Setting Actuator?

Beaker™

Slightly Unhinged........
Nov 21, 2005
C:\UK\Glos
Recently changed the actuator in my k03 for another standard actuator. I'm after some info onhow it 'should' be set. So far i set it pretty much how the old one was.

I think i got the gist of how it works, adjusting one will cause a loss in boost to begin with but should hold boost further up the rev range. And adjusting the other way will result in a loss of boost over all.

The car does run fine as is, but is there actually a way of setting it up properly or is it a case of fine tuning to get desired results (trial & error)?

wazo

Oct 13, 2003
lincoln
Visit site
if i remember rightly you need to screw the first nut on 11 full turns put the bar in the lever then srew on the other nut to tighten up

Beaker™

Nov 21, 2005
if i remember rightly you need to screw the first nut on 11 full turns put the bar in the lever then srew on the other nut to tighten up

My only problem with that is the fact that not all threaded rods are the same length and some may have a bigger leading chamfer than others meaning the nut won't start to turn until further down the rod. So counting nut revolutions is not acurate IMO. I'm after a definative way to set it up properly.

Jun 28, 2001
you need to set it with a boost gauge fitted and know what the spec is to operate it.

Jun 28, 2001
yup then adjust it accordingly will take a little while going up and down the road and some heat proof gloves:)

Beaker™

Nov 21, 2005
yup then adjust it accordingly will take a little while going up and down the road and some heat proof gloves:)

Sounds like a plan, cheers. Good heads up the gloves :) Should i give teh ECU time to adapt between each adjustment?

jonesya3

Dec 28, 2005
Liverpool
Sorry for jumping onto your thread but if my actuator has been adjusted by the previous owner could that be the reason my car only peaks at 15psi on a revo stage 2

Beaker™

Nov 21, 2005
Sorry for jumping onto your thread but if my actuator has been adjusted by the previous owner could that be the reason my car only peaks at 15psi on a revo stage 2

Possibly :shrug: But more than likely you have a boost leak somewhere maybe.

jonesya3

Dec 28, 2005
Liverpool
vag-com to log request vs actual to know

Done some logs awhile back and it was requesting 2120 mbar which is about 16.2 psi and the engine is maxing out at 16.6 2150 mbar and thats with timing and boost set to 5 iirc

Its abit strange as the previous owner of my ecu had the same problem

ttothec

Apr 20, 2006
Reading
i had a few probs with my car a while back and it trying to sort it i adjusted the actuator, in the hope of solving the problem, but it didnt help. when i had finally sorted my car, i didnt know where the standard position was. i was told loosen off the bolts either side, then move the slider bit along until u feel the valve bit is closed, then tighten the nut on that side 2-3 more turns past that point, then nip the other one up to hold it secure.

interestingly tho, i did some logs before hand with the actuator in various positions to see if it made any difference but the logs i got were all almost identical, even to the point whrer i thought it was adjusted to the piont where i thought the spring could be coil bound. it boosted to 8psi and held in exactly the same way, no over boost problems or anything.

that was on a standard car, since had it revo'd and not had any probs, so assume its all ok, normally see 18-20psi max

Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Done some logs awhile back and it was requesting 2120 mbar which is about 16.2 psi and the engine is maxing out at 16.6 2150 mbar and thats with timing and boost set to 5 iirc

Its abit strange as the previous owner of my ecu had the same problem

well its achieving its requested then.. but boost 5 is lower than std setting of 6 would be.. got an sps3 and turn it up if you want more.. relog and check its all ok.

jonesya3

Dec 28, 2005
Liverpool
well its achieving its requested then.. but boost 5 is lower than std setting of 6 would be.. got an sps3 and turn it up if you want more.. relog and check its all ok.

Fair enough im going to wait till i have fitted my forge intercooler before trying to up it any further as i was seeing quiet high cf's on boost and timing 6

nick s

256bhp & 282lbs/ft
Dec 9, 2005
guys, i am swapping my forge actuatir back to a standard one as the forge one runs too much boost. will it be a similar case to beakers, whereby trial and error until it is peaking at 22psi on my K03S?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise