SEAT Leon Strut brace

Nick Cupra R

Mar 18, 2003
Cambridge
Phew... that took me for ever to read this thread! :blink: I wish I would have seen it sooner as I have been wondering about strut braces for a while now.

I'm after improving the handling of my Cupra R where ever possible and am very interested in a strut brace. While driving (trackday driving) will the S3 upper strut brace feel the same as third party strut braces? Or are the other aftermarket ones stronger etc.?

Is it worth upgrading the lower strut brace on the R?

Does anyone have any photos of the part of the S3 strut brace which had to be "trimmed"? Preferably before and after!

Very tempted to get a "bling bling" one, but also tempted with the cheaper S3 alternative! Anything to tighten up the car on the corners at a track! (I have the most urgent thing sorted (brakes) now with the carbon mettalic pads, braided brake hoses and super dot 4 brake fluid so the handling is next!).

Dec 9, 2002
CARDIFF
Visit site
Most third party braces are in bling ali,factory is steel,which is stronger vag part for sure.Lower brace is standard on LCR and also steel so no problemo,you could pay £130 for lower neuspeed brace for more bling but vagpart is only £13 so go figure .Rog any chance of some finished photos mate ,as you have brace and digi camera. :D Should fit my top brace this weekend,while i have it jacked up doing the turbo,samcos,engine mount etc.If Rog calls around on Sunday with his camera we might even do a how to guide. :cheers: Andy

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Well I managed to get my AAT brace bolted up today! Nightmare really trying to get into the turrets, so I boxed clever! I pushed long bolts through from underneath, nylock nuts on, clamped the bolt from the top tight with mole grips and open-end spannered the nuts down until they were really tight. Then I took out my trusty Dremel and lopped the tops off the long bolts and Robert is your Mother's brother - bolted up and looking neat! Then gave it a polish with Autosol and it's 'BLING' factor 10!

Pictures and road test tomorrow. I've ordered the Wiechers Sport rear strut brace as well now, same polished alloy, only £40.

Last edited:

v-g

is an alien.
Mar 10, 2004
Nowhere near, i.e. Norway.
RobDon said:
Well I managed to get my AAT brace bolted up today! Nightmare really trying to get into the turrets, so I boxed clever! I pushed long bolts through from underneath, nylock nuts on, clamped the bolt from the top tight with mole grips and open-end spannered the nuts down until they were really tight. Then I took out my trusty Dremel and lopped the tops off the long bolts and Robert is your Mother's brother - bolted up and looking neat! Then gave it a polish with Autosol and it's 'BLING' factor 10!

Pictures and road test tomorrow. I've ordered the Wiechers Sport rear strut brace as well now, same polished alloy, only £40.
Can't wait to see the pics! :drool:

RobDon

Pro Detailer
As promised, pics of my engine bay:

bay1.jpg

bay3.jpg

Upper brace makes turn in really good - a worthwhile mod! The blue cables are a grounding kit, I've noticed smoother running and better fuel economy since fitting it. I stripped and polished the bonnet strut myself too. ;)

sportbilly

thinking out loud
Oct 8, 2001
in my car
Visit site
RobDon said:
As promised, pics of my engine bay:

Upper brace makes turn in really good - a worthwhile mod! The blue cables are a grounding kit, I've noticed smoother running and better fuel economy since fitting it. I stripped and polished the bonnet strut myself too. ;)

Bling Bling baby ! :thumbup:

Dec 9, 2002
CARDIFF
Visit site
Again stainless steel m10 x30mm allen bolts +nuts and washers. :rolleyes: i should know cause i bought them from a local suppier.Don't ask Rog technical questions he doesn't know one end of a spanner from the other. :bleh: :cheers: Andy

tom.everett

Andy, Funny you should say that... Even the AUDI parts guy was moaning about the number of incorrect parts they get!...

I have checked it.. Looks okay.... :) Looks exactly the same as in pics on here

Hopefully have it fitted tomorrow while at 'work'!? :happy:

How much do you have to remove to get the liffter free from the brace??

Thanks... :thumbup:

CupraR-Rog

Just Cruising...
Jul 19, 2003
West Somerset
Visit site
tom.everett said:
How much do you have to remove to get the liffter free from the brace??
1 spring clip, and the rest comes away easily.

However...

A plank of wood is better than your head at catching the bonnet & holding it up

&

Don't let the spring clip fly off - you do need it again, so you will spend a few hours searching for it!! :bleh:

Of course, I didn't have these problems - I just bribed Andy with pizza!! :D

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise