Tdi 110 toledo- part identification needed

nathal

Oct 20, 2008
there is a part in my engine bay which is rattling.

when looking into the cars engine from the front of car, it is a black tube, possible spring loaded, which is down beside the timing belt.

is it a tensioner for the fan belt, and should it be rattling

tolly_tdi

diesel power
Dec 13, 2008
York
The part you have mentioned is fan belt tensioner or ribbed v-belt tensioner as VAG like to call it. It is spring loaded. Personally never heard anyone mention this before so others may be able to give their two cents.
Is the belt also squeaking as if to suggest it is loose slightly? Its also possible that bolts may be slightly loose. If it needs replacing you will have to jack the car up and remove wheel and some inner plastic panelling to get to it.

nathal

Oct 20, 2008
the fan belt isnt squeaking, there is a rattle from just below or around the tensioner, tryin to get to the bottom of it.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Just below or around the tensioner describes the alternator, airconditioning compressor and the crankshaft pulley which has some kind of antivibration damping mechanism in it. The water pump is also roughly in this location, though back inside the engine block and driven by the toothed belt.

Russ_Co

I have the same problem a noisy/broken belt tensioner on my Leon FR+ which was serviced in decemeber and I mentioned a noise but they couldn't identify it at the time. although my neighbour (Ex RAC) knew what it was straight away.

the noise gets worse if there is any strain on the belt from having the heated rear window/lights on etc, as my Leon is 1 month out of warranty now I have contacted the stealer (Cooks Oldham) and asked if they can sort it.

They have just got back to me and will change the belt and tensioner for £47.76 and SEAT will pay the rest (around £82) which I presume is the labour.

Last edited by a moderator:

nathal

Oct 20, 2008
also,can anyone show me the layout of the pipes onto of fuel filter to point out fuel direction and to make sure the ventil is on the right feed lines. from what i can gather my ventil to fuel filter is on return line to tank

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
nathal wrote

also,can anyone show me the layout of the pipes onto of fuel filter to point out fuel direction and to make sure the ventil is on the right feed lines. from what i can gather my ventil to fuel filter is on return line to tank

ventil ?????

Fuel filter lines:

Fuel tank - - -> filter - - - >Injection pump

Mounted on top of the fuel filter is a regulating valve in the fuel return line:

Fuel tank<- - - regulating valve<- - - Injection pump

There is a water drain cap on the bottom of the filter.

nathal

Oct 20, 2008
so, the fuel comes direct from the tank into injection pump, and back throught the fuel filter into tank.

my fuel line into injector has alot of bubbles in it, would that be the pumps fault

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Nooooooo - I thought it was clear enough!

Fuel is lifted from the tank through the fuel filter by the injection pump, which goes on to deliver high pressure fuel to the injectors.

At anything less than full power, some fuel is rejected by the ECU and returned to the tank. The fuel return line has a regulating valve in it to keep some pressure on the engine-side and stop air creeping back from the return pipe.

The lines between pump and injector are solid metal, so anyplace you can see bubbles on the input side is before the pump. If you have bubbles there, I'm not sure how to deal with them, having never done so myself.

nathal

Oct 20, 2008
any chance you could post a pic of the pipes layout on your filter to the pump.

nathal

Oct 20, 2008
the way my pipes are: blue pipe end, from tank goes throught the black piece ontop of fuel filter, then to the far side of the pump and into a nut just above where the steel pipes that goto injectors.
the return pipe comes out the side closest to fuel filter and connected to top of fuel filter and then the remainer return comes out from the next hole in filter

nathal

Oct 20, 2008
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=192464

from what i about makout, from this pic, my pipes seem to be hooked up right. is the clear see through pipe the in or out to the injector pump.

also there is a valve on my car above number 18 in pic, which sits on back row along side boost valve egr valve, but its not named

Last edited:

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Fuelfilter.jpg

Fuel is sucked from the tank, through the filter and into the injection pump. Fuel not delivered to the injectors is returned through the separate valve that sits on top of the filter. The fuel is filtered before being injected - there's little point in filtering it afterwards.

In the underbonnet picture, the clear tube is in the delivery side of the fuel system.

As for the valve on your firewall next to the EGR valve (18 in the picture) what does it look like, and if it's a vacuum valve, where do the vacuum tubes go to?

Last edited:

nathal

Oct 20, 2008
the valve is on back firewall and connected to anti shudder.

i unplugged the plug, and stopped car but the anti shudder didnt close, so it must be a valve to control the anti shudder.

also, so the clear tube to the pump is the diesel into the pump. that is where i have air bubbles.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Some more research: The function of the regulating valve on top of the filter is to allow warm fuel into the filter when its cold outside. Quoted from the TDIClub FAQ:

"The return line from the injector pump is also attached to the top of the filter via an inline "tee-piece", held in place on the filter by a spring clip. The tee-piece is a temperature sensitive valve that opens when the fuel temperature is below about 15 C / 60 F, and closes fully when above 25 C / 80 F - the purpose of this is to supply some heat to the filter during cold conditions, to resist the tendency for cold diesel fuel to "gel"."

Seat removes bubbles from the fuel delivery line by attaching a suction pump to the injection pump outlet and sucking fuel through the pump.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Could you use your indicators when you're about to change subjects, I'm getting dizzy.

We were talking about fuel lines to and from the filter. Your last posts are a complete change of subject

The valve you are referring to is indeed the N239 valve, the one that actuates the anti-shudder flap. The major clue is that it only has two vacuum lines. This valve has nothing at all to do with the fuel system.

Robb1990

May 14, 2008
The air bubbles dont mean anything, ive got loads in mine if i leave the car standing and engine switched off. The pipe can compleatly empty of fuel and it will still start and run fine, i can only assume there is some kind of resovior inside the fuel pump to get rid of the air bubbles.

nathal

Oct 20, 2008
Could you use your indicators when you're about to change subjects, I'm getting dizzy.

LOL

trying not to start to may new threads, but understand you point.

why, i ask about the valve, is because, when i let my foot of the accelator, i uselassy get a hiss, but now i get a chooch, chooch (if you can imagine what that sounds like)

i think its coming from that valve. sometimes mid accelaration, it would release pressure to quick

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.