Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

explorer

Jul 8, 2016
OK... what equipment is needed to do it? You use JTAG or what?

I know you want C - I have SD card 5F0.919.866.F if that's any use.

Hi, now I dont need any card. My unit is working with standard 16GB class10 card as navi db. It was in time when I came across protection of the navi module so I started analysing it.I bought MIB1 without original card, but mib1 was paired with C card. I start this project before time when I want retrofit mib1 unit to old platform (before mqb) First I found exploit for access to file system and then too hours analysing. I dont use access via jtag. These unit have standard OS with build in own app layer.

Tell

Staff member
Tell You have already readed my new posts or you are only spammer? Please you dont quote my OLD messages. I found solution for MIB1 map cards as I wrote, I can pair any card with MIB1, I dont have MIB2. Its possible to pair standard sd or original sd.
Check the cid ;) All functions are working as before. I am adapting map card in clear way without touching vw base protection so still possible adapt new functions via vw. I dont touch component protection.

That post is two weeks ago or so. This thread as far as I can see is about offering free help not running a business proposition there have been plenty of attempts in the past with people trying to sell eBay cards on the thread some recent. Few work without paid installation. We know retrofit is possible so as to ditch Mapcare protection that comes at fancy prices since it's a cornered market.

There are a couple of dealers in the UK which offer retrofit at fancy prices, I think the hardware then gets shipped to east Europe whether you get your own unit back is open to question. I contacted one and they backed straight out of it giving me the Here Maps phone number which needless to say was pointless and obviously they knew it. The advert claimed they worked with Vag dealers in the UK.

That point arrived when I messed up the unit (higher up on the thread before I fixed it myself), the dealer wasn't making any progress, but I fixed via loading the correct software back into it the day before they were going to have a second look (Mib2 High) - I didn't have much confidence in them, they weren't software engineers but mechanics !. I sorted it out and the rest is history where I can update everything other than the NavDB file and told people how to do it for free. Mib1 High people can follow that route as far as I can see since the same vag upload is used and the hardware toggles the upload.

I suspect board rules might point any business proposition into a different direction. I know very old owners of Audi nav get their updates from a guy that has modded software, updates to the latest maps and puts it out as a torrent. They need to run old firmware thou. So if you had a free kit form software solution I'm sure people would be delighted.

Hopefully Seat UK will finally ditch Mapcare protection on new car so we dont have this crazy situation of people having to pay for updates as the VAG group has done across all other brands in the UK.

explorer

Jul 8, 2016
Yes but you have a Mib1 but not a working card ?. So you need another one.

As I can see free help from you in MIB1 is about nothing. You are responding to all messages with "universal responses". Do you think that this response from you is valued ???

I am not offering sd cards only help for anyone from this forum which is interrested .There is too much people with mib1 std. unit in car where was no real solution for their situation only buy new card from dealer which is knowing!! as pair new card via online services.

I can see only misunderstands on this thread about MIB1 and you guessed me about these misunderstads before time.

I cant publicate solution because solution is only for engineers with solder skills (there is high risk for bricking) and this project cost me too much free time so I cant make bussiness for someone if I publicate it!

And some CORRECT informations about !!!!!MIB1 std. unit!!!!!! (Not MIB1HIGH):

1. If someone have original navi SD card and this card is not working after updating from navigation.com - it is easy to fix it but data from similar card version (as before update) or another new/used YES used card will be work!! but this card must have !!SIMILAR!! version map DB as original!. Too new map card must have similar version as original othewise pairing process is needed. MIB1 std. doesnt have hdd/ssd so there is no card copy protection only map version protection. China fake card with regular CID will be work but only if sd map data version is similar as original card.

2. Without fw patch only card with regular cid (and regulat map version for non mapcare) can be used for MIB1 std. units

3. This logic is correct and work with latest FW version 0480!!

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
As you know I'm not giving a universal response but pointing people in the direction of the published solution on this thread that are free or giving them the software link if they have deleted the software for Mib1/2 by accident. Probably not what you want to hear if you want to make money out of people. You were trying tell me that Mib2 High wasn't protected by encryption when it was higher up on the thread as you have looked for a viable business model.

Personally I wouldn't dream of sending a unit to a complete stranger on the internet in a foreign country for a price who is trying to get some business out of it with no recommendations but perhaps others may be tempted. I think it was the firmware update that closed the door on the mib1 cards without mapcare which is why people found they were stuck. Your solution is the old Audi solution of downgrading the firmware in the mib1 unit. That solution was offered free.

Best of luck with your business proposition.

explorer

Jul 8, 2016
As you know I'm not giving a universal response but pointing people in the direction of the published solution on this thread that are free or giving them the software link if they have deleted the software for Mib1/2 by accident. Probably not what you want to hear if you want to make money out of people. You were trying tell me that Mib2 High wasn't protected by encryption when it was higher up on the thread as you have looked for a viable business model.

