Software upgrade

Dec 31, 2022
Hi all,

I recently bought a Seat Leon FR 2021. I have been having two main issues. One being the outdated software for the infotainment system. My current version is 1664 and map 19.7. At first I had issue of it being stuck on "Loading settings" or Android Auto not working or recognising USB. My understanding is that the latest version is 1896 and dealers can upgrade the software. I have contacted a dealer to ask for a software upgrade but they said they don't perform software upgrades unless it it needed to resolve a fault which will incur a £144 charge (to find/investigate the fault)

The dealer has also mentioned that my car has two recalls for which service will be free but may or may not include a software upgrade for the infotainment system

Should software upgrades be free? And how do I get dealers to do them?

KoNG

Jul 27, 2016
Canning Town
The recall will include software update I'm sure this was mandatory update from SEAT and they could verify this for you. The car should have 3 years of warranty from factory? Don't understand why they asking for money?

Dec 31, 2022
The recall will include software update I'm sure this was mandatory update from SEAT and they could verify this for you. The car should have 3 years of warranty from factory? Don't understand why they asking for money?
I've asked for a call back on Tuesday for further clarification.

Is my understanding correct that they can install a newer software version e.g. 1896?

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Mine went in for a recall recently and came back with 1898, I did book it in with complaints about the climate control and lane assist systems though.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Mine went in for a recall recently and came back with 1898, I did book it in with complaints about the climate control and lane assist systems though.
From what I’ve read on VW Golf forums (also confirmed by a ‘friendly’ VW salesperson at my local dealership), the dealer won’t automatically update a car’s software with the latest version - some software updates can take many hours to complete, and also require the physical intervention of a service tech on a number of occasions during the update process. During that time, the car is taking up valuable workshop space that could be used for servicing and repair work. Therefore, there needs to be issues with the car that the latest version of the software has been designed to fix, and the owner needs to raise those issues with the dealership service department when booking the car in before the dealer will update the software to the latest version.

As for OTA updates and some vehicles getting OTA updates before others - I read on a forum (sorry, can’t remember which) that a vehicle’s VIN determines the order that OTA updates are applied - i.e. cars with early VIN’s get a specific OTA update before cars with a later VIN.

mdr1840

Mar 1, 2022
My car had 2 recalls recently, one was for the airbag wiring and the other was for the software update. Both of these were free as both were Manufacturer recalls.

KoNG

Jul 27, 2016
Canning Town
So far I haven't seen any car OTA updated for 1896 as the earliest build included my First edition. I was looking for an option on how to force check updates but haven't found anything since the 1896 software. Store updates are more likely useless as they don't improve anything with infotainment unit,

Davehaslanded

Jan 25, 2017
England
I had my software updated this week. Was done by dealer for free under warranty. The older software was glitchy, so I explained it to dealer as a Quality control issue. They had the car for a few hours, and its all done. The UI is actually more refined now. I have the eHybrid. Before updates, the battery adjustments were spread across 3 separate menus. Now they've all been consolidated into a single menu, plus been given better options on the main menu quick menu screen. eg, I can now change regen amount from top menu.
C9E6B836-488B-48E8-B2D4-25617AB2CAFD.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Aadipan17

Davehaslanded

Jan 25, 2017
England
I’ve attached my invoice with my personal details blocked out. Show them that others are getting the work done as under warranty. It will give you some ammo.

Leonfr140

Aug 18, 2013
East Sussex
Just noticed on mine I've seem to have lost the alexa app, not that I use it that often, but went to the car to use it, to find its gone. SW1890

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

EVangelist

Feb 14, 2023
Hi @BoomerBoom, what engine do you have in your mk4? I'm curious as to what the latest software should/could be for the 1.4TSI e-Hybrid.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Mine is a 1.5 ACT, I don't believe the infotainment version is different between the engines, but have a read of this thread:

Reactions: EVangelist
Dec 31, 2022
Thank you to everyone.

Today I've given in my car into the dealer I purchased my car from after they contacted me about a missed campaign. Service free of charge + loan car free of charge as they agreed it will be in the workshop for a few days while they replace the SOS module.

Interestingly, the popping sounds from the speakers, they told me happens whenever the car drives past a 5G mast which in turn causes the SOS error.

KoNG

Jul 27, 2016
Canning Town
After confirming huge update which was downloading for two days i thought i will have finally some further updates from 1896 to 1900? but unfortunately after clicking the successful update nothing has changed version still sitting at 1896🤔 possibly just the online store has major update

Attachments

• PXL_20230504_162227673.jpg
    PXL_20230504_162227673.jpg
    591.8 KB · Views: 371

Shaun123

Sep 5, 2020
After confirming huge update which was downloading for two days i thought i will have finally some further updates from 1896 to 1900? but unfortunately after clicking the successful update nothing has changed version still sitting at 1896🤔 possibly just the online store has major update
Might fix the rebooting issue! Argh who am I kidding 😂😂

Shaun123

Sep 5, 2020
Haha seems to me introduced the reboot issue 😂
I’ve not had any updates since end of January so had this rebooting issue since then. Nice to see vw sorting out the issues for their customers!! 🤦🏻‍♂️