Urgent Help! - Removing Engine Cover

fyfe9

Lurker
Jan 30, 2007
Aberdeen
Guys I'm trying to install a Pipercross panel and can't get the enginer cover off. I've searched the forums but nothing specific to my problem.

I've unclipped everything except this clip: http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/fyfe9/?action=view&current=09122009043.jpg

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/fyfe9/09122009044.jpg

It's just not moving, it looks like i have to push the two parts together to loosen it but really not shifting. Am I doing something wrong? Am I meant to move the ribbed pipe from the air intake box before moving the clip?

Photo quality pish I know, if anyone can answer ASAP I'd like to get this done tonight.

Cheers much, Paul.

fyfe9

Lurker
Jan 30, 2007
Aberdeen
Got the clip off!! Now just can't get the enginer cover off. It's on tight, thought I heard it snap when I pulled the front of the cover.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Spider legs plyers. I am an expert on doing this :D

fyfe9

Lurker
Jan 30, 2007
Aberdeen
Cheers guys, I gave up cos it was 10 and didn't want to make too much noise with anymore swearing!

That cover is just not moving, I undid all the clips shown in the picture that Zboyd(?) posted in another thread. I'll try again tomorrow.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Cheers guys, I gave up cos it was 10 and didn't want to make too much noise with anymore swearing!

That cover is just not moving, I undid all the clips shown in the picture that Zboyd(?) posted in another thread. I'll try again tomorrow.

I could get it off in 15 seconds mate if you need a hand.

It really is a matter of giving it a tug on all 4 corners. It won't snap, the mounts are on the engine itself and the cover has a tight rubber bung that fits snug onto them. Those mounts are very very sturdy indeed, your back will go before they do!!!!

Also the hardest part for me was getting the spring clips off the inlet... it was f**king nightmare when I did it with some standard pliers trying to squeeze the clips (like the one you show on your pic) its access that is a nightmare for big hands and wrong tools! I couldn't move my hand for days and was cut to shreds. I also lost my voice from the many swear words being screamed at the time.

Good luck matey :)

Last edited:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
It really is a matter of giving it a tug on all 4 corners. It won't snap, the mounts are on the engine itself and the cover has a tight rubber bung that fits snug onto them. Those mounts are very very sturdy indeed, your back will go before they do!!!!

:yes:

However the engine cover breaks if you pull it at the weakest point (front of the engine)

Last edited:

fyfe9

Lurker
Jan 30, 2007
Aberdeen
Cheers for all your input guys!! Sorry I was getting so frustrated last night I couldn't bear to go on the forum, instead got a couple of beers and cried myself to sleep.

I could get it off in 15 seconds mate if you need a hand.

I might call you up on that offer horace! :happy: It would probably be Sunday or next week I'd be able to try again as I'm busy the next couple nights.

Also the hardest part for me was getting the spring clips off the inlet... it was f**king nightmare when I did it with some standard pliers trying to squeeze the clips (like the one you show on your pic) its access that is a nightmare for big hands and wrong tools! I couldn't move my hand for days and was cut to shreds. I also lost my voice from the many swear words being screamed at the time.

Good luck matey :)

True that, could feel my back going. At one point I had my knee up on the bonnet locking mechanism trying to get leverage.

The hardest bit for me was that bloody clip too, well, that and not getting the cover off! I've left the clip off for now but check to make sure the ribbed pipe hasn't slipped prior to any journey I make until I get it back on. I've got no proper tools either (PH screwdriver, flathead screwdriver, wrench, brush).

I just wish I adopted the method in the link pseudo post, thanks for those btw. Now I've got to put the clip back on :cry:

When I mentioned the spring clip I ment the one on the turbo (but I just realised you don't have to do this you're justing fitting the filter, I was fitting a full CAI)

For the one you're talking about I did just ram a flathead screwdriver to lever the clip off cause the plastic tube had some give.

If I were you I would just replace the spring clip you've taken off with a jubilee clip! So much easier for future access. (they do the job great, my intake system uses about 4 of them!) Obviously keep the original spring clip incase you need to go into a SEAT.

** have you removed the smooth hard plastic hose to the back left of the engine cover (2 clip fasteners)??***

fyfe9

Lurker
Jan 30, 2007
Aberdeen
** have you removed the smooth hard plastic hose to the back left of the engine cover (2 clip fasteners)??***

Are you refering to the hose that runs from front of the engine round the left hand side and into the 90 degree elbow which is to the left of the MAF? If that's the one you're talking about then no I didn't.

I opened the 2 plastic fasteners (left side of engine), the 2 metal clasps behind the MAF, the MAF itself and the clip I showed in my pics. I think it's purely a case of pulling it off after that. Since I don't know my way around an engine I was a bit scared of braking it :(

As a matter of interest, when you start pulling off the engine cover with force do you risk doing any damage to anything engine wise?

This is the best guide i could find:

Look at the photo's that shows these 'prongs' that stick up. these insert into the engine cover when fitted and need pulling out to remove. I imagine anything could break if when pulling up it gets caught. Or you use your knee for leverage near the lock mech, cause that bit is weak plastic.

Just pull and jiggle, gradually increasing the strength. once one goes you'll get an idea of how to do the others. It does take a lot of trial and error. I was also bricking it thinking any minute now.. CRACK. But all was fine.