Water leak into footwell - dodgy seal info and DIY repair guide (Image links dead)

alex_morley

Well that was a fun hour or so last night!
In the freezing cold of Manchester in the dark, I decided to remove the carpets so I can start to dry it all out (not loving the idea of water frozen to the inside of the windscreen like last year so want to get this sorted ASAP!).

I followed the basics of Marshy's directions (though mine was a bit more complex as I've got electric seats) and managed to get the front driver's seat, rear seat section behind the driver and all trim around the door-frame and footwells out on the driver's side.

I then realised that I've only ever had water in that side of the car, nothing in the passenger side at all as these were sealed up properly by the garage when I bought the car - why they only did that side I have no idea!

I decided therefore, to cheat! I carefully sliced the carpet along a natural lay-line and the same with the soundproofing so that I didn't have to remove the tunnel cladding, air con, radio, glovebox etc. I took out the offending SOAKED carpets (they literally ran with water for about half an hour). Some areas of the metal footwell were still about half an inch deep in water so I soaked this up with towels and am now trying to sort the best place for the carpet and soundproofing to dry out.

I've also ordered two crystal-based dehumidifiers to put in the car to try and soak up the moisture which is bound to still be in there while the carpets are drying in the shed/house.

I'll let you know how it goes and hopefully will have a clean, dry car soon!

Al

ricothedrummer

Thanks for the guide dude. I couldn't see the drain holes when I dismantled the carrier so I think I found the problem.
Only thing is, it happens on all four doors !
Something for the weekend. lol :funk:

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
The drain holes are 3 oval holes in the door, get on your back and pull the rubber to one side and you'll see them, just snip the rubber so it will allow the water to drain out of the door, rather than be trapped when the door is shut.

cuprakitty

May 1, 2007
Wolves, West Midlands
My 04 Leon Cupra has (inevitably) developed a squelchy rear driver's side footwell, and my boots get a thorough wash every time I open the driver's door after rain. This excellent thread inspired me to call my local SEAT dealer and ask whether the black sealing cord is in stock - my partner plans to follow the guide and fix the door(s) before more rainy weather happens and the footwell becomes a puddle.

Chap in the parts department seemed all too familiar with the problem when I described it, and also offered to find out how much they charge to fix it. Expecting prices like others have quoted here, I was surprised that they'd a) do just the affected door(s) and b) charge around £95 per door.

He then suggested that a DIY fix wasn't advisable because "the locking mechanism that's in there makes it a bit tricky" (or words to that effect). This isn't something I've noted from anyone's postings here, so I was a little suspicious/sceptical.

Anyone have any thoughts/comments on the "trickiness" (or not) of negotiating the central locking mechanism when dismantling the doors to fix the leaks as described in the guide? Any issues experienced with locking not working after doing this and putting door bits back together?

alexj124

Mar 2, 2005
Edinburgh
well i did all my doors on my leon and found it really easy by following this.

Absolutely no need to get the garage to do it for 95 quid per door

alex_morley

Tube of sealant costs about £10 for very good stuff, gun for applying it costs about £5. This will easily be enough to do all four doors!

Personally I'd rather spend £15 and spend an hour doing it myself to all four doors than spend £380 for someone else to do it!

cuprakitty

May 1, 2007
Wolves, West Midlands
well i did all my doors on my leon and found it really easy by following this.

Absolutely no need to get the garage to do it for 95 quid per door

No fear - I've no intention of paying them to do it. I was just suspicious as to why they think doing it yourself is "tricky" because of "the locking mechanisms" when nobody here has mentioned any issues with locking.

Suspect it was a feeble attempt to try to get more money than the value of the parts from me.

alex_morley

I think you're probably right as there's absolutely no need to go anywhere near the locking mechanism whatsoever. Sealing the door panel to the carrier plate doesn't go anywhere near the lock mechanism so don't worry about that.

marshyc

Mar 12, 2006
Huddersfield
The locking mechanism would only become an issue, and not a big one at that, if you took the whole carrier plate off the door but there is no need to do this. It can easily be sealed with the carrier still on the door.

The stealer is just after your money!

Also just doing the affected doors, or the ones you think are affected is a bit of a false economy and won't always work. When I did mine I was sure that it was just the fronts but thought if they had gone then the rears wouldn't be far behind. So I checked the rears and found these to be just as bad as the fronts so all 4 were done using the sealing cord from the stealers. Silicon etc. would work just as well though and I did look at the gutter sealant stuff before I decided to go for the cord.

All of my doors now done and carpets/underlay drying nicely. New mats fitted too and car smells like a car now and not like a manky damp drain or something.

KTF

My 2003 Toledo now has a damp drivers side carpet between the front of the seat and the heal pad but there is no evidence of water dripping from underneath the door card or on the bit of plastic trim on the door sill.

