Washers stopped working

Zboro

Oct 24, 2020
Hi all.
Got a car a month ago and absolutely love it. 2017 Leon Fr 1.4 ACT. I ran out of the screen wash, topped it up and the washer motor is silent, not working. I hope it is a blown fuse not a pump itself. Any idea what fuse to look at. Those behing the glove box are the pain to get to so I don't really want to go one by one. The fuse diagram is pretty useless as it doesn't specify the washer pump etc. Thanks.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
According to the owner’s manual, front washer unit fuse is in the engine bay fuse box near to the battery, not the glovebox, so should be easier to check:

Position 19, 30A.

It’s also been fairly cold recently - if the previous owner filled it with weak or no screen wash then it may have frozen. You’ve stated that the level was low - a smaller volume will also freeze more easily.

Zboro

Oct 24, 2020
Hi. The fuse looks ok, might get it replaced tomorrow just to make sure. Temperature wise, it has been quite warm to be honest 13C day time, now it is 9C, Nottingham, UK.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Can you swap the fuse with another 30A one in the box to diagnose? I see that you also have a wireless charging fault in another thread?

If you bought the car from a dealer/garage, I would take it back and get them to scan it for faults?

If private, it might be worth seeing if one of the members on here can complete a VCDS scan of your car to see what fault codes have been registered?

I’m a couple hours north of you - scraping ice off the windows at 5pm a few days ago!

Zboro

Oct 24, 2020
I'll buy a fuse tomorrow, just for a piece of mind. Fuse 19 is a front windscreen washer. English is not my first language so I'm a bit confused what does it actually mean. Is it a washer pump or a wipers motor? Wipers are fine by the way. I don't have a clue. Call me crazy but I drove down to Cornwall to buy this car, 5h drive. I took a risk so going back to the dealer, no it is not worth it. VCDS scan sound like a good advice. I was thinking of buying myself OBDeleven or Carista for personal use but not sure how they compare with VCDS. Thanks for your response ?

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
I'll buy a fuse tomorrow, just for a piece of mind. Fuse 19 is a front windscreen washer. English is not my first language so I'm a bit confused what does it actually mean. Is it a washer pump or a wipers motor? Wipers are fine by the way. I don't have a clue. Call me crazy but I drove down to Cornwall to buy this car, 5h drive. I took a risk so going back to the dealer, no it is not worth it. VCDS scan sound like a good advice. I was thinking of buying myself OBDeleven or Carista for personal use but not sure how they compare with VCDS. Thanks for your response ?
I personally wouldn't bother with Carista, but OBDeleven is very good, probably the next best thing to VCDS.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I had a panic at mot time recently, wipers nor washers working, found they don't operate when the bonnet is even partially open, mechanic had pulled the lever whilst checking seatbelts in readyness for the underbonnet check!

Zboro

Oct 24, 2020
My wipers are working fine just that bloody washer pump stopped working after I ran out of the screen wash. Tomorrow I'll try to swap the fuse no 19 under the hood as advised. Thanks for a tip ? MOT not due until March.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
You could try blowing back down the feed line(after the nrv s) in case the pump has sucked up gunge and jammed?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise