switch off the side airbags on my Cupra

Jul 11, 2009
Dorking
Early start this morning, drove to Volkswagen Racing in Milton Keynes (42.2mpg) to let them see if they could switch off the side airbags on my Cupra so the new seats could go in.
They were flat out building up racing Leons, and there were a few other interesting cars there inc 2 KTM X-bows, MK5 GTis, vans and allsorts. In the corner was an early TSi engine from a MK5 Golf GT which had been raced with 235bhp, years before the ECU coding for this unit had been cracked - how did they do it? The first 250 Golfs with the 1.4 twincharged engine left the factory with GTi ECUs running the map for the TSi. As this ECU could be opened already, remapping was possible, but VW Racing had to track down 1 of these 250 cars. Turned out most were dealer demos in Germany so they bought 1 there! The dealer couldn't understand why they weren't interested in the spec of the car, little knowing it was going to be stripped out and turned into a race car.
The guys were loving the new Cupra, but had bad news on the airbag issue, software won't allow them to be switched off, but they did code out the seatbelt warning light and 'bong' + they gave me a tip to sort the side bags which I am in the process of trying, so nearly there. :)

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
Nicely done! Any pics?

If driven properly these car's can be frugle!

What else did they do to the TSI other than a remap?

Jul 11, 2009
Dorking
they have to keep a few secrets to themselves, but it looked standard from the outside, apart from no cover on the supercharger - very noisy in a bad way apparently. After that visit I dropped in on Simon Howarth at AMD Woking to check the ECU is the right type to remap, a new product is being released next week that sounds good, and its the right price!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.