Water leak into footwell - dodgy seal info and DIY repair guide (Image links dead)

Big Lach

Hey all, So I''ve had my interior stripped out completely for about a week now - as you know the weather is perfect for spotting where water may be getting in!! ;)

I've sealed the pollen filter, driver's side and all four doors - but water still coming in!! I've located exactly where - from below the front passenger door seal.

Had the hose oh her today and the water is coming in about half way along the bottom of the door seal and wither runs along the sill and down into the front footwell or just spills straight over the edge and runs into the back. Just as well I've got it stripped because you'd not be able to see the water coming in with the carpets and plastic trim still in place.

So my question now is, do I take the tigerseal and seal the bottom of the door seal into place and eliminate the chance for water to get in that way or go and buy a new door seal??

Anyone had the same issue?

Big Lach

Yeah man, I've sealed all the carrier seals on all the doors, no issues at all there anymore. It's coming in from below the rubber door seal that runs round the entire opening - all of the drain holes are clear but when I put the hose on it, after a couple mins the water just started pouring in from below the door seal onto the inner sill then off it and into the footwell! :-/

Big Lach

Ha, aye like I say, without it being stripped bare you'd never see it coming in there!

Out with the tigerseal again then!! Joy!

Big Lach

So I stuck the door seals down onto the spot welded seam on the sill and that's cured the water coming in there :) However, all thats happening now is the water is collecting along the dip between the door and the seal, eventually filling so much that it's spilling into the car rather than draining out the bottom of the door? This hasn't anything to do with the drain holes as such because the water is running down the (closed) door seal and collecting along the bottom (which is above the drain holes which are tucked under the seal). I have pictures but don't seem to be allowed to post them. What a pest!

Big Lach

Ah right, cool, cheers bud. At least my interior is still out and dry!! Not going back in until I can sort this once n for all.....either that or just bore some drain holes and pretend I drive a rally car!!

Gingerbread Man

Aug 22, 2013
Gloucester
Would you believe it, I am about to try and tackle this issue. Been drying out the carpets all morning with a wet VAC. A shower comes, stop what I'm doing, pack up, put car in garage, go inside. Break in the weather so come back out, get the wet VAC going again, go inside for a dump and its raining again, now hail, battery has not enough charge to start engine so my car is sat in pissing rain and hail after I've spent hours drying it already today. I'm seriously annoyed. This car is going on Saturday and its my only day off before, been ill with stomach bug for 4 days and now this.... I hate British weather. 2 hours before my Mrs gets back so I can have bump start with the cables

Edit

As if by magic as I posted there's a little sun.

Back to it then in my sitting duck... !

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Big Lach

Passenger Door Seal

5cd0f213-0033-4de4-8cdd-79dae8c6c14c_zps8f8a6eef.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

b988a539-5192-4f3a-9ab5-7fde96069e88_zpsa5826656.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

So here's my issue - door carriers all sealed up and no longer leaking, however the water is somehow getting in, between the door and seal, running down and collecting in the dip along the bottom between the door and the seal, then when it's full spills over into the front footwell! Anyone had this before? Cheers

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.