The Cupra GTI Project

Fenix

Apr 17, 2005
Essex
Hi everyone,

I have laid the 1.4 to rest before giving her a fair go due to an opportunity which came to life earlier this week - james_mk's Copper Cupra turned up.

This topic is basically a log of all the work I have done or will be doing to the car. This post will be updated every so often, so if you're interested check back often!

The Copper Cupra was in a small front end 'bump' which cracked the bumper, headlights, indicators, one fog light and pushed the bonnet back. The plan was to transfer parts from my 1.4, bash the bonnet out, get the car jigged if needs be, install my Recaro's then go Euro Styleé. Infact, I was just going to rebuild it. Of course nothing is ever that simple..

One
The car arrived around 11am and was laid to rest on the road - because with a flat tyre and an uphill drive - there was no way the car was getting up there without being driven. But you can't drive a car with a dead battery. So I ring my friend (and mechanic) as he's offered his help sorting the car out and fill him in. 'No probs' says he, 'be there in 30.' Whilst I wait, I assess the car's condition - small amount of bubbling on the rear arch, bit of love needed to repaint a bit of the offside wing mirror, possible bolloxed radiator..time to go into the car. Or not as the case may be, a lock barrel was loose and, when trying to get into the car, I pulled the thing clean out. Bugger. Still very impressed with it though.

My friend (we'll call him Mr. Pink) arrives and I put the kettle on (as you do) while he has a look under the bonnet. He tests the car isn't twisted (both doors close on their own) and kindly puts the offside splitter back on correctly to stop the car looking twisted. The plan was to jump the car from his van, reverse it up the drive then start working. This didn't work as the battery was buggered. We steal the one from my 1.4 and the Cupra turns over but won't start. Panic sets in. The engine is running fine. Sand down the sparks and try again. No luck. I've been had!

Pinky's wife came along as well for moral support and innocently suggested the car had no petrol in it. 'Don't be silly' says Pinky, the little life we got from the car showed the petrol gauge rise. I drop James a quick text - 'is there any petrol in it?' and he replies 'No don't think so, go get some you pikey *******.' Oops.

A quick jog to Tesco for a jerry can and £5 of petrol sorts us out and the Cupra jumps into action and scares two cats sitting further down the street. Onto the drive (hoorah) for some real work.

1)Flat tyres, barely legal tyres and one so shagged it puts Jenna Jameson to shame.

2)Some radiator fins are damaged, but it's not leaking.

3)Where the hell did my v5 slip go!

4)The GTI headlights are twin-bulb, the 1.4's are not.

To cut a long story short (and to end one) it's taken us days and numerous adventures to find headlights, indicators and a slam panel that would fit. We did plan on modifiying one from a 1.6 but then I stumbled upon a GTI in a scrappy (literally).

Being a CAT D there's really nothing to worry about. But then we noticed one of the front arms (excuse my non-techie term) has actually got a dip in it. The plan now is to swap everything possible from the 1.4 onto the Cupra, run it for an MOT and take it from there.

Straightened most of the arms out but need to do a tiny bit of welding here and there, so hopefully on Monday/Tuesday the job will be done and she'll be MOT.

Here's some photos!

one.jpg

Removing the radiator - note the crippled arm

two.jpg

Cupra and Mr. Pink

three.jpg

Mr. Pink repairing the nearside arm (i.e. straightening it). You can also see the 1.4 in the background. We were working in the rain! Urgh.

Can I just say, Mr. Pink is a qualified mechanic and I do not recommend anybody tries this sort of repair without one. Just because you straighten the arms doesn't mean they're strong enough, or you may find a dip in one like we have. If it passes an MOT and you crash, they won't do their job properly and your car will take a massive beating. A simple front end bump could, in the worst case scenario, kill you.

From here on in it's photos and basic updates of work done!

Two
Today I put the front seats back in, removed the hands free kit and reattached the fuse cover glovebox and lower half of the steering column cover. I noted that the passenger front seat has a yellowish rubber stop in the middle of the bracket (floor mounted) but my drivers side did not. Does anyone know what this does? I'm also on the look out for the glovebox light as that's missing and the "seat" black strip that goes across the Seat badge on the boot. Apparently having the bulbs showing over the numberplates (white light) is illegal and MOT failure.

Tomorrow there'll be more front end work and all the wheels will be swapped over and hopefully an MOT on Tuesday if the basic welding is done!

I took the Momo gear knob from my 1.4 and as nice as it is, I'm not sure if I'll keep it. Going to remove the 1.4's CD player (what keys do I need - VW or Skoda? They're flat..) it's a nice JVC but popped into Halfords (old workplace) and saw the newer model of the CD player I wanted - it's ace! Got bluetooth to stream music and handsfree etc. Anyway, I'll probably invest in that so got a JVC HU ready to go in the next few weeks.

Also - anyone know how to remove nail varnish from the carpet? And is the roof trim easy to replace or clean?

Three
Right it's been a while since I updated. A fair bit of work has gone on and it's taken longer than planned. The photo's pretty much explain what's gone on - but here's a few key points.

