Shell Optimax fuel

jms_cupra

Sep 5, 2009
Wiltshire
Is anybody running their cupra on shell optimax or BP ultimate?

If so have you noticed increased performance and/or economy?

Is it worth the extra few pence?

Jordan20vt

Mk3 20VT
Jan 14, 2006
Rugby
I wouldn't really bother with higher octane fuels if i couldn't adjust timing to take advantage of it, but seeing as i can i use tesco 99. Can't remember last time i used normal fuel:shrug:

jms_cupra

Sep 5, 2009
Wiltshire
I was only wondering as i just watched an old fifth gear and there was a section on it.

Golf gti made 5bhp more on the shell. What is tesco 99 then?

Sam221

Aug 9, 2009
I was only wondering as i just watched an old fifth gear and there was a section on it.

Golf gti made 5bhp more on the shell. What is tesco 99 then?

me too, the scooby made something like 13BHP on ultimate over normaul unleaded

jms_cupra

Sep 5, 2009
Wiltshire
The scooby did really well on them.

Think the higher performing cars will notice more power etc

So obviously leons will thrive :)

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
I saw an old re run of Fifth gear where they tested performance fuels. On a sporty hatch you really wont notice a lot no matter what(test car mk5 gti) but shell did come out far better than BP on an Impreza. If the cars mapped for 99 ron it will make better figures but as above i doubt you will feel the increase. I do so few miles so I stick to tescos 99ron as my cars mapped for it and in the hope it will give a cleaner burn and look after the engine than 95ron.
Edit just seen you saw the re run of fifth gear aswel :)

dg-1984

May 28, 2008
Glasgow'ish
It will take up to 3 full tanks before the ecu adjusts to make the most out the fuel but I changed to run my LCR on shell optimax and it runs a little better and gets more miles per tank :)

jms_cupra

Sep 5, 2009
Wiltshire
Got to get the brakes done on my car before i can drive it but i think a fill up of optimax is in order :)

Are those s3 alloys Dione J?

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Had my head off at 80k. Engine very clean and very little bore wear. its always run on opti/v power and i think it has alot to do with it.

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
Always use V-power noticed a difference after a few tanks in my LCR it just works better on the higher octane fuels i think. now i always use it. its really good stuff would never use normal 95 ron in my car again.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members