Standard alloy wheel weight?

worzel

LCR 225
Dec 20, 2009
Jersey
Hi, does anyone know the weight of standard LCR alloy wheels?

I own a nice example of a black LCR (2005) and have seen some nice 19" rims, but they seem cheap, so can only assume this is because they are really heavy, so want to compare.

worzel

LCR 225
Dec 20, 2009
Jersey
Great thanks, that is light. I can't show you a link as a newebie but given they are £380k for 4 19x8 rims, they are gonna weigh a ton. They look nice though.

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
A light 18" wheel and tyre is about 21-22kg

A heavy 18" wheel and tyre is about 26-27kg

If you can save 20kg just in wheel weight thats a lot of unsprung weight and will make quite a difference.

worzel

LCR 225
Dec 20, 2009
Jersey
A freind bought new BBS style rims for a porsche boxter, and went lite...cost him an extra grand. When they come back with the weights i'll let you know for comparison, but the methodology says they will be heavy.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Hi, does anyone know the weight of standard LCR alloy wheels?

I own a nice example of a black LCR (2005) and have seen some nice 19" rims, but they seem cheap, so can only assume this is because they are really heavy, so want to compare.

Look in your boot under the carpet. Your spare will be a normal LCR alloy (at least mine is, I think they have to be to clear the Brembos if necessary), take that out and weigh it.

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Look in your boot under the carpet. Your spare will be a normal LCR alloy (at least mine is, I think they have to be to clear the Brembos if necessary), take that out and weigh it.

They weigh 10.5kg and about another 10-11kg for a tyre.

worzel

LCR 225
Dec 20, 2009
Jersey
Seems as a distributor, they don't know the weight:think:, odd as they will have to ship them to me in the Channel Islands. Anyway, I've bought them. They are 19" 7 spoke (split) Audi RS4 replicas in black with polished face, and i've ordered Falkens 225/35/19 for the front & 235 for the back. The offsett is 35 (result), but was considering spacers on the back as the car is lowered and worried the suspension might rub?

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
Prepare for your LCR to feel slower, I have a set of geniune BBS ch 19" that I only use for shows, I had it on the rollers one day Just to see the difference and they cost me about 25bhp, i was stunned, but they do look nice.

worzel

LCR 225
Dec 20, 2009
Jersey
Prepare for your LCR to feel slower, I have a set of geniune BBS ch 19" that I only use for shows, I had it on the rollers one day Just to see the difference and they cost me about 25bhp, i was stunned, but they do look nice.

I was expecting some impact on the performance but not to the extent of c25bhp. I was hoping by putting lower profile tyres(35 opposed to 40) on 19" rims with the same standard width (225) on the fronts would mean the only significant change would be the weight of the wheels/tyres.

What tyres do ayou have on the bbs rims?

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
I have 225/35/19 on the front(falken 452) and 235/35/19(BF goodrich profilers) on the back, my alloys are 8.5j so i have a small stretch on the front to get in under the arch.
The weight is a big factor but also the circumference of the wheel, its easier to turn a small wheel as opposed to a big wheel.

My traction has massively improved with these alloys/tyres especially in the wet though

worzel

LCR 225
Dec 20, 2009
Jersey
Sorry what do you mean by 'small stretch'? The alloys I have bought are 8j so I'm hoping I don't have to stretch anything to get them to fit. I always felt the 225's from the the back looked a little thin. Do the 235's look a lot better in you opinion? Do you have spacers?

worzel

LCR 225
Dec 20, 2009
Jersey
He means that he's had to put thinner tyres on the front wheels to avoid the wheel rubbing on the arch lip so much.

Thanks for this guys. With exception to the weight increase, I think as a straight swap, the wheels & tyres ive ordered should fit very nicely. I've done the math and the wheel circumference on the front should be smaller than before...not sure this is right though.

Just received an e-mail to say that have been dispatched.

As soon as can get enough posts I can get some pics up...still got about 8 more to go.

BenG

Ben
Oct 26, 2011
Cove Bay, Aberdeen
When I took the wheels and tyres off my Mk 1 FR TDI they weighed 21kg each. I'd guess the rims are about 10kg.

Replaced them with 16" Team Dynamics with 205/55 tyres and saved 4kg a corner...

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
The FR wheels are Ronal, and in the 10 to 11 kg (rim only) range.

They are quoted as 7" x 17", but a measurement indicates they are closer to 7.5" in width. This is why they come with 225/45R17 tyres as standard.

~Nautilus

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.