VAG PDF of how the PD system works

craig-pd130

May 7, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
I got an official VAG PDF of how the PD system works (60+ pages with pretty pictures) from a link on Briskoda, if anyone wants a copy (or if anyone wants to host it for downloading) please PM me with your email addy.

All sorts of good stuff in it, for example the glow plugs continue to preheat long after the warning light has gone out, and keep preheating below 2500rpm and until the coolant temp reaches a preset limit .... :whistle:

micky 32

Oct 30, 2003
Longford, Ireland
Visit site
Reading regarding the glow plug system, it says that after the engine starts they come on for 4 mins regardless if they came on to preheat or not, so does this mean they do this when engine is hot does anyone know?

craig-pd130

May 7, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
Everyone who's PM'd me should have it by now -- let me know if not. :)

I would post a link but have no webspace, and can't remember where I got it from!

If anyone can host it, they are welcome :)

Last edited:

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
Don't suppose you have a Skoda Superb service manual stashed away anywhere as well do you? I've got a mate who reckons I'll never be able to find one on anywhere...

craig-pd130

May 7, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
Sorry, I just got lucky with this PDF :)

Someone over at Briskoda may have an idea ... also there is now a Haynes for the 2001 - 2005 Passat (covering the PD diesels and petrol models) which is basically the same car.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Indeed, I bought the Haynes manual for my Passat.

Useful but I don't feel as good as they were years ago.
For example - it doesn't even have a diagram of the front suspension components, how rubbish is that ! As the suspension is a tad more complex than the nice'n'simple MacPherson struts on the Ibiza, it's the one diagram I wanted to see.

sssstew

Editing your spelling
craig-pd130 said:
Everyone who's PM'd me should have it by now -- let me know if not. :)

I would post a link but have no webspace, and can't remember where I got it from!

If anyone can host it, they are welcome :)

thanks for sending it craig :)

im in the process of sorting out the TDI FAQ for the main site so will include it in there, then it will be hosted too. wont be straight away though as its a big job.

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
craig-pd130 said:
Someone over at Briskoda may have an idea ... also there is now a Haynes for the 2001 - 2005 Passat (covering the PD diesels and petrol models) which is basically the same car.

does it contain also info on the non pd???

ps, many thx for the mail!!!

craig-pd130

May 7, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
@Carlo -- no, the NEW Haynes manual is PD diesels only.

@Micky32, I reckon it will only do the ''afterglow'' when the coolant is BELOW a certain temperature, I wouldn't have thought it would do it after every start, hot or cold. Also I think it says "up to 4 minutes", which implies it depends on temperature .... but I'm no VAG engineer ;)

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Also interesting to read that the extra coolant heaters (where fitted, I think I have them on my Passat) come on depending on the alternator load, IE if the alternator is already heavily loaded, not all of the heaters are switched on.
So maybe when I get in on a cold day and whack the heated seats on full, it might mean the engine takes longer to warm up...:think:

craig-pd130

May 7, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
Complicated little buggers these PDs, eh? ;):D

I was interested to see that the electric circulation pump for the fuel coolant circuit switches on at a fuel temp of 70C.

So if you have a resistor mod box, I suppose that means the pump is working all the time and fuel is being super-cooled, 'cos the ECU THINKS the fuel is stinking hot?

So if you have a remapped motor, it might be worth finding out what value resistor equals, say, 75C, then you'd have cool fuel all the time?

Last edited:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Depends on the car Craig, for example the Mk4 Ibizas don't have a separate coolant circuit for fuel cooling - they just pass the fuel through a large heatsink under the driver's footwell...