Self Servicing

Jan 1, 2007
Retford, Notts
Hello all, car is out of warranty so will be servicing it myself like my other previous cars. Few questions:

There is a sub frams or something? So can't get to the drain plug? I saw a photo somewhere on here of an oil pumper, where can I get one from?

How easy is it to drain and fill the brake fluid?

Any other things I need to know?

Cheers all.

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
I wouldn't want to be doing a brake fluid change if you've never done it before personally, unless someone who knows what they are doing is able to help.
Brakes are quite important ;)

Jan 1, 2007
Retford, Notts
Admit, it had worried me, maybe just take it in unless my old man can help this week. Cheers

Bought a pela pump for the oil. Will get the filters, oil air con cleaner etc from Halfrauds tomorrow. What about that 10k boost stuff, used it on my other cars before.

Anything you would recommend?

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
u can get to the sump plug no probs , just remeber to change the copper washer

fuel filter - just change it hose for hose , keep them eleveated so no diesel escapes , when u go to start the car , dont hit the starter but cycle the ignition a few times to fill the filter with the fuel pump , might struggle or cut out but ul get there ,

remember to change the rubber o ring - is usually in the filter kit

Jan 1, 2007
Retford, Notts
Oh bugger, bought the pump now, never mind it will be cleaner!!

Thanks for the tips. Any decent products you use? I used to use Slick 50, not sure how good they are on the PD's though

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
I use the pela pump which is a fantastic device. Changing the oil is new ten times quicker and cleaner to do. Millers oil has always got good write up so you cannot go wrong there. Extralube ZX1 is ment to be a very good oil additive to stop engine ware on cold starts etc.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
sod that , just use a millers oil flush to thin up the oil b4 use

So you like to destroy the grade and specification of the oil in your engine before you change it for new? That's not gonna be good for a pd engine, given that the oil is probably the most critical part of the engine regarding cam wear.

dribbler

Aug 12, 2007
TDI Service

Must be one of the easiest cars I have ever serviced! Every thing is to hand and easy to get to,use a Pela pump,even easier! Dubious about the brake fluid change though? Ever heard of brake failure due to fluid not being changed?Mehanic I know(Ford Dealer) says they never change the fluid,drain of the top 2 inches,fill with fresh,70 Quid thank you very much!Have heard(can't confirm) Seat/VW have sealed hydraulic systems,no air vent in filler cap,wheres the water going to be absorbed from?I use bottle of Tescos own brand Diesel "Cleaner" £2-97 a bottle every 4 tankfulls(4 weeks the mileage I'm doing)brilliant stuff!:)

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
He means to put with the old oil to thin up before you drain!!

I know what he means. He uses an additive to thin the oil down and remove any sludge deposits (mobilise them into the oil) before draining down. I ask you this, is the flush rated to VW 505.01 specification? If it is then bash on and knock yourself out. If it isn't then why the hell would you want to put crap like that in your very expensive engine?

The oil is what it is so that it protects the innards of the engine, and modifying the spec and viscosity of it isn't going to do you any good at all.

Of course it's up to you.

Last edited:

peter61

I've never used an engine flush on any newish car, only absolute ancient heavers that were full of gunk.

I too was under the impression its one of the worst things you can do to a diesel engine or any engine because you're diluting and stripping away all the necessary lubricants from all the nooks and crannies. Regular oil changes are the best way to keep an engine clean.

When I do an oil change I only ever put in 4 litres, because there is always a nice protective film left in the engine that brings it up to the full mark.

Just my tuppence worth.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Good quality fuel - regular oil changes with a good oil - no overheating = minter engine.

A good 'italian' tune up always helps too, get the engine lovely and hot....find a nice uphill road (one with no cameras) and use a gear that will really get the engine working hard. Once done and parked back up leave on tickover for 1-2 mins then goto bed. :D Sweet!

Oh and use something like Millers Diesel Sport 4 to keep injectors clean and ensure they are spraying a fine mist and all is very very well.

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
Admit, it had worried me, maybe just take it in unless my old man can help this week. Cheers

Bought a pela pump for the oil. Will get the filters, oil air con cleaner etc from Halfrauds tomorrow. What about that 10k boost stuff, used it on my other cars before.

Anything you would recommend?
the first time with the PELA it would be sensible to use it then remove the drain plug to check, there should be no more than an egg cup full if you did it right, also when you have removed the oil filter (after draining the sump) poke the PELA pipe down into the bottom as there is about 1/2 pnt in there, you can then fill and fit new filter and Orings:)

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
See my "How to Change the Oil and Filter on a TDI" guide: http://seat-ibiza-mk4.co.uk/seat_ibiza_tdi_oil_change.htm
Oil changes with the Pela are quicker if the oil is warm - takes ages if the oil is stone cold !
You may struggle to get the oil filter cap off, they are often really tight. You can buy a large hex-socket that fits over it, or you can use a strap wrench (like I did in my guide).

Brake fluid - get a Gunsons Eezilbeed kit.
You fill the bottle with fluid, attach it to you master cylinder, and then pressurise it by connecting to a tyre. Then you just open the bleed nipple on each caliper and the fluid is pushed out under pressure. No need for an assistant, and no risk of air being sucked back past the bleed nipple.
Just REMEMBER TO READ THE INSTRUCTIONS - I think you need to drop the tyre pressure down first before connecting !

Last edited:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Oh, and personally I'd buy the filters from the dealer. I always prefer to use OE, and they're usually decently priced.

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
I'm interested in one of those pela pumps for an interim service - oil change only - on my Honda and Rover. Both cars only do about 2000 miles each year so I think that filter is excessive every year in this instance. No doubt someone will correct me on this.

my query is - with a curly bit of pipe going into the sump - how the hell do you get all the oil out?? :confused:

Never used one of those pumps before, but interested all the same as long as someone can assure me that these do work. i.e. not leaving a litre of scum left all of the time.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Although the pipe flexes to a degree, it's not "floppy" as such. It's a bit like the outer sleeve of a bike brake cable if you know what I mean (coiled steel coated in plastic/rubber). You just push it down the dipstick tube until it hits the bottom of the sump.

Like Nic says, you might end up with an egg-cup full or so of oil left, but in the scheme of 4-5 litres of oil it's nothing (there'll be more than that stuck around the nooks & crannies of the engine anyway).

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.