1)Located GTI lights + indicators
2)Smoothed, filled and sprayed bumper
3)Covered the rear number plate lights with the Seat strips (so I can pass the MOT)
4)Set the car alight when welding
5)Was stumped as to why the alloys didn't fit the Cupra before realising they came with a rubber adapater I needed to transfer over too - oops
6)The 1.4 has a hole in the exhaust
7)One tyre has inside wear on the 1.4 (so these are now on the Cupra). We're concerned as to how it got through the MOT when I purchased the 1.4 - so might be more money down the drain unnecessarily!

two.jpg

After a bit of welding..

three.jpg

While Mr.Pink was welding I decided I should sort this out

four.jpg

Good as new! Dropped the rest of the seats back in straight after

five.jpg

Mr.Pink caught red-handed stealing bits from the 1.4

six.jpg

Before the transplant

one.jpg

Done (for now)

Since the last photo the rest of the grills have gone on and the wheels have been swapped round. MOT day (finally) on Tuesday - fingers crossed!

Four
Well she went for an MOT yesterday and failed on a few silly things; this means that the welding and such like was spot on which was a relief!

MOT - Failed.
Headlight beam angles need adjusting (obv. as they're from a 1.4)
Offside light was too loose, as was a brake hose
New pads needed on rear brakes
Illegal rear plate (whoops)

The MOT guy didn't actually fail on the plate as he saw the legal one in the boot and just said swap it over ready for Thursday. The airbag light is on and I'm not sure what to do. I'll open the steering wheel maybe to see if the cables are loose if not I might need the cable and PC programme (VAG Com?) - if anyone wants to lend me one! If not I might just take the bulb out until the end of the month when I can afford to get the bits.

So now I get to order my new rims and coilovers (though I might get the coilovers then wait on the rims til nearer the end of the month) and put in my N-Joys. Still not got the CD player from my 1.4 out (oh dear) so am soundless but I don't really care, you can't hear much over the engine! Mr.Pink is in love with the Cupra and might buy my 1.4 off me, then drop a GTI engine in it. Is this possible/easily done? That would solve two problems (hole in exhaust, he'd just get a new one anyway and the car would be off my drive). Another successful Seat conversion I reckon.

Got to pop down the scrappy for my foglamp, foglamp cover (if it's still there) and a silver bonnet from a Corboda/Cordoba (I never remember which it is) and sort out a new front bumper and splitter. Actually I should probably do that before the seats and the wheels etc..but 9 months interest free (buy now pay later) is too tempting! Ah and a retrim for the back seats in leather also. Phew, busy busy busy!

New photos and updates on page two

Last edited:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Looks like fun!

Luckily they're pretty easy to bolt on if the leg is in the right place now

Fenix

Apr 17, 2005
Essex
Oh yes, I get to learn a bit of welding, bit of respraying and general car knowledge! It's going to be awesome! And I'm getting paid to do it as it's all holiday from work.

I have two very tasty suprises up my sleeve which I don't think anyone has done before (or not that I know of). One's to do with the front number plate placement, and the other is engine related.

Fenix

Apr 17, 2005
Essex
It's going on its ass on those deep dish wheels again - except I'm footing the bill this time. And to think I wanted to put my 1.4 on 17"s :( *ashamed*

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
that motor looked just before the bump

has it still got the golf leather hides ?

Fenix

Apr 17, 2005
Essex
Afraid not, only started working again so pretty skint - had the car on hold a few months before I got my hands on it! I think he has them for sale though. I already had two Recaro N-Joy seats (retrimmed in grade-A leather) to go in my car so I'm sticking to them as they are so damn comfy! And maybe retrim the back bench in leather at a later date.

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
I have two very tasty surprises up my sleeve...............and the other is engine related.

Are you gona supercharge the 8v lump?? You know you want to ;)

Good luck with the project mate, will be following your progress.

Mig

Fenix

Apr 17, 2005
Essex
acidstrato - it's a standard 2l 8v engine; the rocker was painted by James.

Czechboy - With insurance of £2200 as I've only just started to drive (I'm 19 then again not phoned round to get a better deal as I will install an alarm etc) I don't want to do too much engine modding just yet. Knowing my luck some twat will expect me to race round in it so stick to my ass end or something and eventually crash into me before I even get a good run from the car! But I have spotted a turbo I may borrow!

Updated main post

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
is the blank for if the passanger side has the optional airbag? do Seats have pretensioners? im just guessing! and yes showing any white light from the arse is illegal so u need to illuminate, but not have the illumination visiable to car in front if that makes sense lol!.. as for the rear strip get a gti reflective one looks alot better on the colour car than a black plastic lifted off a 1.4

jaketalbot

cupra Jake
Dec 11, 2006
Colchester
fenix- your girlfriend might write it off! if she can do mine she'll do yours too! :lol: how long before it's up and running? and are you going to change the rims?

and by the way i haven't got a spear splitter, but will keep an eye out for you, i'll keep hold of the air filter. check your pm.

Last edited:

Fenix

Apr 17, 2005
Essex
Hi guys,

Done some more work, just not been about to update the post. Today she's sitting on the alloys from my 1.4 and is ready to go for an MOT. Took her for a spin and my god it hates first gear haha it's fantastic!

Mckellar

that motor looked just before the bump

has it still got the golf leather hides ?

they werent golf seats - they were from a VR6 corrado. he tried to sell them to me on msn lol, wasnt for having it though..

yeah james mk2 looked good with the polished borbets on it! good luck with it now..:clap:

Fenix

Apr 17, 2005
Essex
Hi Jenk,

James did remove it initially and mounted the numberplate somewhere level with his front splitter. Sticking to UK Laws and wanting to pass the MOT I have to securely fix the number plate to the front of the car - so I can't just mount it in a recess in the passenger sun visor as I intended. As such, I have a cunning plan to keep the recess and stick to the law, so watch this space!