Sticking Rear Calipers

maxcars1

Nov 9, 2004
Is this probem common on rear discs? On a regular basis I get a loud clunck from the rear dics when I reverse after I've released the handbrake. Is there anyway that I can carryout preventative maintenance to reduce this problem.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
only time get this is if the car goes in the garage wet not used for a while.

I know some of the Leon boys suffer from this, so may be worth a serach on the Leon threads, if under warranty still get in for a check. I assume there is no signs of eneven wear or excessive brake dust from one over the other???

maxcars1

Nov 9, 2004
Ant FR said:
only time get this is if the car goes in the garage wet not used for a while.QUOTE]

So there's my link, when its wet. what causes this problem then Ant? Should I be worried. I'm thinking corroded cables/linkages and uneven brakewear, or major money. Please put my mind at ease.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
no, think of it like this, you go on a long journey or use your brakes a bit then you pull on to the drive park up and put the handbrake on. If the disc is wet it then dries wuite quickly and this causes it to slightly stick. Its just the pad sticking to the Disc thats all.

If you remmeber a few years ago xantias had a problem with parking on hills due to a front wheel handbrake, it was due to the front discs being so hot when they parked up, that after a while the disc would reduce in size due to cooling meaning the handbrake at the front slipped and thus car rolled sown hill.

Not so much the case in the ibiza as rear discs should never get a shot as the fronts. But this is how the sticking comes about, water evaporating leaving crap between the pad and disc causing it to initially stick. if its only occasionaly in the wet then theres nothing to worry about, if its all the time get it checked. Also depends how hard you pull the handbrake up, if like brother that means untl the lever hits the cieling that will alos accentuate the sticking.

maxcars1

Nov 9, 2004
Actually, the rears were an "advisory" at my first MOT last month. He was talking about the corrosion I suppose, and they do have a bit of a lip - my cars done 45k. My car always lives in the garage. With this corrosion do you think new discs/pads and a quick overall is required.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
high metal content in modern pads.. (asbestos free) means, damp and pad to disk touching (which they do) they corrode to the disk surface and stick.

mine do it overnight especially in this damp weather at the mo

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
maxcars1 said:
Actually, the rears were an "advisory" at my first MOT last month. He was talking about the corrosion I suppose, and they do have a bit of a lip - my cars done 45k. My car always lives in the garage. With this corrosion do you think new discs/pads and a quick overall is required.
The rear discs on mine got quite badly corroded over time, think the dealer started to mention it after about 40k.
Unfortunately, as I was on the maintenance contract, they wouldn't change them until reaaaallllyy bad to make sure they got paid for the job, so they ended up being done at 70k.

Now I have good discs and pads again, but have started to get that loud droning noise when I'm reversing and brake, just like I did when the car was new :(

Triple D

The brakes on my stepdads lotus stick occasionally in the cold weather when its not been used for a couple of days.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.