Water leak in boot - NOT the usual rear washer problem

atze_etze

check both sides ... right and left mine where both leaky

my right hinge was tight after the first sealing because if i drain water over right hinge ... nothing gathers in the right corner and no water visible on c-pillar

in my case , water was comming from the left hinge and it gathers right side in the corner where ventialtion grill is ...

my car stands slightly on an incline area ... so this is why the water is flowing from the left side to the right side ...

i hope u understand what i mean .. bad bad english ;)

i know it sounds strange .... but it is what it is :)

Last edited by a moderator:

someone_99

yes, my problem is left side...... left hinge but to seal it completely need to remove the 5th door, cos i cant get to the top edge....

atze_etze

yes, my problem is left side...... left hinge but to seal it completely need to remove the 5th door, cos i cant get to the top edge....

i bet its not only left side ...

mine were both sides ...

strange thing but the water from the left side gathered in the right corner too...

left side corner dry ... although there was leaky on left hinge ...

Last edited by a moderator:

atze_etze

quick update ...

from top its dry ...

but still have water in right corner boot ... what a joke this is LOL

vwdubnut

Ive been having similar water gathering in corners.
I used some food colouring and poured it over the back.
I used red as my car is yellow, left to run off then
Hosed off all along lines etc with lots of water.
Left it.
Opened boot after 5 mins and had telltale lines from vent and lights.
Will seal now but thought id pass on my tip

Reactions: Snoopy

undertacher

Oct 15, 2013
Romania
It is not a bad ideea.Do like our friend says and do it on parts ,what i mean:

Pour wather on left hinge wait 5 - 10 minutes then check to see if it's wet,pour wather on right hinge wait,check and do that on the other parts.U can change the colours for right and left side .

Jan 3, 2006
East Kilbride
So did you guys solve this problem with sealing the plastic cover things at the hinges? I have the same or very similar problem but I think it might be the rubber door seal. Anyone tried replacing this?

Last edited:

Aimez

971a2bfa651249bb17f29579139c164e.jpg

Ahhhh my car been leaking for about 3 years I saw a leak my my windscreen seal thought was cured but noooo every bloody winter inside windows condensation is horrendous and frozen on the inside even nipping to a shop have to sit in the cat park waiting for the engine to warm up to clear it is driving me crazy!! So it rained alot last weekend and I sat and traced it up to here. You cannot see where the water drains from to get to this point as it is like a hole behind this point. I sat on a hill and flat. It drains from here down the rear light wiring into the spare wheel well. It drips constantly from the drivers side and a little from passenger side too. I have yet to see if the boot open or closed makes a difference however.

Feb 7, 2019
Can anyone help??? I own a 2010 Seat ibiza 1.2 5door I've got a leak in the boot at the rear drivers side wall I got a new rubber seal and tailgate light from Seat but still the leak is there anyone be able to find the cure!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-03-10-10-45-49.png
    Screenshot_2019-03-10-10-45-49.png
    702.2 KB · Views: 98

undertacher

Oct 15, 2013
Romania
At the trunk door hinge, check. Try to poor wather there and see if is coming in the trunk

Trimis de pe al meu ANE-LX1 folosind Tapatalk

Snoopy

Apr 24, 2002
Durham, England.
Im only about 6 yrs late to this party but I also have this leak now! Don't seem to have any traces of damp in the dust in there. Just a wet corner and sponge after that box section filled up with water and overflowed into the boot. Going to see if its the light as left paper towel round it. Then will start looking at the hinges and ariel as discussed earlier in the thread.

Unless someone knows better by now?

Snoopy

Apr 24, 2002
Durham, England.
..Not the rear light.
..Not the bumper vent.
..Not the roof ariel.

Watched the water coming round from behind the arch to the rear. After it rained.

Removed centre rear roof trim panel.
..Not passenger side hatch hinge as dust dry.
..Not drivers side inner side of hatch hinge as dust dry.

Heavy rain stopped play.

..To do.. remove c-pillar trim to check outer drivers side hatch hinge.
..To do.. figure out how to remove fuel filler trim and see if its coming from there..

If neither of those im confused..

Last edited:

Snoopy

Apr 24, 2002
Durham, England.
I watched the water come round the back of the arch to this box section...

You can see some of the most recent water from a rain shower in the photo

Attachments

• 20201010_142342.jpg
    20201010_142342.jpg
    473.2 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

icestorm81

Sep 9, 2008
Dorset, Dorchester
Iv got water coming into the boot as well. Its collecting in the box section at the bottom between the arch and bottom of the lights. Seems to be coming in through the rear spoiler. Already resealed the rear lights and aerial.

undertacher

Oct 15, 2013
Romania
For sure not from rear spoiler is coming. We believe that the boot hinges, but not sure. Write here if you discover something new.

Trimis de pe al meu VOG-L29 folosind Tapatalk