Should I buy an 8v GTi or 16v Cupra??

Scruffy

Hey guys, I am thinking about buying a Seat Ibiza MkII but I need to try to decide between a 1996 Gti 8V and a 1998 Cupra Sport 16V. Both in good condition with reasonable km's, it's just that the Cupra is further away from me.

Which way should I go and why??

Thanks. :)

abhardwaj1990

Yes, I'm licking my hand
Mar 16, 2009
Shottingham
I think there's quite a few threads on here comparing both the 8v and 16v.

Basically the 8v is cheaper to run and insure fun to drive etc, but not as fun as the 16v because its more powerful and faster lol.....
But I cant say much I'm only a 1.4 owner :p

Give it a search or ask the older more wiser people of the SCN :)....

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
distance to collect shouldn't be a factor in reality for the right car you will be driving it i guess once you but it ?

you'll hear and read about endless threads on bhp/torque and speed etc but in a straight line there isn't much at all in it until you hit 3rd/4th

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwh8dP-gD50

16v Gti had more of the toys AC/Leather etc but Cupra Sport were usually lower spec so check em properly/pics etc and look at a few before you dive in as they are getting thin for real good 'uns

Scruffy

Thanks for the help guys. I do really like the look of the Cupra, it is a white one with red/grey interior. The real problem that I have is that there are only 4 GTI's and one Cupra for sale here in OZ at the moment so that thins it out quite a bit(only 54 Cupra's sold here apparently):cry:

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
I'd have the white 16v personally as they're rare and beautiful. I've only ever seen a couple here.

But if they are thin on the ground go for the one that you can get parts etc easiest for longevity, or being Oz which ever has air con!

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
gear shift on the 16v is crap,expect to buy new cables as they go slack,so if spares in OZ are rare,think on that,both fun to drive and the 16v likes to be revved,but having followed and 8v in my 16v a few years back down some UK twisty roads, i really had to work the box to keep up.
white 16v on black rims would look kinda nice :D

Scruffy

Thanks for the replies guys. I took a GTI for a drive today and apart from the clutch pedal being a bit sticky it was great to drive. Overall though the body was pretty rough :( but it is selling cheap. Just wwaiting to hear back about the white Cupra as i think that one is the best option at the moment.

spowis

i have driven both a 16v and i own a 8v and i must say that the 8v is my favourite alot better in 1st and second gear and with the right mods can become a very quick car

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Thanks for the replies guys. I took a GTI for a drive today and apart from the clutch pedal being a bit sticky it was great to drive. Overall though the body was pretty rough :( but it is selling cheap. Just wwaiting to hear back about the white Cupra as i think that one is the best option at the moment.

It's a no brainer between a pre face lift 8v & a facelift 16v

16v everytime. Better specced (AC) and a lovely revvy engine.

8v's are OK, but pre facelifts are way too old now