Toledos for 2007 BTCC

Muzorewa

¡Muchas gracias señores!
Aug 6, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
According to btcc.net Dave Pinkney's team are entering Pickford's & Hines' old Toledos from last year, with the possibility that one of them will be at Silverstone next month. Could be interesting ;)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
That would be interesting indeed

Would seem odd for them to test in a race situation. I can't help but worry what a pink/black livery would look like on a tolly!

Muzorewa

¡Muchas gracias señores!
Aug 6, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
The choice of drivers will be interesting as well. Pinkney in one, Picky in the other would make sense as (a) he's available and (b) he knows the car. ;)

Luke Hines may be a possibility, although he's done well in the Panoz in the British GT, the Ferrari 430 was always going to be difficult to beat :blink:

would be v nice to see an independant team in Seats, would break up the amount of Honda's and Vauxhalls!!

would also give us a bit of interest in the independants cup, and watching further down the field.

Bring it on, but Dave, please not in PINK :sick:

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
I'm not sure if Dave would be a driver. He owns his Integra and would perhaps want to race that still, as he's only in it for the fun and not winning outright races.

Tim - what do you mean it's not the 'proper Touring Car philosophy'? It's about the most affordable way a private team can go at the moment if they want to be competitive. Either that or buy a potentially unreliable Alfa 156 or a BMW 320, but without all the trick bits that Schnitzer use.

Timthebrief

Barmy Army sleeper cell
What I mean is that the original Touring car idea was for the cars at least to look like they were based on a road going saloon, that was available to the public to buy. i.e the "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday idea".

Obviously no one's going to want to develop and race a current Toledo :lol: Good luck to Pinkney & Co and more power to the cost effective independents , but longer term more current models and manufacturers would enhance the BTCC for the future IMHO.

JasonP06

Sep 11, 2006
I'm not sure if Dave would be a driver. He owns his Integra and would perhaps want to race that still, as he's only in it for the fun and not winning outright races.

How do you mean "in it for the fun"?

I can see where you perhaps may be coming from. Might have realised he wasn't ever going to be a serious contender. But when he bought his Integra he bought a very strong proven car that had a great first season. It is the same car that took Dan Eaves to the 1-2-3 at Thruxton in 2005.

But with only three races to go though I think it is unlikely Motorbase would enter the Toledo for just those three races, I think it is equally unlikely Dave would change to using the Toledo for just those three races.

But I personally would like to see Tom Onslow Cole in it next season. Much seems to be made of the difference between cars. But in this case theirs drivers that have proven despite the differences it is possible to bridge the divide. In this case the Cupra and Toledo. James Pickford and Huffy especially raced the Cupras and coped well with the Toledo.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
He's getting on a bit and is what they call a 'gentleman driver' these days. Someone who's earned their money and can afford to use it to go racing. Doesn't mean he's any less committed than the next guy, but he won't be crying about it if he doesn't win the title.

Motorbase said they want to get the car out at Silverstone, which would give them vital experience of running the car in a race weekend situation. Dave owns the Integra, so he'll be using that. Expect someone else to run in the Toledo.

Tom Onslow-Cole has plenty of funding behind him, so he'll have plenty of choice. Early rumours are pointing him towards Team RAC/WSR.

DANNY H

Mar 27, 2006
Ipswich
I cant see why the old toledo cant be competetive in the independant class, the astra coupes weren't that far off the pace of the new astras at brands.

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
Plus with the S2000 cars being the main class next year, there's every chance that the Toledos will be more of a competitive car than some points in 2004 and 2005, when the extra weight really showed.

JasonP06

Sep 11, 2006
Plus with the S2000 cars being the main class next year, there's every chance that the Toledos will be more of a competitive car than some points in 2004 and 2005, when the extra weight really showed.

That's a point I never thought of Iain. Might it be concievable two year old cars could concievably be close to being on the pace with brand new cars?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
it's possible - but looking at lap times the New Leon hands the toledo's their ass

Similar engine too, but I can't imagine an indy team wanting a maxxed out engine (unless they have deep pockets)

JasonP06

Sep 11, 2006
it's possible - but looking at lap times the New Leon hands the toledo's their ass

Similar engine too, but I can't imagine an indy team wanting a maxxed out engine (unless they have deep pockets)

I don't understand those racing terms.

"hands the toledo's their ass". Is that a good thing or bad thing for the Toledo?

"maxxed out"? Does that mean over used or perhaps too powerful?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
THe Toledo was slower than the New Leon

Given that the Leon will be cutting edge - the toledo will be further back regardless .

The Works engines do get well used - SEAT did 2 at the weekend - given that similar engines will cost ~10k to purchase, I can't see a privateer outfit affording too many of them in a year - so they will opt for a slightly less powerful / more reliable unit - maybe a slightly lower peak rpm.

JasonP06

Sep 11, 2006
I wonder if it's still the case that teams buying a Toledo will have to lease the engines from SEAT.

I heard on another forum that is costly too. What if the team makes the price for leasing the engine more affordable? Could the team do that?

JasonP06

Sep 11, 2006
I was under the impression that you can only lease the engines from SEAT

It is something I have only learned but I am sure you can only lease engines from SEAT. I just don't know how much it costs.

But another thing I would like to know to anyone interested in answering this are the engines different to each model?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
the engines aren't the same (wil be similar) - a quick scan of the cam covers will let you know that.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.