cupralooks

More Power Needed
Jul 3, 2006
Hi All,

The bottom bearings have gome on my V5 so I am goijg to strip the cr of all its parts and then srap the shell.

I had a look around the car today and I need to get some star like tools to get the doors of the car. Does anyone know the size that is needed?

Are there any other special tools that are needed or is most of the car able to be taken apart with a standard ratchet set?

What bolts are holding the seats in? Allen key, normal bolts or the start shaped ones?

Cheers

Alex

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
The bolts you're talking about are called Torx bolts, and a good set will be invaluable to you if you're breaking your car. Many different parts will be held on with differing sizes so you'll probably need a set of them. As you suggest, Allen, Normal, and Torx are about all you'll need other than screwdrivers and a big hammer. It depends really on how far you intend going as to what specific tools you'll need.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Machine Mart do a nice set of Torx bits suitable for a standard ratchet, they'll suit you quite nicely.

Will you be selling the parts or have you got other plans for them? V5 parts are difficult to track down, I'm sure a couple links to Ebay auctions would work well for you...

cupralooks

More Power Needed
Jul 3, 2006
Do you think a set of torx bolts from Halfords would be upto the job as I am sure there will be a few very tight bolts on there and I dont want any of the bits to shear off.

I really am looking at all the body panels, lights, dashboard, steering wheel, all the interior and the brakes. Most things, but I dont think I will be doing anything with the engine, or running gear on it as I dont think I have the time or the tools to do it.

Cheers

Alex

cupralooks

More Power Needed
Jul 3, 2006
I will be selling them all. Its a really high spec one with cruise, electric folding mirrors, armrest, Boot spoiler, rear window blind. Loads of stuff on it that Id rather get of it before it gets scrapped.

I was thinking about getting the head off the engine before it goes, and the suspension etc, but I gont have the tools for it so what do people think to offering the parts at ahlf the price they are worth and people having to take them off themselves?

Cheers

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Would this do?

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-trx-star-socket-and-security-bit-set-29

Do the bits in this set go high enough for the bolts on the doors as the bolts on the doors are quite big

Cheers

I've just had a quick look as I wasn't sure about the bolts you meant. Lets see if I can get my observations right. I have a 10mm allen hex bit, that I've just tried against the bolts and is too big. I would estimate that you need the equivalent of a 9mm or 8mm bit. I have one star bit in my toolkit, a T40 which is the same size as a 6mm bit. As the T numbers go up in 5's, I think you need to be looking for a T50 or T55 bit. So I think that set might just about do the trick.

As an alternative to save you spending too much money, what I might suggest is go to Halfords and ask if you can buy a single torx bit, with the thought that if it doesn't fit you can take it back and try the next size along? I've done it before with peculiar sized bits (Vectra brake calipers, evil things!) and they were happy as long as I didn't actually use it, I just tried it for size.

Alternatively, because you're actually chopping the car, I'd be tempted to grind the heads off!! People coming for parts won't necessarily want/need the fixings aswell, so as long as you don't damage the door, you should be fine. Once the door is off, the rest of the bolt should come out no problem.

cupralooks

More Power Needed
Jul 3, 2006
I've just had a quick look as I wasn't sure about the bolts you meant. Lets see if I can get my observations right. I have a 10mm allen hex bit, that I've just tried against the bolts and is too big. I would estimate that you need the equivalent of a 9mm or 8mm bit. I have one star bit in my toolkit, a T40 which is the same size as a 6mm bit. As the T numbers go up in 5's, I think you need to be looking for a T50 or T55 bit. So I think that set might just about do the trick.

As an alternative to save you spending too much money, what I might suggest is go to Halfords and ask if you can buy a single torx bit, with the thought that if it doesn't fit you can take it back and try the next size along? I've done it before with peculiar sized bits (Vectra brake calipers, evil things!) and they were happy as long as I didn't actually use it, I just tried it for size.

Alternatively, because you're actually chopping the car, I'd be tempted to grind the heads off!! People coming for parts won't necessarily want/need the fixings aswell, so as long as you don't damage the door, you should be fine. Once the door is off, the rest of the bolt should come out no problem.

Sounds a good idea to egt the big parts off by just cutting the bolt heads off but Il get stuck when I need to take out a smaller bolt such as the ones for the seats for example.

As you say I dont want to spend loads of money to break the car up.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Sounds a good idea to egt the big parts off by just cutting the bolt heads off but Il get stuck when I need to take out a smaller bolt such as the ones for the seats for example.

As you say I dont want to spend loads of money to break the car up.

In that case, go for the set, it will come in useful for most other parts on this car and probably your next! You can never have too many tools after all!

My preference would always be for Machine Mart as the source for tools though. I had an allen socket break on me when I was stripping down my bike engine, they replaced it without any fuss. You wouldn't get that sort of service if you bought it from halfords.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.