Software upgrade

Davehaslanded

Jan 25, 2017
England
Had my car updated today. Too early to know how stable it is. But they put it on a newer version than I’ve others post on here V1940.
Oddly, the main difference is in CarPlay. The UI scaling has changed. Items are all far smaller. It’s necessarily bad. More information viewable at once. But an odd change none the less.

IMG_0680.png

Attachments

• IMG_0678.png
    IMG_0678.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 482
  • IMG_0675.png
    IMG_0675.png
    138.9 KB · Views: 462
Reactions: Shaun123

SamuelDonuts

Jan 6, 2017
Midlands
Had my car updated today. Too early to know how stable it is. But they put it on a newer version than I’ve others post on here V1940.
Oddly, the main difference is in CarPlay. The UI scaling has changed. Items are all far smaller. It’s necessarily bad. More information viewable at once. But an odd change none the

I was also pleasantly surprised by this. It’s made situational awareness a lot better when using google maps.

Nice to see I’m not the only one catching WAN show on the move!

Reactions: C_ED_99

Shaun123

Sep 5, 2020
Oddly, the main difference is in CarPlay. The UI scaling has changed. Items are all far smaller. It’s necessarily bad. More information viewable at once. But an odd change none the less.

View attachment 37152
I’ve been on 1940 for about 5 weeks as updated it myself as was fed up of the reboots all the time. It’s been fine ever since.

Reactions: Davehaslanded

Davehaslanded

Jan 25, 2017
England
I was also pleasantly surprised by this. It’s made situational awareness a lot better when using google maps.

Nice to see I’m not the only one catching WAN show on the move!
yeah I can see maps being a lot better. & the Split View on the main screen is far more useable.

watched the WAN show for years. But with it now reaching 3+ hours an episode, I don’t get time to watch it live or on YouTube. 3x speed on Overcast is the only way. Lol

istoyanov

Apr 6, 2023
Bulgaria
Was 1940 OTA updated or dealer ?
Can you watch video on the media ? Downloaded video file played how? Or even youtube?

Davehaslanded

Jan 25, 2017
England
Can you watch video on the media ? Downloaded video file played how? Or even youtube?
It was done by dealer. You will never get video playback on screen. The whole point of CarPlay when Apple announced it was that it was a less distracting UI. It’s also a liability nightmare for companies. That’s why so many dvd head units disappeared from sale. They were supposed to be wired to the handbrake, so they didn’t play video while moving, but it was easy to remove the cable that detected handbrake.

Reactions: SRGTD and istoyanov

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
It was done by dealer. You will never get video playback on screen. The whole point of CarPlay when Apple announced it was that it was a less distracting UI. It’s also a liability nightmare for companies. That’s why so many dvd head units disappeared from sale. They were supposed to be wired to the handbrake, so they didn’t play video while moving, but it was easy to remove the cable that detected handbrake.

The legal position may vary from one country to another, but in the UK video in motion is illegal if the screen that the video is being shown on is visible to the driver while they’re driving. There are probably also insurance implications of a driver having and watching video in motion in a car - it would probably invalidate the insurance.

istoyanov

Apr 6, 2023
Bulgaria
Thanks. Of course the idea is not the driver watch any video while driving BUT maybe it is still better this not to be possible instead of any risk. We are people and do a lot of mistakes.

chris_louk

May 13, 2022

View attachment 37152
This looks so much better than before!
Are there changes to the first screen (the one with the map and the music controls) as well or is everything just bigger? Would you mind sharing a screenshot of that?

Reactions: Davehaslanded

rzlosty

Apr 19, 2016
Hi all,

I am considering purchasing a Leon and have been following this thread closely over the last few days and am pleased to see the latest software update (1940) seems to have resolved the rebooting issues for a number of the members here. I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping someone may be able to jump in and advise on, please! :)

I am looking to purchase a Leon that may be outside of the three-year warranty window - I see that third parties such as East Yorkshire Retrofits offer the upgrade as a service I could do myself, am I correct in thinking this would be my only option if I am outside of the warranty window? i.e. a SEAT dealership would not do this for free even though this is a significant issue resulting from their defective software. I assume I could pay a dealership to do it, but this would be significantly higher than doing it myself. I am happy to do it myself, I just wanted to check first!

If I have a vehicle that hasn't been updated for a long time (e.g. is still running a 16xx version) can this be fully upgraded to the 1940 version? I understand I may need to perform multiple updates one after the other - but is it possible?

If my vehicle has the SOS issue, will this also be resolved by updating the software, or is this a physical part that is defective and will require replacing? If so, is it covered by SEAT even outside of the 3-year warranty window (I am unclear if it is a recall or not from reading these posts, I would assume if it is a recall the warranty period doesn't matter, but if it's considered a "nice to have" this could be a dealbreaker as I imagine it will cost a lot if I have to pay myself).

Any help is appreciated :) Thank you in advance!

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
From what I’ve seen, you’ll need a dealer to update anything on 16xx. You’d have to get updated to something like 1790, then up to the latest from there. SOS error is a combination of telematics module firmware and software updates. I’d use these points as a bargaining tool to get the vehicle up to date before purchase (you could always be cheeky and get a rough estimate from a main dealer for the work too and get a discount equivalent to that)

Reactions: rzlosty

rzlosty

Apr 19, 2016
Thank you. That's useful to know as if it's not from a SEAT dealer (the one I've got my eye on is at a Ford dealership) then I am pretty much out of luck as they won't be able to upgrade it. Good point about the discount, though with the current car market, I doubt they'll be interested as another unsuspecting customer will no doubt come along and buy it at the window sticker price without hesitation.

