Single clunk when braking/accelerating from a stop!

Aug 27, 2019
Hi,

I've been having this weird clunk noise coming from the front end of the car. My car is a 2005 1.9TDI Seat Leon (1M)

When i start braking there is a single clunk coming from the front end of the car. Mainly happens when coming to a stop. When i pull away again there is another clunk as if something shifts back into place.

This can be avoided by gently coming to a stop and then pulling away normally again. It seems to be that when i start braking (somewhat harder) something shifts forward causing the clunk and as i pull away again it clunks back into place! It's been really annoying. It seems to be coming from around the engine/driveshaft area.

The car drives perfect. I have just done a substantial amount of work to the car which limits the amount of problems it could be!

List of recent work done:

New coilovers (all-round)
New Top-Mounts
New Wishbones
New ARB Bushes
New Droplinks
New Tie-Rod Ends
New Wheel Bearings (front)
New Discs & Pads (all-round)

Everything is perfectly tight around the suspension area.

Few things i haven't replaced is the driveshafts and engine mounts. I'm thinking it could possibly be one of them but not to sure. I have asked a mechanic to look at the engine movement but he wasn't concerned. I hope someone here can explain what's going on! Feel free to ask for more info.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Brake callipers sticking? My brake callipers clunk all the time when applying the brakes. Not so much when I release them, but the rears did when they began to stick.

Aug 27, 2019
Brake callipers sticking? My brake callipers clunk all the time when applying the brakes. Not so much when I release them, but the rears did when they began to stick.
Maybe, but their is no clunk when releasing them and doesn't seem to happen when gently coming to a stop. I can switch from forward to reverse and their is no clunk. It only happens when the car is in forward motion, maybe something to do with the weight shifting. Also the noise doesn't come from the wheel area it's a lot more apparent towards the engine bay

gurpz94

Feb 12, 2019
Most likely something with the brakes. With my Audi S4 the pads in the calipers were moving slightly, so when I braked they would go forward, but if I braked again nothing would happen as they're already forward. As soon as I accelerate, they went back, accelerate again and nothing. Sounds like what you're describing.

Have you checked your engine and gearbox mounts if it sounds like it's coming from the engine bay?

Reactions: GuusC and Legojon
Aug 27, 2019
Most likely something with the brakes. With my Audi S4 the pads in the calipers were moving slightly, so when I braked they would go forward, but if I braked again nothing would happen as they're already forward. As soon as I accelerate, they went back, accelerate again and nothing. Sounds like what you're describing.

Have you checked your engine and gearbox mounts if it sounds like it's coming from the engine bay?

Surprisingly the noise has gone away somehow, if it starts happening again i will check the engine mounts and brakes. Thanks for the reply!