Trying my hand at arty photography (Cupra TDI content)

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
Dunno how successful there are but I'll let you lot be the judge of that...

Blackness Castle, on the River Forth, not far from Edinburgh. Last night looked like being a cracking sunset, so I set off from home but arrived at the location a bit late. Still fired off quite a few shots, with and without the car. Moved further up the road for a few more under artificial lighting just playing around with the camera. Here's the best of them, comments welcomed...

2007-08-08Blacknesssunsetpic2.jpg

2007-08-08Blacknesssunsetpic3.jpg

2007-08-08Blacknesspic3.jpg

2007-08-08Blacknesspic4-modified.jpg

2007-08-08Blacknesspic5-modified.jpg

2007-08-08Blacknesspic6-modified.jpg

2007-08-08Blacknesspic8-modified.jpg

2007-08-08Blacknesspic9-modified.jpg

2007-08-08Blacknesspic10.jpg

2007-08-08Blacknesspic11-modified.jpg

Ally

Joah

live fast die fun
Jan 29, 2007
really liking the 4th one down :) the lighting looks really good.

Also like the one of the front bumper, but could have wiped the dead flies from the front lol :D

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
Stunning :clap: you should get some of these pics in for the calendar. Really liking the nights shots overlooking the bay withe the beeza, especially the one with the house at the side :D very nice. You using a digital SLR or regular digital camera ?

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
I know :redface:

What's even worse is the state of the tyres/sills. I took the scenic route on the way down, came over a blind crest (probably a bit too fast), found the road ahead literally 2" deep covered in mud from a field entrance, for about 50metres. Well, the brakes are certainly good on the Cupra...

Shame about the state of my boxers after that though...:drive1:

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
Stunning :clap: you should get some of these pics in for the calendar. Really liking the nights shots overlooking the bay withe the beeza, especially the one with the house at the side :D very nice. You using a digital SLR or regular digital camera ?
Cheers.

Got myself my first DSLR in February but yet to play around with it properly - Canon EOS 350d - a basic, cheap DSLR but it's what you do with it that counts ;)

Calendar?

Chrisdaman

1 gearbox dead, any more?
Mar 21, 2007
Kingston
www.flickr.com
a tip, put the camera shutter speed on for a long time and you wont have to use a flash and the long exposure pics come up better

wicked pics though mate

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
a tip, put the camera shutter speed on for a long time and you wont have to use a flash and the long exposure pics come up better

wicked pics though mate

:redface: I know, but in the setting I was using the flash kept on triggering! I really need to have a look at the manual because I can't figure out how to turn the damn flash off properly (I resorted to covering the flash with my hand...). The first long exposure pic above had the flash covered.

I'd love to learn more about photography, but I coud see it becoming expensive :D

GreenGoddess: I only paid £280 for mine brand new including a 2GB card - was a special opening day offer at the local Jessops (although I had to queue from 6.45am to ensure I got one LOL). But you can pick up the same camera minus the card for about £350. Not bad when you consider what a decent compact "normal" digital camera will set you back.

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com

wicked pics though mate

Actually fill-in flash is the only way to achieve the effect in pics 9&10 although you need a much more powerful flash to do it right with a good difuser.

If you use a longer exposure to get the car right in a situation like that you'll end up with really over exposed skys. But if you use a long exposure and a flash off camera you can get the car exposed properly and get the skys with the same detail level. ;)

Also try shooting in RAW mode rather than jpg's if you really want to get great shots. You can correct some minor exposure problems then :)

Nice pics though, that sky is great.

Pete

PS You're right about the expensive bit. You can easily go on a spending spree when you get into photography. I went from a D70 + kit lens to a D2x with the pro glass... :headhurt:

Deleted member 13581

Great pictures Great location.

Im with Joah, the 4th picture is a beauty.

seli_babe

Don't Mess....
Nov 22, 2005
Bedfordshire
Love it mate.. that first pic is my fav... might nick that for myself if you don't mind.. you deffo got a good location and a good talent

Seli

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members