Warning Tesco diesel not good

Birdy

Nov 30, 2006
Manchester (astley)
I was running low on diesel the other night so i poped into my local tesco filled my FR to the brim, drove for about 1.5 miles and the engine managment light came on, next the car started to splutter and then would not rev over 3000 rpm but was not in limp mode. I carried on and the car was not running right.

The next day i had to drive to derby from manchester still had the engine managment light on but seemed to be running ok the light went off after about 50 miles, the light has just come back from derby and it has started to splutter again so i filled it up with shell and all is ok now.

note to myself 'Stay clear of cheap diesel from tesco'

the old man

Jun 20, 2007
I discovered supermarket fuel problems with my last car and always avoid them.
I found that with shell diesel I also get about 10% better fuel consumption than with supermarket fuel.
I have also tried their super grade V Power and found little difference in consumption, the car seemed slightly livelier but it wasnt very noticeable.

With the problems you described their might have been a little water in the fuel (created by condensation in storage tanks etc and if they are low) might be worth checking fuel filter and I think there is a water trap in the fuel line.

morleymackam

Jul 14, 2007
I tend to fuel mine on Sainsburys fuel to be honest and it's fine. Saying that it is supposed to be bo diesel.

AndyC567

Feb 28, 2006
Never had a problem with Tesco Diesel..

I buy two tankfuls a week and do 800 miles.

Good for the clubcard points which means plenty cheap clubcard deals ;-)

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I have always used tesco derv in my company astra's, over the last 10 years I have done about 500,000 miles on tesco derv with no problems at all

Birdy

Nov 30, 2006
Manchester (astley)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6405051.stm

I know that the above link was regarding petrol but something like this could of happend to the diesel!

Just seems a bit funny this is the second time i have filled up at tesco and its the second time my FR has started to play up, anyhow i have now filled up again with shell and the car is back to normal.