swap front tyres with rears, or replace fronts?

Sep 3, 2008
Buckie, Moray
The eagle F1s on the front of the ibiza have taken a beaten last few months and are getting low.

Thought about swapping them with the rear wheels, and got dunlop sp sportmaxx's on the rear

This ok to do or would I be better leaving the F1s on the front and replacing them when their done?

Dont want to swap them over then have shite grip on the front durin winter, unsure how good the dunlops are compared to the f1's

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
having low tyres on the back can cause the back to brake out under braking. they always recommend you put new on the rear and worn on the front

Cupra_Jay

Orange Wheels FTW!!
Oct 25, 2006
Pub!!
How did u find the Goodyear's?? am looking into getting them next for my mk4 Cupra. Where they very grippy?? what where they like in the wet?

Mar 16, 2008
Wiltshire / Bristol
Id like to know about the goodyears as well as im thinking of getting some. Most of the reports ive read on here say that they are good tyres, im just a bit concerned about the wet.

Keep the good tyres on the back, you might controll a skid with the front of the car, and you should feel it start to go, but if the back end looses grip thers not much you can do!

andycupra

status subject to change
its common for people to replace front and leave the rears, or put worn fronts on rear shortly before they become illegal.
However this is not recommended. As above if any wheels are to let go you dont want it to be the rears.

what you should do, is leave the fronts on; then when they need replacing put the new tyres onthe rear and the rears onthe front.
This also ensures that rears do not stay on a car for many years and fail due to age.

Sep 3, 2008
Buckie, Moray
Il just stick with the worn F1s on the front then and start taking it a bit easier so they last a little longer :happy:

I cant fault the F1's. On my other cars iv just had budgets, or not had a car long enough to warrant needing new tyres. I can easily boot it in the wet and not scare myself, and also when driving and hitting puddles the car is perfect and holds the road still. Few weeks ago hit a large puddle, didnt see it and was doing around 50mph. Gripped the wheel, water all over the windscreen and when the windscreen cleared I wasnt expecting to be on my own side of the road:headhurt:

I would highly reccomend the F1s to anyone, and im sure alot of other people will! Thanks for the replies

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
As said before, tyre industry standard practise is to always move the new tyres to the rear of the car. At first this can cause you to panic (they've changed the wrong pair!) - but ends up okay. I thought at first that it was illogical and not right - but I've just got to fall in line and say that that is the way it should be done.

Aimez

Il just stick with the worn F1s on the front then and start taking it a bit easier so they last a little longer :happy:

I cant fault the F1's. On my other cars iv just had budgets, or not had a car long enough to warrant needing new tyres. I can easily boot it in the wet and not scare myself, and also when driving and hitting puddles the car is perfect and holds the road still. Few weeks ago hit a large puddle, didnt see it and was doing around 50mph. Gripped the wheel, water all over the windscreen and when the windscreen cleared I wasnt expecting to be on my own side of the road:headhurt:

I would highly reccomend the F1s to anyone, and im sure alot of other people will! Thanks for the replies

Had 4 new ones on for 100 miles now not pushed it so as to wear them in first but sounds like I chose well!

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004
so to sum up, you can put front onto rears as long as you replace them within good time

You can do it, but it's a good way to be able to start a post 'I don't know what happened, I wasn't going faster than normal on a bend and the car just spun off the road.'

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
I always put my new tyres on the back and put the backs on the front. You should probably scrub them in first but I've never felt the back come out with new rubber.

I'm glad the F1s are recommended, I'm getting a pair fitted tomorrow!

nam

May 29, 2007
Northwest
F1's are the best tyres i've ran even in the wet. would put low tyres on the rear, i did this on my corsa and ended up backwards up a roundabout in the wet!

Cupra_Jay

Orange Wheels FTW!!
Oct 25, 2006
Pub!!
nice to hear people recommend the Goodyear F1's! gonna get through the existing pair of tyres on my car.....crappy Avons (didnt have a choice in these! was either them or budget tyres or carry on driving on my already near as bald tyres!! :ban: lol)

how long have a set lasted for those of you that have had them????

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
nice to hear people recommend the Goodyear F1's! gonna get through the existing pair of tyres on my car.....crappy Avons (didnt have a choice in these! was either them or budget tyres or carry on driving on my already near as bald tyres!! :ban: lol)

Good, as nowadays, both Firestone and Avon are really budget tyres - but tyres with a reasonable past history that is no longer justified along with some other older brands like India etc. Avon used to work very well on Land Rovers used for working off-road a lot - but that was 30-40 years ago - so not necessarly relevant today on on-road use on cars.

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales

Bit of a "how long's a piece of string?" question that - it's so dependant on how you drive and on what sort of roads. A prime example being on my old Ibiza which I covered 21000 miles in over the 11 months I had it, and all the tyres still had 4mm of tread on them.

Obviously my dricing style and the roads that I drive on are kind to tyres.

Cupra_Jay

Orange Wheels FTW!!
Oct 25, 2006
Pub!!
Bit of a "how long's a piece of string?" question that - it's so dependant on how you drive and on what sort of roads. A prime example being on my old Ibiza which I covered 21000 miles in over the 11 months I had it, and all the tyres still had 4mm of tread on them.

Obviously my dricing style and the roads that I drive on are kind to tyres.

yeah i can appreciate that, everyone drives differently, no 2 people drive exactly the same. Was just trying to work out an average of what mileage people have had out of their tyres, as i dont see the point of spending £90+ a tyre if im only going to get a few thousand miles out of them before i need to replace them!

Aimez

Yeh but then you may as well buy a cheap pair that last longer if the life is your main concern, I went for F1s cos of so many people on here recommended them as a safe quality tyre. The tyre fitter said I had chosen very good tyres (I did not buy them from him so he was not obligated to say that)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.