timing logs(020)

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Madmile said:
I dopped mine off Bill on the understanding i got it back when it suited them, there was not time restraints put on them by myself.

:hide:

so ready in June then :p - only kidding..

Hope its sorted quick and cheaply for you.

Apr 28, 2003
??????????
Visit site
ibizacupra said:
:D Cool - go on - you know you want to

Nah i dont, i want it repairing as cheap as possible so i can spend the money on the next project.

Jabba now offer upto 390ish bhp on a stnd engine mike said yesterday on my car he said a td06 20g and 390bhp.

But for a turbo swap, £500 labour £1000 turbo £500 mapping, and without doubt a new clutch £800. Plus injectors fuel pump etc, i reckon £3000.

GaryM

Golf GTI 1.8T 180
Feb 11, 2004
Nr Manchester
Standard engine as in standard internals with 390bhp?
What's the limit on these things? I assume most will say <320bhp with standard internals for reliability?

Apr 28, 2003
??????????
Visit site
Totally stndard internals but using a td06 20g turbo 390bhp. Other tuners may say 320bhp on ihi and stnd internals but there quite a way down the list of BT tuners and probably dont have the vast amount of knowledge that jabba do with these engines.

Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Madmile said:
Nah i dont, i want it repairing as cheap as possible so i can spend the money on the next project.

Jabba now offer upto 390ish bhp on a stnd engine mike said yesterday on my car he said a td06 20g and 390bhp.

But for a turbo swap, £500 labour £1000 turbo £500 mapping, and without doubt a new clutch £800. Plus injectors fuel pump etc, i reckon £3000.

I guess the more that are out there running (x) power levels that have'nt gone pop is showing there is more margin available remaining.... but that word is margin and pushing for more reduces it...

All down to risk, and how much you are prepared to . . . . .

The conservative will opt for internals then go for more, the more adventurous will go for more, save some money and "hope" VAG built a good motor to begin with.

"Roulette anyone?"

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
Madmile said:
Have you spoken to jabba about your car concerns Ryan.

Yep,talked to elton,couldn't get hold of mike,probably messing with your car gary.He said the same as you guys 5cf max .Said it could be a dodgy batch of optimax.So i am going to put a new tank in with millers octane booster and if i'm still seeing 7.5 then it needs attention.Elton stated that it will be running the original timing map from the summer.
Could anything have broken to have caused this?
Also discussed a pe1820 with valves and rods but was told the headline figures will not be alot different to my vf34/20 at 1.6bar but i would notice the difference on the road,figures quoted 380bhp.As John Banks stated a while ago it's not really worth swapping turbos without a good degree of improvement but Elton seemed to think my small port head was the restriction and the obvious problems with fitting a large port head.Do you think this would be the case with whatever turbo i choose.
Interesting info about the td05/20g ,have jabba fitted this to a car then?
Personally i think a gt3037s with a very small housing would be a nice turbo but fitment issues etc ihi/garrat.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
I very occasionally see it hit low 7's on cylinder 4, but usually only when pushing it really hard, and not all the time.

So, after reading this, I think I might take the timing down a little. I am currently running boost 6, timing 7 i think, so will take it back down to 6, 6.

GaryM

Golf GTI 1.8T 180
Feb 11, 2004
Nr Manchester
Pabs said:
So, after reading this, I think I might take the timing down a little. I am currently running boost 6, timing 7 i think, so will take it back down to 6, 6.

When I had Revo I always ran timing 6 with Optimax, pushed it to 7 when adding Millers Octane+ and hit 9 with Millers CVL Turbo. Always stayed under 5 CF.

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
Just re-read above,do you mean a td06/20g? or a td05 20g? The td06 is alot larger turbo,spool is quite slow but makes good power at lowish boost.I remember these from my mr2 days,probably good for 450bhp.

dan-ish

Audi Techie
Jan 26, 2005
darwen
ryan_s3 said:
Interesting info about the td05/20g ,have jabba fitted this to a car then?
Personally i think a gt3037s with a very small housing would be a nice turbo but fitment issues etc ihi/garrat.
They know of a car running a td05/20 and it's very torqie and still makes the power.
Did they say what power James mk2 made as a 1.9 I think thats still small port?
I know they have got a few new turbo options there in the middle of testing so time will tell for the best turbo option.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
cheers gary - i always use optimax too, so 6,6 it is for me.

Did anyone read the petrol comparison in a magazine recently? Tesco's 99, Race fuel, several 95 ron, optimax & ultimate?
Seems that the test shows ultimate to be the best all-rounder (but obviously race-fuel is superior but MUCH more expensive)

Apr 28, 2003
??????????
Visit site
ryan_s3 said:
Just re-read above,do you mean a td06/20g? or a td05 20g? The td06 is alot larger turbo,spool is quite slow but makes good power at lowish boost.I remember these from my mr2 days,probably good for 450bhp.

Mike said Td06 20g to me. I will confirm when i am down there next.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.