I assume the water is still making its way there via the duff seal in the door but I would have expected to see evidence of water on the plastic trim or metal on the door. Has anyone else with wet carpets noticed water on the trim or have I got a water leak coming in from someplace else?

I will still take the door card off at the weekend and have a look as its an easy enough job...

cuprakitty

May 1, 2007
Wolves, West Midlands
Thanks for the confirms on the locking mechanism.

Rain forecast for tomorrow, but we're hoping there'll be a dry spell so we can at least do the one door that soaks my feet! Sessions for the other doors will follow when weather permits. Can't wait to get it done so I can start drying the carpets. I had this happen first a couple of months back but (for various reasons) didn't link the soggy carpet to this well-known problem - and a few long sessions with my hairdryer (ignoring funny looks from neighbours and passers by!) sorted out the dampness a treat... until it built up again :(

Like KTF, I can see no evidence of water on the plastic door surround. I've concluded that it must find its way under the carpet from underneath the door surround somehow - but that's just a guess in the absence of anything more obvious.

marshyc

Mar 12, 2006
Huddersfield
I couldn't see any evidence of leaks on the plastic either but when I checked the seal if was knackered under the speakers on fronts and a little further back on rears.

If your door seals are ok, which I doubt, there is also the bulkhead seal which lets water in. Do a search to find details on this but most likely door seals.

cuprakitty

May 1, 2007
Wolves, West Midlands
All 4 doors sealed :)

And both front seals had disintegrated under the speakers, as you say - driver's side worse than passenger side, so we reckon in a fairly short time the passenger side would have become a swamp too. The back door seals looked okay - but are more than okay with new black sealing cord on them! The old style seal is utterly pathetic! A token gesture if ever I saw one.

Just washed my car (had been avoiding it so as not to make the swamp into a lake) - how overjoyed was I when I finished drying the car, and opened the driver's door to bone dry sills! :D

Thanks all for a great guide and supporting info!

tazdevil2465

Help.

Great post first of all. I've got a 03 plate Toledo V5 and like many people on this thread have developed soggy carpets (the drivers footwell and rear drivers side). The carpets are only wet along the centre console area, i.e. where the gearstick and hand break housing is. Also both the front and rear screens mist up when the car is left standing for a long period of time (8 hours or more).

I've already replaced the big rubber seal around the drivers door thinking it was that, but the water is still there. I assume that my problem is the same as other people's on here (the internal door seal) even though the water is collecting in the centre of the vehicle, not the outside edge.

Can anyone clarify this for me.

thanks

tony

KTF

I couldn't see any evidence of leaks on the plastic either but when I checked the seal if was knackered under the speakers on fronts and a little further back on rears.
Thanks, its been tipping it down again today and if I run my finger along the bottom of the door card where it meets the metal of the door it is definitely wet so it is leaking through the inner seal.

As soon as it stops raining I will reseal everything. I needed to take the passenger one off anyway as the speaker sounds like its on its way out so needed looking at...

Everytime it rains it makes me cringe though as I know whats waiting for me when I open the door :(

cuprakitty

May 1, 2007
Wolves, West Midlands
Although my main swamp problem is the driver's side rear footwell, there is some dampness and a slight 'squelch' in the driver's side front footwell by the rubber inset of the carpet, and between it and the centre console area.

This sounds similar to what you're describing, tazdevil2465.

KTF - I've been cringing every time it rains... but not tonight. It's been chucking it down for a few hours, and I just opened my door to dry sills for the first time in ages. It's a good feeling - well worth the couple of hours and cost of parts that it took to do the job!

KTF

Well I took the door card off on the drivers side and it was leaking in through then corner underneath the speaker. A liberal amount of silicone sealer later soon put a stop to that :) Its been raining since I applied it an no leaks so far.

I also took the door card off the passenger side to push out the speaker grill that the previous owner had kicked at some point and no sign of leaks there. The rear carpet was also OK so not planning to do any more sealing until I see another leak.

strideredc

can i just check with you guys? i have just been charged £25 for each seal AKD 497 010 04R10, ie. if i wanted the box of four it would be £100?

is this right?

marshyc

Mar 12, 2006
Huddersfield
can i just check with you guys? i have just been charged £25 for each seal AKD 497 010 04R10, ie. if i wanted the box of four it would be £100?

is this right?

No way :censored:. They are trying to rip you right off.

It is £25 for the set as it is a kit of modified seals for all the doors.

When the part number is put into the SEAT system it comes up with the price for it. What is in the box is included in the price! Otherwise they would all be individually labelled.

Go somewhere else.

Last edited:

strideredc

marshy,

i have called them back and they are insistant this is the correct price? they have offerd to refund it

so i have paid £57 all in for two seals!!!!!!

i will go to another dealer

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members