Suspect boost leak (hissing) - costs?

Mewcenary

Mar 16, 2006
Farnham, Surrey
Hi,

When fixing up the engine block, mechanic has mentioned there is a 'hissing' sound, and that combined with the recent error codes from VAG.COM would indicate a possible boost leak.

They mentioned it would require some form of 'octopus' of pipes and here I am showing my ignorance as I am not mechanically minded. However, I've found plenty of threads on here about boost leaks so you guys should know what is generally involved in fixing such a problem....

Thanks!

Mewcenary

Mar 16, 2006
Farnham, Surrey
Ok you're assuming I have any mechanical know-how ;) Computers, yep, brilliant, cars and pipes and pistons and things? Pretty useless. Is this really something within my grasp??

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
easy - even computer geeks can find boost leaks

spot what's wrong with this pipe

Breather_Pipe_Boost_Leak03_640x480.jpg

If you saw the split, you're a winner

If you're wondering why his hands are dirty, you're a weiner

Mewcenary

Mar 16, 2006
Farnham, Surrey
Splits are easy enough. But you need to go back a step and the fact I wouldn't know which hoses to be looking at in the first place. Not even a Haynes manual available to help me along my way...

Maybe I should do that basic car mechanic course...

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Easy still!

Look at all the hoses (with the exception of the ones that go to the radiator)

If you don't know what the radiator is, just look at all the pipes - the radiator only has two running to it, so you won't save much time.

But mostly it's all of them.. small bore, large bore etc

Take some pics of any you're not sure on & we'll tell you either way

Mewcenary

Mar 16, 2006
Farnham, Surrey
And I guess follow the hissing sound...

This being the case am surprised dealer is immediately pricing up replacement in the way they are. I'll get full info when I pick up the car in case I missed something.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Nah, you can't hear hissing very easily with the engine running next to it... No boost is generated unless the car is loaded up & I wouldn't suggest getting someone to drive around under boost with your head under the bonnet.

Bit of fairy liquid in water rubbed over the pipes will show you where there are bubbles coming from too. do one pipe at a time & don't just empty a bucket over the engine :)

jamiebennett81

Hi,

When fixing up the engine block, mechanic has mentioned there is a 'hissing' sound, and that combined with the recent error codes from VAG.COM would indicate a possible boost leak.

They mentioned it would require some form of 'octopus' of pipes and here I am showing my ignorance as I am not mechanically minded. However, I've found plenty of threads on here about boost leaks so you guys should know what is generally involved in fixing such a problem....

Thanks!

boost leaks dont bring up VAG Com errors, it will show a fluctuation in boost when logging

and if a mechanic is stating it will require some octopus of pipes to fix the issue, he is talking $hit

if it is hissing, the the pipe which is split or loose will just need fixing, and no other "octopus" of pipes will need introducing into the engine bay

best thing to do is go over all the pipework for splits, check the jubilee clips on each pipe to ensure they are tight

what model Leon is yours and how many miles has it done?

Mewcenary

Mar 16, 2006
Farnham, Surrey
20VT Cupra, 2002, 120k.

Report says hissing from 'under manifold' with quoted 200 + VAT to fix. Have not noticed any drop in performance but could have happened gradually over time. Have cleared warning light but only done 30 miles since then.

Does that help?

jamiebennett81

20VT Cupra, 2002, 120k.

Report says hissing from 'under manifold' with quoted 200 + VAT to fix. Have not noticed any drop in performance but could have happened gradually over time. Have cleared warning light but only done 30 miles since then.

Does that help?

Just replace the pipes under the manifold mate

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.