I had no intention on using any of this stuff anyway as I'll be using the ones on the donor vehicle but it's quite interesting to see how many knackered bits I'm accumulating whilst pulling it apart.
I peaked into the exhaust ports on the cylinder head and I'm certain I can see a row of bent valves which is of no surprise what so ever.
Absolutely zero compression as well and I can spin it over with one hand, not even a ratchet or bar needed on the crankshaft!
Not much to report as ive had limited workshop time and any chance I've had has gone on stripping the red one to scrape some pennies back.
I seem to be ordering bits and pieces almost daily though haha
Infact I've already placed an order for a load of gaskets and seals with TPS this morning in hope of rectifying the god awful mess I discovered whilst pulling the donor apart...literally oil everywhere!
Also received this engine stand yesterday, I thought it would make life easier to tidy the block up whilst its removed from the bay instead of it just swinging around on the hoist.
Literally the cheapest one i could find and it really shows in the fabrication and kinda wished I'd just made my own now.
The swivel head tolerances were pitiful and had so much movement in every plane there was no way i was going anywhere near my engine without some modifications first.
New longer, thicker and considerably stronger locking pin fabricated.
Main upright box section drilled out to accept longer pin.
Pivot tube wrapped in feather tape.
Split pin installed in swivel bar to stop it falling out.
All in all feels loads safer....just need to wait and see if the welds are man enough lol
Plenty of dismantling the past week or two, the red donor vehicle is essentially a bare shell now and my grey has everything unwanted removed now ie. Engine, exhaust system, fuel pump.
I had a bit of quiet morning at work so took the opportunity to spend a few hours cleaning, smoothing & painting a spare rocker cover and inlet manifold I had.
Several coats of xtreme high temperature graphite grey made a world of difference.
The Michi oil catch can had a refresh with a new coat of satin black after I'd stripped the old paint off.
I also shifted the old injector cups with a little 20mm hex tool I fabricated as I couldn't be arsed to wait for one in the post.
A large order was also put into my friendly TPS store for new injector cups, a load of engine mount bolts, AC seals, steering rack seals amongst other things which I'll collect tomorrow.
Cheers, I'm really happy with the finish actually considering it was from a rattle can and the nozzles kept blocking.
I think the copious amount of prep work really paid off as well, both pieces were pretty disgusting to start with.
The finish isn't glossy but not overly matt either...almost satin like.
Initially I was a bit sceptical about the colour as it wasn't what I had in mind but I think the orangey workshop lighting is making it look more bronzey than it will be in natural lighting anyway.
Today I started the mammoth task of cleaning up the donor engine which is a lot dirtier than I was expecting, especially considering it had a considerable amount of work carried out on it over the past few years.
Clearly the rocker cover gaskets have been leaking for some time as there's oil and grime literally everywhere and the gearbox is absolutely smothered in crap.
Had my first proper inspection of the Mamba hybrid K04 turbo and once I'd pulled the gearbox off I discovered a Valeo single mass flywheel and clutch kit which was unexpected as I was told it had a new LUK clutch kit fitted...all appears to be good order though.
I was hoping to get the engine mounted on the stand today but no chance of that as I was struggling to find suitable bolts plus I'm going to need some spacers so it clears the flywheel.