SEAT Sport UK call time on the BTCC

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
It is a real shame, I had hopes of a decent turn out for 2009, with more 'knowledge' of the TDI's, a final year on JP's contract & the promise of a Tintop drive for the SCC Champion from 2008

I'm sure it's a cash driven exercise, Racing is expensive.... But let's be frank, nobody buys a car because they saw a logo at a Football Ground, or that their local Rugby team drive around in Alhambra's - or even Aeroplane's flying between SEAT pylons.

People buy cars because they see them racing. No marketing campaign can improve on that... especially when they're as dire as the most memorable TV campaigns recently (Transexual Vampire's for Mk1 Leon & Mechophile Mk2 Leon Drivers)

I very much doubt it'll be showing it's head in WRC, that's a do-do at the moment while the rule changes come about. Sports Cars? I don't think I ever saw the GT race, so I can't see that being resurrected.

I'm feeling a little outspoken here, and I do think that if you can't do it properly, don't do it at all - so a scaled back BTCC entry would just be embarrassing I'm sure.

I do wish the N&S guys good luck though. And of course our Motorsport Manager... what's next? (let us know on the side if you want!)

Oh, and keep your eyes peeled for discounted kit after the racing ends... http://shop.seatsportuk.co.uk/

Aug 30, 2004
Stockport
Devastated:(

Terrible sad news I’m finding it hard to digest, it came right out of the blue I’m in shock.

I feel for all the hard working team under Scott, how must they all be feeling. I salute them for the fabulous thrills they have provided us with over the years, and hope they will be back soon.

We have made some good friends through touring cars, all with a common wish to see the success of Seat Sport UK, Seat will be sadly missed in BTCC.

Lets hope the ‘Barmy Army’ survives in some form, waiting for their return, bloody recession.

:cry:

Andywarr

Feb 27, 2008
i think plato was only 1 year into a 3 year deal so must have been a quick decision from above

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
A real shame to hear the news, although sadly not totally unexpected.

Just hope JP and DT don't end up at VXR - don't think I could cope with the conflict of interest...

saintelise

Really devastated by this news - I really got back into watching the BTCC this year having bought my Cupra in February :cry:

It really is a sign of the times for everyone :(

Well hopefully there will be a few Leons next year to cheer on - I've been very impressed by Adam Jones' driving this season.

Glad I'm going to Brands next weekend to give the team a great send off - I reckon they would have cleaned up in 2009 too.

Leonidas

I don't think I ever saw the GT race, so I can't see that being resurrected.

The Cupra GT has raced in a few rounds of the GT open.
Maby they'll run it as a diesel :funk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzOeF-HKDHQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjZOJQ3jW3g&feature=related

imgpop.htm

imgpop.htm

imgpop.htm

nickleon44

Apr 17, 2008
Very disappointing — the strong racing involvement was one of the reasons I switched over to a Leon. I have always tried to support manufacturers involved in motor sport.

Leonidas

Maby there taking a year out to develop the new EXEO so that its competitive straight away in 2010 with a new TSi engine(for the S2010 rule changes)

Leon

Jul 29, 2003
Scotland
Gutted! Shocked when I read the news tonight. Plato's interview on Crash.net says he was only told at 11am meeting today so obviously the withdrawel wasn't something on SEAT's mind, with all the talk of next year after more bad luck at races this year!

I just hope Jason gets another drive as it's him I've been following since 1999.

Poverty

Maby there taking a year out to develop the new EXEO so that its competitive straight away in 2010 with a new TSi engine(for the S2010 rule changes)

perhaps, and if its anything like the old A4 touring car or the new one for that matter it should dominate.

However I think its because of money issues. Ford say they cannot afford to make a fiesta ST in this climate, and BMW are in such a mess that they say they cannot make a M3 CSL. Lexus/toyota arent gonna sell a car they have had in development for like 6 years now or so.

Times are gonna be hard, all the manufacturers are scaling back, and the governments with their emissions targets crap they are imposing on car manufacturers are really not helping the car manufacturers in this difficult period but with the fines they are gonna recieve, the extra money spent on R&D, the rising materials costs, and the fact that consumers are tightning their belts whilst the government still decides to tax us car drivers further.

Times arent good for car manufacturers at all.

CupraMVR

Awesome GTi Technician
Oct 19, 2006
Crewe Cheshire
what a real shame for every one that supported team seat

for every one that followed the sport there was some great high points and a few low points but i was sure that 2009 season would of grown bigger then ever and had Jason and Darren up there as the front runners as they shown in the end of this season,

Looking forward to goin brands now and sending all of team seat sport UK off

hope they back soon.

barmy army will carry on singing come rain or shine with seat flags or without

Leonidas

but last year SEAT made a profit. How come they didnt pull out when they made losses 2 or 3 years in a row:shrug:
It could be all the moaning every1s doing about the diesels and there's going to be restrictions on the Leon TDi next year. So instead off trying to run a car thats not competive they'll develop a new car (EXEO) for a year (like Citroen did).

FSiLeonMike

Barmy Army Reservist (TA)
Apr 26, 2007
Bury St Edmunds/Stowmarket-ish
What the hell am i going to do now

come on ADAMS

My thoughts exactly (as per early post)

Adams will hopefully still be in there, maybe Stockton will drag that Toledo out again next year...........................

..........................and of course, Cartridge World/CVR will launch the new car at Brands (only an FR/Cupra mock up has actually been seen)

........and there are gonna be a handfull of BTCC TDi Leons going spare, maybe one of the bigger independants will snap them up.

2009 should hopefully have a good SEAT showing in the BTCC, so lets not give up, until its time to give up.

The BMW's are "independants" (allegedly), and look at the waves they have made over the last couple of years.

I'll be there in 2009, shouting for whatever SEATs are there, I support the brand not the team name.

There, I 've had my rant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

diss_50

MK4 IBIZA CUPRA
Aug 21, 2007
People buy cars because they see them racing. No marketing campaign can improve on that...

One of the reasons I bought my Cupra - Liked the image that SEAT were 'marketing' in the UK. And also the reason I got into touring cars so much. Its a shame really that they've ditched the BTCC - especially when the sport was making a steady come back. :cry:

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
I've got in to BTCC the last couple of years primarily due to SEAT, and will certainly miss them. Didn't expect this with Jason talking about next year all the time and getting the car ready for it through this season. Rubbish. :(

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
i like to think my glass is half full guys and girls.
some great memories,first visit to rockingham,and our first "biggest ever gathering of SEAT's"
the toledo,loved the look and sound of it and still do.
baking heat at oulton park and then pissing rain.(zboyd in wet blue denim on my silver vrs seats)
camping at thruxton,and the waking up and not actually realising where i was for ten seconds,then remembering the bar the night before and live bands and a rather busty red headed bar maid that poured a beer every time i made her laugh( i was on form that night)
muddyboots anti roll bar delivery service to silverstone( i then promptly lost 200 quids worth of new diesel specs)

i could go on and on and on, i have loved every bloody minute of it( just remembered the tornado at donnington,how fuking amazing was that ?)
And all those beautiful ladies :drool:
it's been great,and i will continue to watch and attend BTCC

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.