Personally I wouldn't dream of sending a unit to a complete stranger on the internet in a foreign country for a price who is trying to get some business out of it with no recommendations but perhaps others may be tempted. I think it was the firmware update that closed the door on the mib1 cards without mapcare which is why people found they were stuck. Your solution is the old Audi solution of downgrading the firmware in the mib1 unit. That solution was offered free.

Best of luck with your business proposition.

:) Please read my responses carefully. My way is upgrading firmware to newest one :) and then patching it ;) Old audi unit have another architecture but you can try to found solution for audi a3 8v if it is so easy . there is similar hw as in seat mib1 ;)

0480 is newest firmware for MIB1

and MIB1 have versioned and signed all map files, So its isnt possible only change one file from old card like MIB2.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
Only the Mib1 / 2 High map files use signed files, the SD ones don't which is why you can get away with swapping that file. Signed as in SH1. I told you that last week. Invite anyone to check. I checked it on Mib 1 and 2 SD map files no SH1 signature. I'll eat humble pie if you post up the line in one of the upload files where the signature is !.

explorer

Jul 8, 2016
Only the Mib1 / 2 High map files use signed files, the SD ones don't which is why you can get away with swapping that file. Signed as in SH1. I told you that last week. Invite anyone to check. I checked it on Mib 1 and 2 SD map files no SH1 signature. I'll eat humble pie if you post up the line in one of the upload files where the signature is !.

Aaaaah please help me someone. There is big difference between you and me you are only telling and I am working. Your knowledge of cryptographic is very poor. There is signature in all files as I wrote 100x :) I give you indition. Check
MapRegions folder in mib1 and on the end of the every file if you know what is the signature in binary format.
And mib1 map files are in psf format for sure :D

And please take a photo when you are eating humble pie :D :D

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
They are not SH1 script signatures thou which is what mib 1 and 2 high are protected with. Do you know what system is used which I preface with so I won't be eating humble pie.

As I mentioned these threads are suppose to about free support not running a business.... So what people are looking for are the details to do it themselves or pointed to a business address / website. I think most people have given up with Mib1. I salute the Mib2 standard people with the workaround given that Seat are happy to ship the car in some regions without Mapcare where the token one off cost of Mapcare of circa £100 people would pay that rather than have a system that is out of date with dealers demanding £150 for an update, even if they knew what they were doing. Mib2 standard people were happy to share and acted cooperatively which you can see in the thread. Obviously they were geo information system programmers who understood the file structure not encryption experts given that one found the copyright details for the file structure which also effectively explained why the workaround worked.

I will do my own incremental updates for the time being with the Mib2 High having found that solution myself.

explorer

Jul 8, 2016
They are not SH1 script signatures thou which is what mib 1 and 2 high are protected with. Do you know what system is used which I preface with so I won't be eating humble pie.

As I mentioned these threads are suppose to about free support not running a business.... So what people are looking for are the details to do it themselves or pointed to a business address / website. I think most people have given up with Mib1. I salute the Mib2 standard people with the workaround given that Seat are happy to ship the car in some regions without Mapcare where the token one off cost of Mapcare of circa £100 people would pay that rather than have a system that is out of date with dealers demanding £150 for an update, even if they knew what they were doing. Mib2 standard people were happy to share and acted cooperatively which you can see in the thread. Obviously they were geo information system programmers who understood the file structure not encryption experts given that one found the copyright details for the file structure which also effectively explained why the workaround worked.

I will do my own incremental updates for the time being with the Mib2 High having found that solution myself.

In mib1 map files is standard sha1 signature so your humble pie is still her. You wrote "there is no sha1 signature in mib1" but there IS.

Mib1/2 high have only another (text) representation of the signature.

I think you finally understood that mib1 map card is well protected.

epsilon

Dec 14, 2017
Hello from a newbie!
Couple of months back I placed an order for Leon FR 1.8TSI with 7DSG and DCC.
However I decided not to spend money on Nav system, but simply buy Full Link only.

At this point I feel stupid, cuz I would really like to have standalone navigation system.

Have anyone seen/heard a way to enable/modify via ODB/CAN the navigation functionality ?
From what I read the actual head unit is the same, the software should be the only difference.
Am I correct?

Cheers

explorer

Jul 8, 2016
Hello from a newbie!
However I decided not to spend money on Nav system, but simply buy Full Link only.

At this point I feel stupid, cuz I would really like to have standalone navigation system.

Have anyone seen/heard a way to enable/modify via ODB/CAN the navigation functionality ?
From what I read the actual head unit is the same, the software should be the only difference.
Am I correct?

Cheers

Hi, its a bit hard.

Do you have mib 1 or mib 2 unit? Full link is only in mib 2 but for sure.

I think that unit without gps have similar pcb but with unpopulated components for gps module. You could like to check if you have fakra connector (blue) for gps or no.

If there is fakra connector for gps so GPS menu option is possible to enabled via vcds or another tool via can but next problem is license.

