VCDS Cable + software

oggydoodaa

Dec 13, 2015
Basingstoke
Looking at getting a VCDS Cable and software for my 2001 LC but looking at prices a little out of my range . Wandering if there's anywhere reliable to get a cheaper one as I have a door lock issue that's causing my immobilizer to sometimes activate and prevent my car running. I would also like it to do "VCDS mods" like US sidelights and some convenience alterations. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
Cost me £10 getting VCDS working on mine. If you have a Windows laptop all you need is a cheap cable. You can download VCDS Lite for free, that can read codes & even activate cruise control. I then download a hacked full version and change my TDI fuel pump timing.

Not sure you can do which with the immobiliser through it tho.

If you don’t have a laptop, there are Bluetooth readers that connect to your phone. But I don’t know much about them.

oggydoodaa

Dec 13, 2015
Basingstoke
I have 2 laptops I could use, but I'm looking at cables and software, Ross tech are selling at £100+, I need the full software as I need to read my door mechanisms to see which ones are dead, Ross tech ones are obviously quite expensive, that said I've found a cable and software for £80 from Vag-Diagnostics. Just wandered if anyone has any opinions

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
I have 2 laptops I could use, but I'm looking at cables and software, Ross tech are selling at £100+, I need the full software as I need to read my door mechanisms to see which ones are dead, Ross tech ones are obviously quite expensive, that said I've found a cable and software for £80 from Vag-Diagnostics. Just wandered if anyone has any opinions

Ive been led to believe that VCDS lite can see door lock modules, but i'd get a second opinion on that first. Only reason i havnt checked is i use a macbook and its a massive PITA to get it set up.

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
You can do a reasonable amount with the free version of VCDS lite and since the cables are less than £10 these days maybe worth a go.

Plus if you don't mind using a torrent to get the full version of VCDS lite. It'll work with the same cable cheap cable, which I used it to sort my fuel pump timing.

Reactions: Connor H

oggydoodaa

Dec 13, 2015
Basingstoke
Well it's official now, I decided to bite the bullet and buy the Ross tech obd and software (after much debating with the missus) thank you all for your advice and help it was much appreciated. Let's hope I can get this working for me and start diagnosing immobilizer issues and door locks.

Reactions: mty12345

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
You're welcome.

There's videos on YouTube showing how to setup the software and connect to the car. There's some interesting stuff to look at with it. But to be honest I've only used my a hand full of times and normally only when I'm trying to sort out a problem.

Have fun

Reactions: oggydoodaa
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members