Spring time fuel competition

FabiaTDi

VT5 :D
Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
I don't drive like a maniac, but then I'm not slow either. "progressive" with the throttle would be a good word, as my boost can be a bit erratic so I often feed in power. But when in traffic, there's nowt you can do but just pottle along at sub 1500rpm, and my car seems ultra economical - guess it's not using the turbo and not needing much diesel. Don't forget the LPG helps.

Car is on about 95,000 now - engine has just gone past 43,000

Dont know how you are getting such good economy with the VT5 Jason, as my commuting average has dropped about 5mpg since fitting and now hovering at around 43mpg!
48mpg on long journeys.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Given that this "competition" would apply to people with different size tanks, you need to compete for the "highest average mpg over a whole tank".

Procedure would be:

1) Fill up and reset trip counter
2) Drive until you're almost empty
3) Refill, note down number of litres used, and mileage covered

Then calculate average MPG:
1) Divide number of litres used by 4.55 to get number of gallons used, work to at least one decimal place
2) Divide mileage by number of gallons, again working to at least one decimal place

Ignore the MPG readings from the trip computer as they are always optimistic to some degree.

Ibiza Mk4 owners - the record so far is around 700 miles to one tank, which is somthing like a 64mpg average over that distance.
I managed over 670 miles from my remapped 130 Mk4, then someone beat me. I can tell you now, you WILL struggle to beat this over that sort of distance :)

Last edited:

woodyTDI

Jan 29, 2007
Essex
i have done 450 miles so far and still have a quater of a tank left, how manny more can you normally get out of a quater of a tank?:funk:

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
Dont know how you are getting such good economy with the VT5 Jason, as my commuting average has dropped about 5mpg since fitting and now hovering at around 43mpg!
48mpg on long journeys.

Mine would be the same if I wasn't chucking in the LPG. The lpg makes the car trim back the diesel, so it gets more miles to the tank. I have to chuck in around £12/£13 of LPG in every 1200 odd miles, so the mpg odds are re-balanced by that. I cannot be bothered to calculate the combined mpg/diesel economy. In fact I can't be bothered to work out the economy at all - as long as it's above 40mpg I don't care with the power I have at my disposal.

When you getting mapped again then, Matt? ;) Not long for me now. :D

spyke85

I Like Cheese!
Oct 26, 2003
Bolton
Visit site
Will give this a go. Will vent it tonight and then I am going to South Wales tomorrow from Bolton. Best I have seen so far though is 580miles with 5 left in the tank according to the computer.

i have done 450 miles so far and still have a quater of a tank left, how many more can you normally get out of a quater of a tank?:funk:
My fuel gauge, like most I guess, hardly moves then when it passes the half-tank mark accelerates, before rapidly plummeting to a painful death at the quarter mark. :(

My best ever was 610 miles, but currently still running on a tankful of French dirty, sulphurous but-oh-so-good diesel from a station in Dunkerque. :D

I don't like to push beyond 40 miles after the bleep and warning light; reckon on about 100 - 125 after the quarter mark until the bleep? :shrug:

In a similar thread some years back, I carefully tested the trip against manually brimming and calculating and found my trip was actually very accurate, within 1 or 2 mpg at most. So I've come to trust it - to a certain degree...:think:

sssstew

Editing your spelling
mine doesnt really change too much with the weather. On my last tank i ran it down to 0 miles left after 600 miles of driving normally and booting it to keep it clean each day, filled up with 54.40 litres (vented my 45l tank) and ended up with about 51-52mpg havent put it into my speadsheet yet so not 100% sure.

But its totally dependant on the type of driving you do, if i did a run to devon and back i have got 58 on the trip down alone before, thats doing 80mph too, so could get over 700 to the tank if i drove the right road/ conditions but as i only use my car to and from work (14 miles each way) it doesnt get the best mpg it can do at the moment.

Jamesemt

Oct 10, 2004
Hull
Anyone on this thread with a Cupra TDI?

Our Fabia vRS can show 60mpg on the computer (bit optimistic), yet the best my Cupra has ever managed is 48mpg on the computer. Obviously both with me driving/similar conditions.

Cupra has 8k miles on it, could that be the reason? (vRS only has 22k...).

For similar amounts of fuel (I know they are slightly different size tanks) the Fabia can do 150 miles extra per tank...

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise