and disappears when i start the car.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
your car has ESP, so the wiring to the sensor is discarded, since the sensor is in the steering wheel instead of the steering rack.

your charging system seems ok, VCDS would be nice to go any further. at this point we can only guess what's happening without it.

updated my post above.

Last edited:

se370z

Aug 1, 2016
your car has ESP, so the wiring to the sensor is discarded, since the sensor is in the steering wheel instead of the steering rack.

your charging system seems ok, VCDS would be nice to go any further. at this point we can only guess what's happening without it.

updated my post above.

I asked one of my friend to use his Modis Ultra - Snap-on machine. this is what the machines says.

00816 - Power Steering Sensor (G250) Open Circuit/Short With Power

B116829 - Steering Wheel Angle Sensor, Implausible Signal.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
I asked one of my friend to use his Modis Ultra - Snap-on machine. this is what the machines says.

00816 - Power Steering Sensor (G250) Open Circuit/Short With Power

B116829 - Steering Wheel Angle Sensor, Implausible Signal.

Can you check/change the coding of the pump with that?

It should be 11221

Last edited:

se370z

Aug 1, 2016
Can you check/change the coding of the pump with that?

It should be 11221

I think you can, I'm not next to him right now.

It's a Snap-on diagnosing machine, allows you to see and clear codes etc.

What do i need to do exactly? Change the coding of the pump with the machine?

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
I think you can, I'm not next to him right now.

It's a Snap-on diagnosing machine, allows you to see and clear codes etc.

What do i need to do exactly? Change the coding of the pump with the machine?

Yes, change the coding of the pump, but only do it if you are sure what you are doing.
VCDS is safer to do this, you can do more damage than good using other tools.

Your pump is giving two errors on the sensors, usually it gives only one error depending on the sensor it is using, so that's why I suspect the coding.

What the code means is:

1 -> car has airbag
12 -> use the sensor on the steering wheel
21 -> Ibiza FR steering weigth

If the coding is correct, you may need a new steering pump.

Last edited:

se370z

Aug 1, 2016
Yes, change the coding of the pump, but only do it if you are sure what you are doing.
VCDS is safer to do this, you can do more damage than good using other tools.

Your pump is giving two errors on the sensors, usually it gives only one error depending on the sensor it is using, so that's why I suspect the coding.

What the code means is:

1 -> car has airbag
12 -> use the sensor on the steering wheel
21 -> Ibiza FR steering weigth

If the coding is correct, you may need a new steering pump.

Hey buddy, I was next to my friend earlier. We couldn't change the coding but the current code on the system is 10111?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
I think that code is wrong, it should be 11221 and if it's wrong that's the reason for your problem.

I will post some pics after work of what you need to check to confirm for sure.

Last edited:

se370z

Aug 1, 2016
I think that code is wrong, it should be 11221 and if it's wrong that's the reason for your problem.

I will post some pics after work of what you need to check to confirm for sure.

No worries, thanks for getting back to me.

I think it's wrong as well because I saw thread on the forum about adjusting steering weight using VCDS ibiza 6J. Apperently default code is 11221.

The code on my car is totally wrong I believe, only the first and last digit is correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
So, this is a pump, your goal is to check if there is a wire coming from the conector on the right, at red.

s_l1600.jpg

You can do it like this video, it's visible at it's best at 0:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULt_RyiPdhQ&feature=youtu.

It's best done using your cellphone camera with light on, if you don't have good acess to this location, report back and I will try to find another way...

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.