Water leak into footwell - dodgy seal info and DIY repair guide (Image links dead)

marshyc

Mar 12, 2006
Huddersfield
marshy,

i have called them back and they are insistant this is the correct price? they have offerd to refund it

so i have paid £57 all in for two seals!!!!!!

i will go to another dealer

Robbing :censored:

Take your money somewhere else.

I might even be tempted to ring SEAT UK and complain to them.

strideredc

I called them back to double check and he said, no its defiantly £25 for each seal! They have offered me a refund but I have to go back to get it!

I went to another dealer today and got the four in a box for £25! Are these people thick or just out to rob you?[:@]

Thanks for your advice…

Altgr

Great posts :D

I take off door trim and put some silicon to seal,but now I have trouble with the locking mechanism,locking and unlocking passanger door. Can anyone help?

marshyc

Mar 12, 2006
Huddersfield
I called them back to double check and he said, no its defiantly £25 for each seal! They have offered me a refund but I have to go back to get it!

I went to another dealer today and got the four in a box for £25! Are these people thick or just out to rob you?[:@]

Thanks for your advice…

Erm............ I'll go for rob you:D

When you go back mention to them the other dealer giving you them at £25 for the box!

Altgr

Hello

I called dealer today and i found part AKD 497 010 04R10,but now i have trouble..

Price for box (10m) is : £235,92 :(

it is that posible??is that right?

Best Regards

Altgr

I live in Croatia but i cant belive that part is expensive 10 times more than some other country.
:cry:

l18oud

Toledo now all silicon'ed up.

Car's now dry inside but a bit whiffy with the silicon.

At least I won't have a recurring stagnant pond in the rear footwells anymore.

hi i have the smae problem i fvoud it today water in the rear passenger foot well how did you fix it

Culli

as took the front inside door panel off as shown in the guide. then simply loosened the bolts holding the next panel in place. I could clearly see the damaged seal where it was leaking. i then prised the inside panel slightly and put silicon across the bottom and about half way up the sides. re tightened all the bolts and put it back together. nothing has leaked since and ive had no further problems.

Culli

i heard about different types of silicon, and blakc silicon which doesnt smell. i think what i used to just regular silicon like you would use in your home. it was sitting around spare in work.

Andyzx12r

Just registered to say thank you very much for the guide to fixing the water leak problem

The passenger footwells on my 2002 toledo were soaked but after 2 hours and 10 quids worth of sealant they're drying out nicely now... I used a brown coloured external sealant from B&Q and haven't had any odour from it at all.

Many thanks

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:

ayame85

Its worth mentioning that SEAT dealers now have a part you can buy that replaces the foam seal completly and is reusable if the pannel has to be removed again.
Its a roll of thick black sticky rubber that you put on the door where the foam seal would touch. When you bolt up the inner pannel the rubber compresses and forms a watertight seal around the pannel.
I did mine a few weeks ago with this stuff and it not leaked since. Theres also enough left over for possibly another door to be done as well :)

Do you know of anywhere I can buy this stuff online? or what the stuff's official name is, doubt its called black sticky rubber hehe?

Thanks a bunch :D

ayame85

Hi,
Does anyone know how to get the carpets up, my cupra is leaking in the front passenger, the rear passenger and it was leaking in the rear drivers sides but that seems to have stopped but i wanna check it out anyway.
I just need to get the carpets up (not nes all the way out) to get rid of any underlying water and try and dry the carpet out p.s. any tips on how to dry out the carpet other than ''wait for a hot day'' would be fab too.

Thank guys

l18oud

rent a dehumidifier its the only way to fully dry it speedy hire do one think its arroud ££40

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
It's not just the carpets that are sodden, it's the rubber backed soundproofing under them.
No choice but to strip it it, you'll probably find the "underlay" falls apart.

marshyc

Mar 12, 2006
Huddersfield
Do you know of anywhere I can buy this stuff online? or what the stuff's official name is, doubt its called black sticky rubber hehe?

Thanks a bunch :D

Use the search facility and you will find what you are looking for.

It is called a seal kit and the part number is either in this thread several times or another similar thread.

You can only get it from the stealers but others have found similar stuff elsewhere or just use silicon.

sahunt

I wouldn't bother. I've done one door with the special VAG sealing cord, and two with bathroom silicon goo from B&Q, and the silicon works just as well, it's lots cheaper, and it's easier to apply (with a gun). The important thing is to not take the short-cut of siliconing *over* the join; you need to get the sealant to be like the filling in the sandwich. The stealership actually did claim they fixed the leaks (long ago) but they simply plastered a lot of black mastic over the join, and it soon leaked.

-- Steve

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.