Very poor Cupra TDi consumption?

Hey folks!

So im a week into my Cupra TDi ownership, coming from FOUR Petrol Cupras beforehand (2 mk3's & 2 mk4's) it was a new experience, but I wanted to save on trips to the petrol station due to new work location...

Anyway, filled up with £50 worth, and it is now on a quarter, having done 290 miles.

To me, thats poor, as I could pretty much nearly get that on my 1.8 20VT, so surely somethings not right there?

I have been driving like a granny as well! Seeing 45-52mpg on most trips so far.

I've noticed it idles high, on startup it sits at 1300rpm and when I stop at junctions etc it is idling at 1100-1300rpm which does seem high, makes it louder too...

Any ideas? (no fault codes show in VAG-COM) it has a tiny amount of warranty left (im taking it tommorow for them to quickly look at why the clutch sound noisier when the pedal is pressed in...)

Or was I being deluded in thinking i'd get 450-500 miles from a tank?

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
My TDI idles at around 900rpm. I get roughly 400 miles to a tank...that's mostly town/A road driving mixed with a bit of motorway.

TazB

Xbox Gamer Tag = TazCupra
Mar 23, 2007
Glasgow
what kinda journeys you doing?

stop start or constant speed ?

i can get 500miles for a motorway journey or 300miles from my 5mile city driving journey to work

Kinda mixed driving, admitedly most of the journey to work is on a motorway, with some village driving, but stop start on motorway due to excessive roadworks at the moment.
It's about 20 mile single way trip to work.

So not the longest of journeys, but like I say, even in the stop start, I wanted to notice a difference from my petrol cupra... I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now, and see if a couple of full tanks settle it down, but the high idling still concerns...

jonboy1066

Feb 28, 2010
Hey folks!

I've noticed it idles high, on startup it sits at 1300rpm and when I stop at junctions etc it is idling at 1100-1300rpm which does seem high, makes it louder too...

Any ideas?

I picked up my MK4 Ibiza FR just over 4 weeks ago, and I had a high idle (Between 1300 & 1500 Revs)...at first I put it down to cold weather (-4 at the time)....then I looked around on here and some people who had had simillar idle speeds said it was to do with low battery charge, which made sense as it'd been on the forecourt for a while.

Then after 3 days of ownership I had to do a long journey of 300 miles yet it was still idling high which lead me to believe it could be neither of the above reasons so I just placed my toe under the pedal and lifted it up......the idle then returned to 900RPM's but only temporarily, as soon as I accelerated again it would idle high again.

I took the car back to the dealers and they plugged it in......turned out that there was a problem with the accelerator sticking (something to do with fly-by-wire) so they had it in a few days later fitted a new throttle pedal and hey presto, I'm now idling at 900RPM's all the time.

Give that a whirl.

After just over 4 weeks of owning it, I've only filled it up twice, it had 3/4's of a tank when I bought it and it's now done 1400 miles in my hands.

Last edited:
Hey Jon, interesting point there...

Funnily enough VAG COM picked up a battery fault code, but again, that was due to the car sitting at the dealers for a while before I bought it.

Im going to SEAT tommorow so will mention it to them there.

Did you notice less consumption since they fixed that mate?

jonboy1066

Feb 28, 2010
Hey Jon, interesting point there...

Thanks

Did you notice less consumption since they fixed that mate?

To be perfectly honest I was so blinded by new toy syndrome (first new car for 10 years and quickest car I've ever owned while being the best car on fuel I'd ever owned and nicest car I've ever owned) that I didn't really double check the consumption, and with the car being sold to me with 3/4 tank of fuel I had no real base to check the MPG figures with maths vs the trip computer before I had it in and they repaired it.

Try just lifting the accelerator pedal with your toe if it idles fast when you start it in the morning...if that slows the idle down it's the same problem as I had (something to do with a resistor sticking) which is a quick fix and should be sorted by the dealer.

Last edited:
Hi Jon! Thanks for your post yesterday, because guess what, you were spot on!

First thing I did this morning, started it up, high idle, put my foot behind the accelerator, brought the pedal out, back to normal idle...

Ironically it's gotten worse too, as stopping today to let cars pass etc, idling shot right up to 1300rpm.

Took it to SEAT, the tech had a look and said its a whole pedal swap, like you mentioned you had done.

It's booked in for Monday so fingers crossed they can sort it, although i'd imagine the part needs ordering so will probably have to wait for ages lol

But thanks again mate, spot on advice there!!! Also getting them to look at the clutch as it makes a rattling noise when the pedal is pressed...Tech said possibly bearing, even though its only done 20k it still happens he said so i'll let them do the warranty work!

Thanks again :eek:)

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire

First thing I did this morning, started it up, high idle, put my foot behind the accelerator, brought the pedal out, back to normal idle...

Ironically it's gotten worse too, as stopping today to let cars pass etc, idling shot right up to 1300rpm.

Took it to SEAT, the tech had a look and said its a whole pedal swap, like you mentioned you had done.

It's booked in for Monday so fingers crossed they can sort it, although i'd imagine the part needs ordering so will probably have to wait for ages lol

But thanks again mate, spot on advice there!!! Also getting them to look at the clutch as it makes a rattling noise when the pedal is pressed...Tech said possibly bearing, even though its only done 20k it still happens he said so i'll let them do the warranty work!

Wait till they hand you the bill....

kylubricatingjelly.jpg

jonboy1066

Feb 28, 2010

Brilliant, glad I could help...strange that my FR was on 20,800 miles when I bought it too.

Wanos

I've worked out that if the tank is 40 litres and the Cupra is meant to do an average of 51mpg(so i've been told off the dealer) then it should do 446 miles on a tank. Is it a 40lt tank?

More than 40litres im sure... I put 42 litres in last week and it wasn't fully empty prior to that.

In terms of the thread update, SEAT called to let me know the throttle pedal is being replaced (to fix the idle issue) and a new clutch release bearing.

I put some millers additive in it on Friday night after filling up, but the car's been at SEAT since Sunday so can't say i've seen any difference yet lol

Oh, a tip for that, don't put it in the car after, I spilt some in the back carpet as the bottle lid leaked and the car stinks of millers additive now, it's really bad!