Very poor Cupra TDi consumption?

Poochy

Ooo my...
Dec 4, 2007
Cardiff
Having the exact same problem....even had it idle as high as 1,500rpm at one point.. so I took it to the garage yesterday and they couldn't find a fault on the computer/codes.. nor did it happen with them driving it.

I drove it home yesterday and today and its happened again.. so taking it back tomorrow.. I've found out it mainly happens when relying on the clutch to take off/reverse.

So I'm assuming a pedal swap is the only fix?

Last edited:

Poochy

Ooo my...
Dec 4, 2007
Cardiff
Poochy> Did you try the foot behind the accelerator pedal trick? If it made it go back to normal, then it's definately a pedal swap mate.

I did, pulling the pedal back fixes it every single time. Its just every time I take it to the garage it never happens and never comes up on the computer as a fault.

I've explained all of the problem, how I fix it temporarly, your post and how to fix it. But the technician at present, stated he didn't want to do that just incase its not that (note. Car is under warranty).

I've stated to the technician next time it happens, I'll video record it as proof, which he agreed would be suitable evidence.

Did you confirm that it was affecting your mpg?

Nov 10, 2004
Colchester, Essex
I'd love to confirm it fella, but they still have my car lol, when I get it back, i'll see if they give me a receipt of work done, then i'll let you know what they call the part etc.

Do NOT take no for an answer from them, it's a known fault, the technician there said he'd done them before (didn't mention if it was a Cupra\FR specific fault either so I reckon it's common on all models)

But this would definately affect mpg, if you imagine your driving along, but the revs are helping themselves up a little more than they should etc!

Poochy

Ooo my...
Dec 4, 2007
Cardiff
I'd love to confirm it fella, but they still have my car lol, when I get it back, i'll see if they give me a receipt of work done, then i'll let you know what they call the part etc.

Do NOT take no for an answer from them, it's a known fault, the technician there said he'd done them before (didn't mention if it was a Cupra\FR specific fault either so I reckon it's common on all models)

But this would definately affect mpg, if you imagine your driving along, but the revs are helping themselves up a little more than they should etc!

Oh right lol, that would be very helpful if you could let me know what part it is :funk:

Known fault? ..interesting..:think:

Yeah I thought it would affect the mpg for the exact same reason.

Nov 10, 2004
Colchester, Essex
I would have had the car back today, but miraculously they ordered the wrong part twice, clearly only something a SEAT dealer could do!
Will keep you updated though dude :)

jonboy1066

Feb 28, 2010
I've been away decorating for a few days and my PC's been unplugged so not been able to follow this thread.

I certainly looks like Poochy's having the early stages of the same problem we had. Out of interest Poochy, what model is your Ibiza and how many miles does it have on it?

I'm pretty shocked that they've had your car for so long though Seany. I guess I'm lucky that Bartletts in Hastings have been so good, they waited till they had the part, then called to arrange a day to fix it, the car was in, fixed and out the same day.

Nov 10, 2004
Colchester, Essex
Hey folks,

To be fair to them, my warranty expired on Tuesday, and I only brought it in for them to see last Friday PM, so they literally had to just put my car in and order parts as such after, the pedal didn't seem to take long, but they replaced my clutch as well lol, that seemed to be the one that took the time to get the right part, fair play to them, they stuck to their word and it was all covered under the warranty, new clutch and accelerator pedal, few extra miles on my car too but im not complaining as im sure they probably had to give it a good road test after a new clutch was fitted.

mgrays

Dec 9, 2006
Aberdeen
Shorter ratio gearbox, i doubt anyone with a cupra tdi would get anywhere near that tbh.

Yup.. shorter gears, wilder camshaft, turbo running more off boost so less efficent, wider tyres and body bits... all go to make an Cupra tdi far worse.. 44mpg est compared to an FR which is far nearer the standard 1.9tdi and so can get low 50's without trying too hard (which I have got out of the Cupra on the dash estimator.. so 48-49mpg real world while commuting 20 miles on a 50-65 mph dual carriageway with lots of lorries to draught you along..)

Nov 10, 2004
Colchester, Essex
Indeed it was, mine was 2007 on about 20,800ish on a 1.9Tdi Cupra.

In terms of mpg, since the pedal was fixed I haven't really noticed any increase.

A longish drive last night at a constant speed of 'around 70' was 44mpg in 6th gear.

Gonna change the oil tommorow, bought some Quantum Platinum and a genuine filter.

Last change was at 15,500 according to the service book, so every 5k seems good to me to change it! I know it can be done every 10k but 5k is good for me as I do a lot of stop start journeys as well.

Nov 10, 2004
Colchester, Essex
I was wrong, it just took some getting used to that's all...

I am getting 385 miles to a tank, and thats with me not leaving it til empty, more like 1/2 way between 0 and 1/4. So would probably get 400 quite easy if I wanted too.

Anyway, that's on work commutes etc, which is not exactly long distances, so clearly on a long journey i'd be getting more...

Actually very impressed now! Definately loving the Tdi! :D

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
I was wrong, it just took some getting used to that's all...

I am getting 385 miles to a tank, and thats with me not leaving it til empty, more like 1/2 way between 0 and 1/4. So would probably get 400 quite easy if I wanted too.

Anyway, that's on work commutes etc, which is not exactly long distances, so clearly on a long journey i'd be getting more...

Actually very impressed now! Definately loving the Tdi! :D

There is definitely a trick to good mpg, really have to change up before the boost kicks in yo.

PH1L NI

Agnew SEAT
Jan 6, 2009
Northern Ireland
www.modmedia.co.uk
Very good point about the sticky pedal, mine did this too. Had to put my foot under it and pull it out.. did this for 2-3 weeks and the problem went away 20k miles later and its never happened again!

For reference I get 380 Miles to a tank on a remapped (figures under my name) 100PD lol. The only time it's not driven flat out everywhere though is until it heats up and 2/3 minutes before my journey ends :) lol. So that might have something to do with it.

boomhauwer

1.4 TDI Turbomotive :D
Feb 21, 2009
Belgium
I've worked out that if the tank is 40 litres and the Cupra is meant to do an average of 51mpg(so i've been told off the dealer) then it should do 446 miles on a tank. Is it a 40lt tank?

akk ibiza have a 45liter tank according to the manual, but i've managed to put 49 in:D

Nov 10, 2004
Colchester, Essex
I put 40l in yesterday, and it was almost empty, can't see how i'd get another 5 in there ( I even vented the tank a bit too) but then it's probably more the gauge not being accurate!

Poochy

Ooo my...
Dec 4, 2007
Cardiff
Last time I filled up, I got 39ish in (after doing 380miles) and I had 10 miles left. But I have previously run it to 0 on the clock which is then in the reserve. So unless you run it on 0 for a while, I don't think (unless you vent), you will be able to fill up 45ltrs (as there should already be around 5ltrs in there).

If that makes sense..lol

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.