Tracking Cupra 280

Snah

Jul 7, 2014
Netherlands
I had also a pre FL FR-TDI and it was alot more harsh.
In fact when driving you never sat still in your seat, always moving by every little bump and at high speeds (above 200 km/h) it was really uncomfortable. The FL FR-TDI even with the lowering springs was so much better.
But the Cupra 280 is even better in Cupra mode than the FL FR-TDI.
So they did a really good job there and when you want to lower it is is mostly done for the cosmetic part.
Buth when you want to do that you also want to give the front some more negative camber to improve cornering in the track.

Last edited:

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
My car handles great on twisty roads , as long as I'm not in comfort mode, tyres should be 39F/35R for normal load, and I don't hang about, as I like to travel at the same rate as when on two wheels.

forge197

SE>FR>CUPRA
May 14, 2002
UK
Visit site
So the first part of my 2 part track inspired long weekend competed yesterday, and my first taste of the Cupra in an unlimited environment and free to explore its potential.

I've used these guys before earlier in the year with my GT86 and through the forum 6 of us attended the PDTC course with CAT Driver Training at Millbrook http://goo.gl/yLx9OL, 6 brings the cost down a bit.

Firstly Millbrook is an awesome experience and a great facility to learn the cars capability that just aren't possible on the highway.

A few observations from the day.

• Stopping distance is slightly shorter from high speed with DCC set to Cupra
  • On the banked circle at 131 indicated the car is stable and confidence inspiring with DCC set to Cupra, set to comfort it's far less confidence inspiring at around 125 being the most I felt comfortable at.
  • DSG in Cupra mode and set so S and not D at least for yesterday was always in the right gear
  • The diff is a revelation having had both Focus ST 's the Cupra puts the power down far better out of corners
  • Cupra is very predictable at the edge with traction off and pushing the car past traction there were no aids as you'd hope when off, sport was pretty fair and with it all on was like driving with a nanny :)
  • With the DSG you can't use the throttle and brake at the same time, so no left foot braking.
  • Lovely handling on what feels like a sorted chassis.
  • On the damp need to progressively feed power it does spin it's wheels easily which is to be expected.
  • Built on the core skills from earlier in the year which I hadn't forgotten which was good :)

I was far more impressed with how capable the car is and what it can do than I expected, it's a joy to drive in a straight line, through hair pins and through twisty bits :)

So Snetterton Monday to put what I've learnt about the car yesterday into practice on the track, looking forward to see how it is and answer my original question and how it compares with my former track cars the GT86, Clio 182 and R56 Cooper S

Last edited:

Cuprarob112

Dec 6, 2008
Think expectations are a bit on the high side here. In the end a cupra it's just a fwd car with a lot of power.
Didn't own the 1f (yet) but did enough miles in it to say it's a fast very capable car and at least on par with it's competitors. The cupra is excellent under good conditions (= warm weather smooth roads) but not so much in less than perfect circumstances (and tuning doesn't improve things).
At the moment I own a slightly tuned 2012 STI se and most of the time (rain/cold/crappy tarmac/corners) it feels way more secure than the cupra and going fast ist much easier (all at the penalty of fuel consumption, insurance costs and reliability).
Hate to say it but for me in real life the cupra isn't the best car to buy but definitely one of the most sensible if you're in the market for a affordable fast hatchback.

Last edited:

seatturbopower

Aug 1, 2012
birmingham
but to be honest, I own the mk1 cupra and even driving that in the wet, damp its crap anyway, it wont hold the power down or even drive well how you expect it .....all depends on what you want from a car.....?I mean I want it to do good miles per gallon?:blink: (you mean 4.5 litres :rofl: )

forge197

SE>FR>CUPRA
May 14, 2002
UK
Visit site
I'd expect a 2wd with 280hp to light up its tyres and more so in damp conditions, be a bit naive to think otherwise. Look forward to trying the car on a wet/damp track see how it does after playing at Millbrook, have no issue begin sympathetic with the throttle :). Went out the other day to just drive in the wet just to get a feel to see what it does and get more wet experience as don't use car everyday.

My other car has 400hp and 4wd so it would be dull to have two sure footed vehicles.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Been out with Jordi in the soaking wet while it was still p155ing it down at Mallory park and he didn't spin the tyres once! and still put in a fast lap.

Mine's REVO stage1 and I've been driving it in the wet last couple of weeks and had no major issues, I have come from a MK2 LCR Stage2+ though so used to big power FWD.

kmanmx

Jan 21, 2013
Been out with Jordi in the soaking wet while it was still p155ing it down at Mallory park and he didn't spin the tyres once! and still put in a fast lap.

Mine's REVO stage1 and I've been driving it in the wet last couple of weeks and had no major issues, I have come from a MK2 LCR Stage2+ though so used to big power FWD.

Going somewhat off topic, how well is the DSG gearbox supposed to cope with the Revo remap in the long run ?. I have no doubt it'll be fine for a couple months, it's 1..2..3 years down the line that I am more interested in.

Last edited:

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
It will be fine, we have seen Stage3-4 cars on the previous generation MK5/MK6 platform.

The worst outcome is that you will need uprated clutch packs for Stage3 onwards.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.