It's a real shame because the Leon is just what I'm looking for, but I don't want to be left with a lemon that is going to cost hundreds to fix something that should have worked in the first place! Poor show from SEAT. :(

Jan 18, 2023
Hi all,

I am considering purchasing a Leon and have been following this thread closely over the last few days and am pleased to see the latest software update (1940) seems to have resolved the rebooting issues for a number of the members here. I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping someone may be able to jump in and advise on, please! :)

I am looking to purchase a Leon that may be outside of the three-year warranty window - I see that third parties such as East Yorkshire Retrofits offer the upgrade as a service I could do myself, am I correct in thinking this would be my only option if I am outside of the warranty window? i.e. a SEAT dealership would not do this for free even though this is a significant issue resulting from their defective software. I assume I could pay a dealership to do it, but this would be significantly higher than doing it myself. I am happy to do it myself, I just wanted to check first!

If I have a vehicle that hasn't been updated for a long time (e.g. is still running a 16xx version) can this be fully upgraded to the 1940 version? I understand I may need to perform multiple updates one after the other - but is it possible?

If my vehicle has the SOS issue, will this also be resolved by updating the software, or is this a physical part that is defective and will require replacing? If so, is it covered by SEAT even outside of the 3-year warranty window (I am unclear if it is a recall or not from reading these posts, I would assume if it is a recall the warranty period doesn't matter, but if it's considered a "nice to have" this could be a dealbreaker as I imagine it will cost a lot if I have to pay myself).

Any help is appreciated :) Thank you in advance!
I bought a July 2020 model in January, so a similar age to the one you'll be looking at. If the car isn't already on 1896 or later I would avoid it like the plague.

Mine was on 1672 when I bought it. The process to update the software to 1896 and 1st attempt to rectify the SOS error meant 4 weeks stuck in the garage, while they replaced various modules (SOS, control unit, airbag off the top of my head) which had been broken by the software updates. This still didn't fix the SOS error, so I've just had it in again for another SOS module replacement and update to 1940, the dealer mentioned that the module alone was about £600, luckily I've still got another month of warranty left.

I am a fan of the car now these issues seem to be sorted, but it would have been an expensive nightmare if it hadn't been under warranty. I'm also still unsure if the SOS issue is actually sorted, I've only had it back a few days and have heard the telltale pops, but not had the actual error message. So it may still need to be back to the dealer for a 3rd time.

Reactions: rzlosty

rzlosty

Apr 19, 2016
I bought a July 2020 model in January, so a similar age to the one you'll be looking at. If the car isn't already on 1896 or later I would avoid it like the plague.

Mine was on 1672 when I bought it. The process to update the software to 1896 and 1st attempt to rectify the SOS error meant 4 weeks stuck in the garage, while they replaced various modules (SOS, control unit, airbag off the top of my head) which had been broken by the software updates. This still didn't fix the SOS error, so I've just had it in again for another SOS module replacement and update to 1940, the dealer mentioned that the module alone was about £600, luckily I've still got another month of warranty left.

I am a fan of the car now these issues seem to be sorted, but it would have been an expensive nightmare if it hadn't been under warranty. I'm also still unsure if the SOS issue is actually sorted, I've only had it back a few days and have heard the telltale pops, but not had the actual error message. So it may still need to be back to the dealer for a 3rd time.
Thank you, that's really helpful to know! Hope you get yours sorted if the SOS issue returns!

Davehaslanded

Jan 25, 2017
England
This looks so much better than before!
Are there changes to the first screen (the one with the map and the music controls) as well or is everything just bigger? Would you mind sharing a screenshot of that?
The first screen/split screen looks a lot better. I’ve had 3 widgets at a time on the left; next direction, Spotify & calender. On the right half, you have your maps view, but it’s much more detailed. After a few days, I’ve come to really enjoy the new look. It was great using maps on a longer trip the other day.

istoyanov

Apr 6, 2023
Bulgaria
No idea if it is related but have you ever experienced unresponsive roof panel ? I was not able do anything - lights, roof, info, service ...

Raf

Oct 3, 2023
Hello Guys,
I just got a preowned seat leon. Iam trying to update the firmware up from 1672 to 1940. I bought the update from Eastyorkshireretrofits. but when I try to do the update after logging into the system and choosing system update, I fail to select the USB option (it is not active). I using a type C flash drive ( no adapters)
any idea what is happening?

I have received two update files I believe one is (5FA919360AN MOI3_EU_SE_R9400L MU1940) and the other (SE1899_5FA919360AH), I believe
those two updates are 1899 and 1940, I will need to install the updates in version order, correct?

Thank you in advance,
Rafe

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
I don’t think you can go from 16xx or even early 17xx to 18xx. Pretty sure you’ll need to upgrade to 1790 then up to the newer versions.

Reactions: Raf

Shaun123

Sep 5, 2020
Hello Guys,
I just got a preowned seat leon. Iam trying to update the firmware up from 1672 to 1940. I bought the update from Eastyorkshireretrofits. but when I try to do the update after logging into the system and choosing system update, I fail to select the USB option (it is not active). I using a type C flash drive ( no adapters)
any idea what is happening?

I have received two update files I believe one is (5FA919360AN MOI3_EU_SE_R9400L MU1940) and the other (SE1899_5FA919360AH), I believe
those two updates are 1899 and 1940, I will need to install the updates in version order, correct?

Thank you in advance,
Rafe
You will need to go the dealer to get updated as you need other modules updating that only the dealer can do. Can only update to 1940 from 18** I believe.

Reactions: Raf
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members