strut brace vibration question..

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
So poped my new seat sport strut brace on tonight (thanks David @ SERE!) [B)]

Everything on fine, all bolts tight and everything replaced. Took it for a quick test drive, only issue I noticed was that there was a definite new vibration noise when pulling away slowly ONLY using the clutch or very little gas (so the revs drop a bit below idle causing more vibration in the engine bay than normal)...

Had a quick search of the forum and found some comments about engine covers and air boxes vibrating against it.. particularly on the cupra?

Does this also apply to the PD130 standard airbox and engine cover? Anyone else notice anything similar?

I will have to look more closely tomorrow when there is more light!

Other than that it looks great :D, will have to see bout the handling, haven't had enough of a test drive to tell.

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
My engine cover slightly catches the brace, im planning to cusion it with some sticky back foam.

Im not sure if the 130 has the black box on top of the strut on the drivers side, but i didnt fully tighten mine back down, and it rattled a bit on the first run. Worth checking.

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
I bet its your engine cover.... mine made loads of noise, trimmed it at first, then removed it completely in the end!

Airbox clearance
CIMG2050.jpg

Cover touching brace
CIMG1893.jpg

Evidence of rubbage
CIMG2053.jpg

Trimmed
CIMG2051.jpg

Last edited:

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
Yep, it was the engine cover, I wedged a bit of sponge under the air box and then the engine cover to see which one it was.

Guess I can either live with it, remove the cover or put some padding around there..

Last edited:

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
Fit is shocking seeing as its a SEAT part! Don't worry about the hassle of trimming it, just remove it all together. It wouldn't have been the airbox as that stays fairly static when the engine is under load. The engine on the other hand moves quite a bit!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.