W8 Passat Interior Light Installation

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
I'm wondering why you need to trail a wire down the A pillar to the blue and white wire behind the light switch when my interior light already has an auto dimming function as standard?

the dimmer wire is not to auto dim the light. it is to power the ambient lighting. if conected to the interior light dimmer when you dim the lights it will dim the ambient lighting aswell. it also means the ambient light only comes on when you have your sidelights on

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
Thanks for the info. So I take it the blue and white wire isn't actually a dimmer wire, it gives 12v when the side lights are on?

st10587

Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
Thanks for the info. So I take it the blue and white wire isn't actually a dimmer wire, it gives 12v when the side lights are on?

thats correct. but when you dim the interior lights using the roll switch it dims the red ambient lighting aswell!;)

Red Panda

Apr 18, 2010
Not telling
I've just today fitted a W8 to my '05 Ibiza FR Tdi and I didn't find it easy at all. Next to the light in the roof in my car is the interior sensor unit for the alarm and it certainly got in the way! :) I ended up shaving of loads off the rear left hand side of the W8 and a bit of the casing for the sensor too.

Not having done one before I found the wiring an absolute doddle compared to fitting the bloomin thing in the roof liner. Still I've now made it into the 'I've Got a W8 Light in My Car' Club :D

On a point of note though, my having a centre sun visor does hold the lining and W8 better. BTW, I'm not keen on the fact the W8 is only held in by two clips at the front and rests on a near flimsy piece of plastic at the back. I'd certainly have preferred screws for sure :)

I'm typing this after going for a drive at night to see what I thought of the W8 - my partner thought it stylish...I'm not convinced yet but think I'll grow to like it. The W8's W5W bulbs feel like 100w at night [B)]

I certainly doff my cap to anyone who comes up smiling after fitting one of these to a high standard in a short period of time... it took me hours to do!:headhurt:

Last edited:

jamie8954

Diesel FTMFW
Jun 29, 2008
UK
just tried fittin mine and it keeps falling down due to the alarm sensor

is everybody just chopping the w8 light connecter to bits to make it fit ?

st10587

Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
just tried fittin mine and it keeps falling down due to the alarm sensor

is everybody just chopping the w8 light connecter to bits to make it fit ?

you wont get it in if you are using the plug on the light. you will have to solder the connectors to the pins on the light and also cut the cage off roud the pins

see here

100_2765.jpg

Red Panda

Apr 18, 2010
Not telling
They're sold separately on eBay. Two sellers at the moment; this one is the cheapest:
http://tinyurl.com/6x2m9vy

Then the light either from VW, or there's sellers on eBay again. Part cost is probably around £45 (non-sunroof).
I made my own wiring loom which once I'd got all the bits was pretty easy. But, being totally honest I think I'd buy one made up in future as for all the time I spent messing about ordering connectors, driving to the dealer to collect, wiring the connectors etc it worked out about the same in real cost. Plus one VW dealer wouldn't order one of the connectors unless I bulk bought 5 of them...ahem like I'm going to do that!

I didn't know before speaking with a VW parts guy that extra fitted wiring should be yellow (I don't know why) - Here's another W8 loom on ebay (yellow one)

I know it was my very lucky day but I got my brand new boxed W8 light for 99p on ebay - no one bid on it but me...so happy days.

P.S. Getting the damn W8 to fit alongside my alarm sensor unit was a complete ball ache...I found doing the wiring loom was very very easy in comparison. BTW a centre sun visor helps keep the W8 secured.

Last edited:

Red Panda

Apr 18, 2010
Not telling
Just to double check that loom will work for a Mk4 Seat Ibiza?
Yes, I'd say so. The connector with three leads going into it is what you connect the existing interior light connector into. The more complex connector is what goes into the W8.

The single lead which comes out of the more complex connector needs to be fed from the interior light round the edge of the top left side of the roof lining and down the front pillar and behind the fuse box. You then need to connect/solder it to one of the the main light switch leads so the W8 is then on the dimming circuit.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise