Tracking alignment readings

R Power

R Power
May 19, 2008
Coventry
Right guys have a slight problem. Not sure if it is something to worry about though.
Ok, i just had 2 new tyres put on the front of my cupra R, and straight after i went and got tracking done by laser equipment. The garage showed me the reading and they are all over the place by the looks of it. The front left camber is pointing inwards more than the one on the driver side, and the back camber on the driver side is pointing outwards slightly whereas the passenger side one is the way it should be.
The garage said that the rear cannot be adjusted, as it has a solid bar going accross and the whole bar will need replacing. Is this true anyone?
Also on the front as he was going to align the wheels as much as he can without doing anything to the front cambers, the bit where they adjust the tracking behind the wheel is seized which they said was a common problem and will need to go to a mechanics garage where they can gas it off.
If needed i can take a picture of the reading and post that if it will make it easier to understand rather than my description.
But just wondering if i would need to rectify this??

cap r 225

the need for speed!
Feb 24, 2008
nantwich
www.seatcupra.net
had mine done today and was going to post something like this. my problem started when my front left tyre was wearing uneavenly. i too had four wheel laser alignment today and they said the fronts were spot on but the back was out? and they too said you can't adjust the rear but they can counteract it by adjusting the fronts. this did sound a little odd to me at the time but with an adjustment to tyre preassures aswell the car feels better.(i had been running 33 psi all round like it says on the fuel cap, they looked on autodata and said it recomends 29psi on the front and 26 psi on the rear. i'm hoping this will solve my uneaven tyre wear that alot of people running p-zeros have had. ie, wearing in the middle!)

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
Wearing the centre of the tyre down before the "outside" is down to the tyre being over-inflated.

1059.jpg

Last edited:

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
so what is the best pressure to runn on ,

i just had mine tracked 2weeks ago , took it back last week , as it was pulling to the left , he just gave my money back and said replace the arms and go somewhere else

sabredylan

Right guys have a slight problem. Not sure if it is something to worry about though.
Ok, i just had 2 new tyres put on the front of my cupra R, and straight after i went and got tracking done by laser equipment. The garage showed me the reading and they are all over the place by the looks of it. The front left camber is pointing inwards more than the one on the driver side, and the back camber on the driver side is pointing outwards slightly whereas the passenger side one is the way it should be.
The garage said that the rear cannot be adjusted, as it has a solid bar going accross and the whole bar will need replacing. Is this true anyone?
Also on the front as he was going to align the wheels as much as he can without doing anything to the front cambers, the bit where they adjust the tracking behind the wheel is seized which they said was a common problem and will need to go to a mechanics garage where they can gas it off.
If needed i can take a picture of the reading and post that if it will make it easier to understand rather than my description.
But just wondering if i would need to rectify this??

Dont be too concerned about the rear. The front needs sorting. The cupra r has adjustment slots on the bal joints. You need a good alignment tech. Most VW garages have a machine which can put the camber right, but will cost about £150. If you are anywhere near Awsome GTI, they will do it for about £80

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
I was told about the rear not being able to be adjusted when I had mine done after slamming the car on its ass.. (was a concern about the rear as it was a cat 'c' rear end damaged when I bought it) but was only 1mm out .. guy said he'd seen them 'out the factory gates at 8 or 9 mm, so that made me happy, my fronts were well out, but were adjusted quite easily
:D
(and was nowhere near £150!!!!)

ok, I know its an Ibiza not a Leon, but ...

R Power

R Power
May 19, 2008
Coventry
well the technician said that the rears are sitting the same even tho they are out, so they are not sitting the opposite ways or far out of each other. im more interested in the front really as thats where everything happens. i heard that the leon front cambers are known to sit inwards anyway, but would this cause a problem when doing tracking?

foxes

Feb 7, 2005
Bang In The Middle.
It would be nice to know of any professional garages who could tell us all what can/cant be adjusted.
Mines lowered on collies and my front two tyres are seriously worn on the inside, with the full alignment and camber set

GREY 225

Jim R
Oct 15, 2006
My last set of michelin tyres wore on the inside edges too,they did last 12,000 miles though so cant complain.I had the full laser alighnment/tracking check done when they were fitted and came away with a piece of paper with loads of figures on it which meant nothing to me but was told it was all ok,still wore on inside.Had a new set michelin just fitted and tracking checked again at ATS and they said it was slightly out:confused:They have adjusted tracking so ill see how these wear.Maybe its just one of those LCR things:shrug:

Mar 3, 2008
sunny Devon
funny you should say about tyre and tracking ware!! just had 2 tyres fitted to my lcr flaken fk2 the last set only did 5k and the inside of both tyres had blisterd yet my tracking was straight and trye pressure were correct any ideas!!!!!??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members