Track Day Special - Finished 19/04/09

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
Hi All,
As this is my real pride and joy i thought id add some pictures and details. Its not a SEAT so dont shoot me :) but i have got the LCR as the daily driver.

As an avid karter including BUKC and track day fan i decided with my Dad to build a mainly track focused car so we dont ruin the daily's. Thought about Caterhams, Westfields, MK's, Tiger, Mac1, Strikers, F27's the lot but ended up buying a Marc Nordon Racing Vortx Chassis with the inboard rocker suspension. Were hoping for a weight of about 420kg and its going to be fitted with a Yamaha R1, propshaft driven to a sierra rear differential. It was bought as a bare powder coated chassis so everything else has been done by myself and my Dad. Im a fair bit on from these pics but il keep it updated if anyones interested

Here's where it started
Fully round tube chassis
IMGP1136a.jpg

Main tub
40600010a.jpg

Rest of the body
40600009a.jpg

Pro Race 1.2s and 888's
IMGP1062a.jpg

Donor Bits - look like they came from a farm lol differential, drive shafts, calipers
IMGP1128a.jpg

IMGP1127a.jpg

IMGP1129a.jpg

Heart of the car - Yamaha R1 lump also needs a clean
IMGP1069a.jpg

Last edited:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Come on you've got to tell us who the legs belong to;)

Looks like your going to have a big job on your hands, is that caliper saveable??
Whats it from?
More pictures would be great.
If you don't mind costs would be good aswell to get an idea of how doable it is for the rest of us.

Cheers bud

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
lol D.K what are you saying mine arent that slim:p at first i was wondering what legs??? ive seen it and must be my sister getting in from a night out.

Starter kit for the car was around £3k and then after that it gets expensive. So far were upto £9k original budget was £8k so it easily spirals up depending on what you want as there are some very nice trick bits you can buy. You could get some used ford wheels for £50 or you could buy the pro race 1.2's withh r888s. Its easily half the price of a Westfield Megablade but its ten times as complicated and time consuming.

Some more pics before i leave for Edition

Refurbed donor parts
IMGP1132a.jpg

IMGP1134a-1.jpg

Did the calipers survive? Sure did and there off the seirra rears got much bigger things planned for the fronts.
IMGP1133a.jpg

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
Chris got any pics of yours? was it built/bought new/second hand? have you tracked it?

More pics - NOT OF MY SISTER :D
First real job on the car after the refurbished parts.
Cut/filed etc the front ally bulkhead panels then drilled and riveted them to the chassis
IMGP1092a.jpg

Brake and Fuel Pipes - brake pipe is easy to manipulate so bended that to place and dropped it in once the ends were flared to adapt them to the braided hoses and held them down with p-clips and rivets. Were going for a bias bared setup with two master cylinders one front and one rear with a sensor on the front that we mounted to some ally.
Front split
IMGP1161a.jpg

Rear split
IMGP1163a.jpg

Fuel pipe is easy to bend with a pipe bender but as i dont have one i warmed it up and gently bent it round a jam jar without any kinks. There are two pipes one for the flow to the engine - send, and one back to the tank - return. Laid these in the tunnel as best we could then flared the ends.
IMGP1171a.jpg

IMGP1172a.jpg

IMGP1167a.jpg

Adam

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
There will probably be 4-5 more updates before i am where i am now. If i wasnt at Edition38 then the body may have gone on this weekend but maybe next weekend instead now - will be quite an occassion as its been sitting in the garden under a tarp since December!

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
Was good to meet you too mate, the leons around have made me definetly want a wheel change but its going to be hard to find something original yet individual. Weather was rubbish i left before the awards gf and i were soaked, both forgot to pack the jackets and jumpers although today was worse in a single seater race car in thruxton lol

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
damn - wish i had a start like that :(

looking good

any chance of some detailed pics of ya sister. oops sorry my slip up meant inboard front suspenion :)

subscribed to thread now - nice work

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
Cheers Fapper you'l have to wait a day or two as i'l add it on the next update to keep it all in a progressive build up thread:)

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Cheers Fapper you'l have to wait a day or two as i'l add it on the next update to keep it all in a progressive build up thread:)

perfection is easy but genius takes time so don't worry no rush, just me nosey and intrigued into something different. I did some research when i started drawing up mine for the improbable idea for a decent race chassis under an old style model but the angles alone that i had to contend with put paid to the idea on mine - damn engines too big :)

i've subscribed so i wont miss anyhting i hope - when you get deeper in it gimme a shout and ill clean the thread up of all our babblings for ya [B)]

those shafts look like sierra 1.6/2.0 ? all in ones

i doubt you need anything tougher but i know a darrian owner that's done a lot of research cossie and lightweight shaft wise if you need any other options

Last edited:

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
Shafts were off our beautiful non lobro sierra that was broken without an engine otherwise we could have had a pinto but there a bit on the old side these days. Were looking into tougher more track orientated components once its done so i may be in touch just want to get it on the road and have some fun in it first.

Todays update
Fitted the two master cylinders for braking as said above were having a seperate front and rear cylinder for the front and rear brakes.
IMGP1189a.jpg

With the cylinders in place we bolted the pedals to the floor and fitted a bias bar to adjust the necessary pressure on the front and rear brakes.
IMGP1186a.jpg

Fitted the ally scuttle panel to mount the scuttle cover and wiring to.

The differential of the seirra isnt overly heavy for one person to hold but lifting it whilst on your back is another thing. Took so much longer than pictures can describe as we tried a few methods and ended up hoisting it with a ratchet strap. Nothing lined up with the pre made hoses so we made our own and its quite critical it all fits square.
a.jpg

With the Diff in we could get round to fitting the fuel tank. Its held in by ally straps covered in rubberised foam.
a-1.jpg

Heres the rear end with diff, tank and wiring all fitted in.
b.jpg

Rest of the wiring in the tunnel and in the engine bay
a-2.jpg

d.jpg

Last edited:

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
The standard prop doesnt quite cut it with a bike engine so we had a custom TRT(torque Resilient tube) made up with a centre bearing to pivot to the bike engine sproket(its been converted from a chain to prop by means of the sproket).
Rear
a-3.jpg

Centre Bearing
b-1.jpg

From the Front, you can also see we've cut the fuel pipes down and flared the ends
a-4.jpg

Couldnt afford carbon fibre interior panels - trust me there expensive plus harder to work with so we've gone for ABS plastic panels in carbon effect. Actually look pretty cool for the cheap version. Still involved lots of trimming cutting and swearing to get just right:)
d-1.jpg

The inboard suspension - quite different on 7 style cars most seem to be outboard but should reduce the unsprung weight making handling better. Using coilovers with protech adjustable dampers. It uses an ally CNC'd rocker with a 3:1 ratio and rod ended pushrods.
c.jpg

Thats it for today hope you all like it.
Adam

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise