was just about to order a set of hid's and ballasts when I came across this.

Cupra-Matt

Feb 12, 2005
Notts
Found on Department of transport pages. Had heard this somwhere before, mate of a mate of a mate etc...

Aftermarket HID (Xenon) headlamps
Print Download PDF
Fact sheet: Aftermarket HID headlamps
December 2006
In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon. If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps. The reason for this is that the existing lens and reflector are designed around a Halogen filament bulb, working to very precise tolerances. If one places a HID "burner" (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern.

The following is the legal rationale:

The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 regulate the situation in the UK.
Under these Regulations, HID/Gas Discharge/Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.

However new vehicles have HID headlamps. This is because they comply to European type approval Regulations. The UK cannot refuse to register a vehicle with a European type approval. These are to ECE Regulation 98 (for the HID headlamps which are tested on a rig in a laboratory) and ECE Regulation 48 (Lighting Installation on the vehicle).

For the after market, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because it is only applicable for new vehicles. However we feel that saying "HID is banned in the after market" would not be reasonable. Instead we should make analogies with new vehicles. It would be reasonable to require HID in the after market to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply.

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the after market should:

1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.

2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).

3. Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.

In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

If you require any further information regarding the regulations covered by this fact sheet, please contact the DfT at the address below:

Transport Technology and Standards 6
Department for Transport
Zone 2/04
Great Minster House
76 Marsham Street
London
SW1P 4DR

Telephone: 020 7944 2078
Fax: 020 7944 2196
Email: [email protected]

link to original page..... http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

really dont know what to do now.:shrug:

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
Not this again.:headhurt: If your worried about it not passing an MOT just remove the HID bulb and refit the standard bulb which is a 5 min job, not that it will fail an MOT because you have an HID kit fitted.

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Seen this before...HID will pass the MOT fine...plod won't know any different either. The out lense on a leon is e marked and you can control the level of the lights in the car using the 1,2,3 switch next to the lights! Keep them clean and your complying with all the legislation anyways!

Make sure they are alligned properly (which if your existing headlights are alligned then your HID's will probably be fine).

The worst that can happen is that you will be told to take them out! by who though I'm not sure ha ha!

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
it can't fail the MOT. they're not allowed to remove 'trim' to look at the bulb.

all the police can do is incist you get it retested at an MOT place, where it will pass.

edmong

GHE Tuning
Aug 15, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
Seen this before...HID will pass the MOT fine...plod won't know any different either. The out lense on a leon is e marked and you can control the level of the lights in the car using the 1,2,3 switch next to the lights! Keep them clean and your complying with all the legislation anyways!

Make sure they are alligned properly (which if your existing headlights are alligned then your HID's will probably be fine).

The worst that can happen is that you will be told to take them out! by who though I'm not sure ha ha!

I cant get you to take them out yet, but no doubt the DfT will put it in writing to me soon.

dmmsta

Sold car - bought bike
Feb 10, 2007
Maidstone - Kent
are proper xenon hid headlights available for the leon? if so how much are they in comparison?

Don't think the Mk1 Leon's came with a HID option...infact I'm almost sure of it.

Retro fit all the way.

I've got both Dipped & High beam in mine, and have never had a problem, got the alignment checked after fitting, and also been thru an MOT since then too, with no quibbles from the tester either time.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
that they are hypocrites and to be honest think its a bit rich for a VOSA employee to be driving in an illegal car.

But hey its Britain, do we expect anything else

andycupra

status subject to change
the only worry i see is if they ammend the MOT testing procedures to take into account refro fitted HIDs. (much in the same way they have ammended the MOT testing procedures regardign number plates).

However on the flip side, if they are safely fitted, aligned corectly and operatate correctly there seems little reason to stop this.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
you have retrofitted xenons, without the required items, ie slef levelling, and a headlight cleaning system, also pretty sure theres a limit on the range you can use too, most standard fit ones are 4k, so yes its illegal, even though it may well have an MOT. If your completly happy that it legal, then whack a letter to your insurance comapny telling them what you have done. Be a nice get out clause for em if you did have a claim. Working for VOSA you should know why its not legal

Wheely

Nov 19, 2003
The Sou' West
Visit site
I actually took my HIDs off as I got flashed by too many people. Maybe they were a crap set - but in the end I turned the levelling low - but still it was way-bright (got in my friends car and he drove behind me in mine). I did try reseating bulbs many times without better success - the light scattering was very poor.

Anyhoo, moving on, I am sure in the very near future there will be insurance issues with this. Can you imagine any of you HID'ers driving down a country lane or any road and hitting someone else in a minor or bad RTA ? If they state for a second that they were dazzled by you and you were found to have non standard bulbs fitted - whether they're illegal or not (which seems to be borderline right now) - your insurance claim could go right against you - even resulting in your own insurance not paying you out.

You may chose to reject this -- but we all know insurance is a business and a business needs to make money. So if it can do anything to stop your payout it will.

Just food for lunchtime thought.

(I really liked my visibility when I had the HIDs fitted and I do miss them).

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members