Various faults with my Mk5

Citrus

Hi all,

Apologies for my first post being about the problems that I've experienced with my Mk5!

I've been monitoring the site for a little while and seen a few threads regarding problems so wanted to share mine and get some advice really.

I have a 1.6 TDi, and these are the problems I'm currently experiencing:
A severe pull to the left, have had a 4 wheel alignment 3 times now and all fine so potential problem with the power steering?
All pedals have recently started to vibrate, I'd say in the last two months? Getting quite severe vibration from the accelerator when above 40mph
My brakes are grinding, I've seen some posts on this so I know this is a common issue, just wondering if anyone has had this issue resolved? It's been back to the garage 3 times about this, still no resolution.

Many thanks in advance :)

Quadrablast

Mar 24, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Hi all,

Apologies for my first post being about the problems that I've experienced with my Mk5!

I've been monitoring the site for a little while and seen a few threads regarding problems so wanted to share mine and get some advice really.

I have a 1.6 TDi, and these are the problems I'm currently experiencing:
A severe pull to the left, have had a 4 wheel alignment 3 times now and all fine so potential problem with the power steering?
All pedals have recently started to vibrate, I'd say in the last two months? Getting quite severe vibration from the accelerator when above 40mph
My brakes are grinding, I've seen some posts on this so I know this is a common issue, just wondering if anyone has had this issue resolved? It's been back to the garage 3 times about this, still no resolution.

Many thanks in advance :)

1. The pull to the left: It might also be the differential, check it up on an authorized garage.
2. Vibrating pedals: Gee, doesn´t all dieselcars vibrate? Hehe, can´t help you with that.
3. Brakes: If you still have got the warranty i would tell the dealer one more time to check it up. It can also be some small pebbles being stuck between the disc and the shield. Had that problem on my Skoda Octavia (works car) several times. On my volvo, i changed the pads to ceramic ones and it helped.

If i were you i would go back to the delar/authorized workshop and tell them to fix the problems. The brakes might sound anyway but the steeringissue is potentially dangerous so..

Citrus

Thank you for your helpful response :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Quadrablast

Mar 24, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
I´m not really sure what kind of rules and laws you have in the UK but here in Sweden they´ll repair the thing 3 times, then you get a new if it´s still a problem.. Not a brand new car of course but you know, maybe new brakes and so... Well, call SEAT UK and explain the problems you´re having with your car. I´m sure they´ll help you out, otherwise it´s not a very good commercial for them with unsatisfied customers..

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
Thank you for your helpful response :) unfortunately my dealership are now refusing to look at the brakes and more worringly, the steering issue until I speak to Seat UK, and they'll only look at it again if Seat UK say so because they've looked at it 3 times :(

Phone Seat UK and say you would like to escalate your problem to a complaint. That way Seat UK will be forced to liaise with the dealer. For problems like this Seat UK can send a guy to the garage to inspect the car.

FR_Rob

Is In Love with Power!
Mar 13, 2010
Warwickshire
Thank you for your helpful response :)

i did a lot of research into the whole rights thing as my girlfriend had a focus cc which they couldn't stop leaking.

under the sales of goods act if the vehicle isn't as it should be and they are unable to fix it you'd be entitled to a new car if its still relatively new? If the car's on pcp it's the finance company you need to officially complain to as the own the car.

If you phone trading standards 01619123845 they'll explain in more detail and tell you wat to write and how to word it.

It's not easy though and you may have to go to court but it's like a 99% chance you'll win.

Hope this helps

Citrus

Wow thank you for all your help guys.

Without giving too much info away in case it affects my case, but I'm escalating it now so I have my fingers crossed the faults will be resolved. It's only 6 months old and has been in 9 times :(

I'm keen to know if anyone else has had the steering problem

garethrobson

FR LOVER
Jun 10, 2009
County Durham
my steering pulls to the left quite a lot. I was going to get it aligned but im getting my new FR soon so i didnt bother. Maybe the same problem?

Give consumer direct a ring and see what they have to say. When i had problems with my ibiza i spoke to them and basically they said to:

"make sure you have reported all problems to your original dealer."
"issue them a REASONABLE timescale to fix the car"
"they cant REFUSE to fix a problem"
"let us know if they dont resolve the issue soon and we will let you know the next thing you need to do"

i didnt get to that stage because when i gave the garage a timescale of 2 weeks, they sorted it within 3 days :p

good luck!

KathW26

I have the 1.6 tdi cr sport as well and mine was pulling to the left, I also had problems getting it into 5th gear and then it was really stiff to pull out of 5th to change back down....whenever I did change into 5th the car would shake and lose power....there was also a massive mark on the boot where it looked like they had removed a sticker and it had left a mark on it....

When i took it to the dealer and complained about it pulling to the left they checked the tyre pressures etc and said it was fine and that they had tried it on several different roads and that the majority of the time it was fine but when there were imperfections in the road it would follow them and they said that this was because it has 17" inch wheels however my car only has 16" - it still pulls to the side but not all the time generally it's ok....

But i have noticed that when i put the car into reverse my heaters/blowers on the climate control go on full blow and stops you hearing the parking sensors etc. Anyone else have this problem???

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
Not that I know of, though the dealer might be able to do something to help. If you can't really hear them bacause of the fans then there must be something wrong, so the dealer should be able to fix it for free. Then again they might fob you off and say theres nothing wrong.

Hard to tell without comparing your car to another.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.