If you activate navi option via vcds ->navi message with text "navigation function is not enabled" will be showed because you need FEC license.

License is generated on the VW server for specific VIN and file is signed by rsa private key. Private key not possible to found in public channels so only one possiblility is patched firmware or there is posiibele activate navigation via this trick http://www.factory-retrofits.co.uk/module-for-using-the-navigation-discover-pro/

epsilon

Dec 14, 2017
Awesome infromation!
Thanks so much.
I still have not received the car, as I wait for N1 conversion.
When I received I will update that.

By the way where should I post about wheel sizes and disk brakes size. I wonder what "winter" one should be able to fit.

Cheers

Tell

Staff member
Hello from a newbie!

Am I correct?

Cheers

For the Ateca they have the MEDIA SYSTEM PLUS and the two navigation systems NAVI SYSTEM and NAVI SYSTEM PLUS all with 8" screens. The Apple Play/ Android only is the media system only one. The build codes of the other two are ZN1 and ZN2. I guess the Media system electronic box only has a chunk of electronics missing off it rather than the navigation box not enabled.

SSP163 covers that pages 44/45.

First link

https://www.google.de/search?sclien......1c.1.64.tablet-gws..3.0.0....0.WY3tYtEw5CI

There are suppose to be over 20 different Vag units made whether the Media system plus is a suppressed navigation model is a mute point but given its Fec locked down and hassle around navigation better to change your order if you really want it if you can.

Technically if you can find the build code of the Media system plus you may be able to find more information on the box. Obviouly the nav aerial would not be fitted.

Breinholm

Dec 27, 2017
I have just ordered my new Leon and opted for the FR package (consisting of Full Link, Navigation, Full LED, Digital cockpit in Denmark). The car is not currently specced with MapCare, but for about 200 EUR I can get MapCare for 3 years.

I plan to keep the car more than 3 years.

It is my understanding you can update the maps using the method Notabenem described if you do not have Navigation System High with the harddrive.

Keeping that in mind, would it make sense to get MapCare? Does anybody know if getting MapCare for 3 years will limit my possibility of updating the maps myself afterwards?

Additionaly I asked the dealer how MapCare would be limited to 3 years. They informed me that it is done by the VIN. I still do not understand how that is possible.
The process seems to be that since the car was originally specced with MapCare, you can simply download the maps, put them on the SD card and reinsert the card in the car. How can this stop working after 3 years?

Tell

Staff member
Vag have always said three years but that's been waived on Skoda and I think VW now so I think the dealer is giving you the standard Mapcare description not the one that is actually done, least as I understand it. Assuming no changes to how they do things then even if the three years ran out then you still have the SD workaround. If they changed how they do things before you get the car then it wouldn't work. Personally I would buy Mapcare if I could for peace of mind.

As far as the SSD solution is concerned you can update three of the four file types, Eggnog, Truffles and Voice file (post 699). Truffles seems to contains the 3D relief buildings display since I'm seeing more than I did before. I think Eggnog may contain the built in POIs. Warnings before junctions also changed in the latest release making them more advanced. Next turns at 100 yards have more warning, it also advises in one mile on voice... I check it's 1.2 miles shown, use to concur. I suspect this is common to all SSD units on ECE 2018 not something I've introduced. Documentation on the SSD file types is a bit thin on the ground. Generally happy that the time and effort I put in, in the summer does provide a material change.

Last edited:

martijnb

Nov 5, 2017
Navigation database N/A

Dealer accidentally deleted everything due to component protection.
Everything has been put back by the dealer, except for the navigation database.
The dealer can not manage the navigation database.
I get the error message: navigation database N / A

Tell

Staff member

I have read that once component protection is removed it disables navigation until it's re-enabled using VW central system that they are connected too, so they will have to speak to central technical support to see what they need to do... least that's what I think, may be put component protection back on to get it back.

explorer

Jul 8, 2016

If fec licence for navigation databse is deleted so only 2 solutions:
1. As 'tell' wrote
2. Buy new map card and dealer can pair it with your car.

martijnb

Nov 5, 2017
1. If I understand correctly, navi is disabled when removing comp.protection.
Navi is switched on again by connection with VW central system.
This has tried dealer but has failed. Or did they do something wrong?
Can the original v2 card also be enabled? I do not have a CD case here anymore.

2. I have been to the dealer with a new original card.
They tried to link them, but they did not succeed either.
Or did the dealer do wrong?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
1. If I understand correctly, navi is disabled when removing comp.protection.
Navi is switched on again by connection with VW central system.
This has tried dealer but has failed. Or did they do something wrong?
Can the original v2 card also be enabled? I do not have a CD case here anymore.

2. I have been to the dealer with a new original card.
They tried to link them, but they did not succeed either.
Or did the dealer do wrong?

The dealer would need to order a map update card for your year of car - not just a new card.
The update kit arrives with a code that needs activating via the online dealer system.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.